Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirror Dimming Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20180106_150924.jpg
3pm eastbound hazy. Desert Center, CA.

Reactions: tracksyde and K-MTG
Hey @bonnie @dragoljub @JoshG @outdoors @dturkes @gg_got_a_tesla

I am quoting you guys here since you own a Model 3...can you guys share pics of your rearview mirror & side mirrors at night. Do your mirrors dim...like mine (pic on post above)??

Thanks!

Yes ours dims, actually also our Model S dims too near dusk. Its almost as if sun setting behind you tricks the light sensor so the car things you are being high-beamed.

I think it would be better if the dimming was not so extreme at night time.

The side mirror dimming is aggressive. It switched on me at some point on my drive home during dusk. So far I am able to see out the side mirrors at night in city lighting, but on a dark remote road, it is going to be problematic.

Do you think Tesla is simply relying on sunset/sunrise data to dim the mirrors instead of lighting conditions?

I don't own a vehicle that dims the side mirrors at night, but I have owned a car with a tinted rear window. I couldn't see out of the back window very well at night. I haven't tinted my rear window since. Now, if you dim the side mirrors at night, aren't you deciding that you are only interested in seeing lights? In my strange head, I would not want any dimming until someone behind me was putting a bunch of blinding light on my side mirror, then it would dim. Otherwise no dim. Am I missing something?

Reactions: preilly44
Every car I’ve had with dimming mirrors darkens them to the point that you can pretty much only see headlights. Is that not what’s happening here? Does it do it too soon when poeple’s headlights aren’t on yet?

Yeah, they appear to dim when its dark outside (headlights/cars behind you or not). So if he's in his garage with the door closed with no lights on, the mirrors are dimmed.

Not sure how to turn off the dimming. Can anyone take a picture of the menu and post please?

I'm not sure there is an option. I can only find two references in the manual:

The driver’s side mirror automatically dims in
low lighting conditions (for example, when
driving at night or through a tunnel) in
proportion to the level of glare from the
headlights of a vehicle behind you (except
when in Reverse).

Rear View Mirror
The rear view mirror is adjusted manually.
Except when in Reverse, the rear view mirror
automatically dims in proportion to the level
of glare from the headlights of a vehicle
behind you.

So it is supposed to dim based on headlights behind you, but from what @K-MTG has reported it is currently hardcoded based on sunset/sunrise...