Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirror mount difference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

I searched for a thread about this but could not find one, though I have seen it mentioned in various threads. The first photo shows the mirror mount on a spring 2015 car. Note the visible Phillips head screw when the mirror is folded. The second photo shows the same location on a late 2013 car with the mirror folded. No screw is visible. Also on the underside of the mirror support there is a seam you can feel towards the leading edge, while on the later car there is only a barely perceptible seam.
Anyone know about when this change took place?
e73b170f9219447b16ee07a40293343e.jpg

26c8339ad230757a070ce93703f47074.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know when it changed, but nobody at my service center knows what the screw is for. I've seen forum posts from people asking what the screw is for, but they never get an answer.

Apparently the screw is one of Tesla's most closely guarded secrets.

the new mirror mounts probably have a screw to let you pop the mirror shell off and replace it with a shell that has a down firing camera, for parking

...or replace the shell for a small rear facing camera, that is used instead of a mirror, shows what's there on the center console, split screen left and right