Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mission Motorcycles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I were Mission, I would do everything I could to make this happen, since it would not only be of huge advantage to its customers to have a true fast-charging network in North America, Europe and China, but also give the company a certain level of prestige and a huge (huge!, I say) amount of press.
I still don't see why they would want to do this. IIRC a chademo charger can be bought by anyone w/ $10k or whatever. A Tesla SC cannot be purchased at any price. Why would a company put their fast-charge strategy completely in the hands of another company? I realize we all think Tesla's $hit doesn't stink but it would be incredibly stupid for Mission to put itself in that position.

And with a 17kWh pack there's just no need for a 135kW SC. 50kW chademo is plenty and likely all the bike could handle anyway. Finally, although they may build a cruiser/touring bike someday their current bike will not be ridden inter-city by many people which is where the SC network is useful. It will be a track day and weekend toy and I don't think you're going to convince Tesla to install SC's at places like the Rock Store, Alice's restaurant, or race tracks.

Zeros big dig on Mission was that "scary high voltage" battery so I suspect the R battery is SC compatible. Current can be turned all the way down so the fact that the source is 135kw capable is not really relevant.

As for it being crazy, the supplies mentioned above make track days possible for the minority that track bikes while the SC make DC available to the rest of us buying the bike with an ever increasing network of chargers. Unless u live in CA or NC, Chademo is a myth.

I also think that supercharger compatibility would be overkill for the bike. I'd be perfectly happy if Tesla agreed to host Mission Motors bikes in their Showrooms - I think that is something both manufacturers would profit from. It would give Tesla good press and an even sportier and more dynamic Image (like BMW motorcycles do for the BMW cars) and Mission would get access to all the prime Locations and a well-off customer base. Many People don't even know Tesla exists - how many people know about Mission Motors and high performance electric motorcycles? Perhaps one in fifty electric car fans?

It comes up a lot on this forum, and even from the Tesla factory tour guide, that the Supercharger is just "too much" for lesser vehicles. This is wrong, because the vehicle ALWAYS controls the voltage and amperage.

The problems that ZERO was / is having with a 100 volt bike is that many of the CHAdeMO stations aren't compliant with the standard 100-500 volts). When Blink was cashing in a government paycheck, quality and standards weren't too important.

But, it has been suggested that a switch be added so that the bike can operate on 100 volts and charge at 200 volts.

it has been suggested that a switch be added so that the bike can operate on 100 volts and charge at 200 volts.
This would require two battery pack 'halves' with identical voltage/capacity and kept at identical state-of-charge, and then 3 switches (contactors) to make/break connections so it can be configured in series for charging and then in parallel for operation/driving. Not counting a BMS (battery management system) that can support/handle these two different configuration modes. Seems like a lot of added complexity. All that said, it's a shame most of the CHAdeMO stations don't support the low-end voltage requirement of the standard.

By overkill I did not really mean the power of a supercharger, I meant the supercharger place would be sorta "wasted" on a vehicle that could recharged by some powerful standard charger just as quickly because it just can't take much more current. When Gen III comes out those supercharger spots will be BUSY.

By overkill I did not really mean the power of a supercharger, I meant the supercharger place would be sorta "wasted" on a vehicle that could recharged by some powerful standard charger just as quickly because it just can't take much more current. When Gen III comes out those supercharger spots will be BUSY.
But my point is that Tesla SC's are in general not in places where sportbike riders go. Most are on Interstates which are hell on earth on a sportbike. The vast majority of sportbike riders that I know are of the "Sunday Ride" variety and have a few-hundred-mile loop they do on weekend days. At least around here there are not Tesla SC's along these routes. But one of the hotspots to hang out and pose already has a 50A locking plug available to EVs and it's conceivable that folks could pool their money for a chademo charger and the restaurant would host it - would be rather like owners getting Tesla HPCs installed a few years back. But they can't do that w/ a Tesla SC.

seems to me our points just complement each other - sc capability would be wasted because the station will be needed for the Gen IIIs AND the stations are not and will never be where the bike usually go, if I have understood your point correctly :smile:

This would require two battery pack 'halves' with identical voltage/capacity and kept at identical state-of-charge, and then 3 switches (contactors) to make/break connections so it can be configured in series for charging and then in parallel for operation/driving. Not counting a BMS (battery management system) that can support/handle these two different configuration modes. Seems like a lot of added complexity. All that said, it's a shame most of the CHAdeMO stations don't support the low-end voltage requirement of the standard.

Yes, it is all that. Is there another option to be able to compensate for the low quality publically funded CHAdeMO chargers out there?

If Tesla truly opens up it's SC tech so they can be built by 3rd parties then I agree w/ LCC and amend my statements above. MM could be the first "SC partner" and there could be some good press from that. We'll see.

Anyone heard from MM? Back in April they sent an e-mail that they'd be following up in May w/ a "schedule of events" and that production would begin in Q2 which ends this month.

Original expectations set for July-Sept (early S) now pushed to Sept-Nov.

A delay of two or even three months is no big deal I think (hope) ... look at what is going on with the Model X, the Model III, the Elio threewheeler ...

That said, I hope if they do go belly up Elon comes to the rescue. BMW car division has always profited from the sporty, adventurous and dynamic image conferred by the far smaller motorcycle division, I imagine it would work out for Tesla, too.