Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Misread Speed Signs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen this a few times and finally managed to get a pic of it

The speed signs here are for 10 KPH, it's a school car park

(Australia, right hand drive)

But most of the time I go past tem it shows up as 30 and the Last sign seen is 50 and this is the 3rd set of them

Not sure what is going on

Attachments

• 2752456781258500436.jpg
    2752456781258500436.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 114
The picture shows the sign on the right side of the roadway, which, I assume, is the opposite side from where speed limit signs are normally posted in Australia. I can't see why that would make a difference, but curious if the other misread signs were also on the right side of the road?

I was driving on the highway last weekend on AP. Two lane but curvy at points. 55mph limit. When road curved kinda sharply, yellow speed limit sign went to 45 for the curve. Display on the car still showed 55. And car didn’t slow either. It’s as if it totally ignored the yellow sign. This was broad daylight and sign clearly visible

I was driving on the highway last weekend on AP. Two lane but curvy at points. 55mph limit. When road curved kinda sharply, yellow speed limit sign went to 45 for the curve. Display on the car still showed 55. And car didn’t slow either. It’s as if it totally ignored the yellow sign. This was broad daylight and sign clearly visible
My car has never responded to yellow speed limit signs like you see before curves. Yellow speed limit signs are advisory, not official speed limits. That doesn’t mean the car should ignore them, but I can understand why it does.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and 2101Guy
My car has never responded to yellow speed limit signs like you see before curves. Yellow speed limit signs are advisory, not official speed limits. That doesn’t mean the car should ignore them, but I can understand why it does.
Interesting because there is yellow sign on side of road with flashing yellow lights near me on a 55mph boulevard. The sign warns drivers of stoplight at intersection coming up soon. The sign is so far in advance of the actual intersection that drivers all start to slow AFTER they pass the actual sign. When on AP, the car starts slowing (rather aggressively but not in a panic) almost as soon as it detects the sign. Perhaps its the flashing yellow lights?

But on same road heading the other direction during school hours? As you approach the school area, there is also a different sign with a "25mph" speed limit zone (not yellow sign, usual white with black lettering) with a flashing yellow light. When on AP, I have to manually slow down in the school zone as the car seems to ignore that sign.

FSD doesn’t reconize school speed limit signs yet. Like “No Turn on Red” signs, this feature still needs to be added. I hope the car has the computer processing speed required to add these and other needed features.

GSP

Interesting because there is yellow sign on side of road with flashing yellow lights near me on a 55mph boulevard. The sign warns drivers of stoplight at intersection coming up soon. The sign is so far in advance of the actual intersection that drivers all start to slow AFTER they pass the actual sign. When on AP, the car starts slowing (rather aggressively but not in a panic) almost as soon as it detects the sign. Perhaps its the flashing yellow lights?
When using FSD Beta, my car always slows down for flashing yellow lights, with or without a speed limit sign. That's one of the cases where I always have to intervene by nudging the "gas" pedal.

Another observation: when I’m approaching an e regency vehicle in shoulder with its emergency lights flashing: sometimes I get a notice on my dash cluster about an upcoming emergency vehicle. Sometimes I don’t. It’s inconsistent like the green light chime

So we have a section on I95 in VA near Fredericksburg where they have recently installed electronic variable speed limit signs. The speeds range from 70 mph down to 35 mph at times. My 2017 Model S with FSD beta reads all of them correctly every time unless the speed is less than 45 mph. When the sign shows any speed under that, it's like the car starts guessing "do you mean 55 mph" or "65 mph"? So it just starts selecting random speeds that it thinks are practical for an interstate highway. Happens every time. And since I have been noticing more and more variable speed limit zones, this needs to be fixed. The car should believe it's own "eyes".

Reactions: 2101Guy
So we have a section on I95 in VA near Fredericksburg where they have recently installed electronic variable speed limit signs. The speeds range from 70 mph down to 35 mph at times. My 2017 Model S with FSD beta reads all of them correctly every time unless the speed is less than 45 mph. When the sign shows any speed under that, it's like the car starts guessing "do you mean 55 mph" or "65 mph"? So it just starts selecting random speeds that it thinks are practical for an interstate highway. Happens every time. And since I have been noticing more and more variable speed limit zones, this needs to be fixed. The car should believe it's own "eyes".
You’re probably right — the car might assume it misread the limit if it’s too low for an interstate.

This is a sign on the access road to a school car park. So I doubt there would be any mapping data available for it

Some days it will recognise like this incorrectly and somedays completely ignore it too. But it has never got it right!

There are 3 along the road and they are always the same either nil or wrong

Oh car is on 2023.2.12