Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mission Motorcycles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The supercharger network won't be ideal for the Mission R - at least for some time - because the chargers are spaced for 85 kWh cars, not 15 kWh bikes.

There is a Tesla adapter for CHAdeMO, but it's rather bulky to carry on a bike.

I think the better plan is to support either CHAdeMO or J1772 Combo (or both) .. Nissan is rolling out a charger network now that would work well for the Mission bikes.

I'm looking at the Mission R as well, primarily because of its DC charging support.

This is off on a tangent, but has anybody in the Bay Area gone to Lightning Motorcycles? They're located in San Carlos and are also supposed to start selling their insane electric motorcycle this year.
Lightning Electric Motorcycles VIN 000001 Registered

The Lightning motorcycle won the Pike's Peak Hill Climb this year (overall for all motorcycles). I thought the first real race to be won by an electric vehicle would be the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. I was right about that, but I thought it would be an electric car and not an electric motorcycle that would win it first.

This is off on a tangent, but has anybody in the Bay Area gone to Lightning Motorcycles? They're located in San Carlos and are also supposed to start selling their insane electric motorcycle this year.
Lightning Electric Motorcycles VIN 000001 Registered

The Lightning motorcycle won the Pike's Peak Hill Climb this year (overall for all motorcycles). I thought the first real race to be won by an electric vehicle would be the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. I was right about that, but I thought it would be an electric car and not an electric motorcycle that would win it first.
So show me a freaking picture of the bike and not just a VIN plate! I was incredibly close to pulling the trigger on a Lightning a couple years ago but I told them I wanted to wait until they delivered a street-legal machine. Not that I care about riding around on the street but I figured it would mean that by that point the bike would have a certain level of refinement. The race bike that they showed me very much looked like it was built for Maker Fair or Burning Man. It performed, no doubt, but it just looked like a development mule/prototype and I want something more "complete".

I have money ready and waiting, it will go to Mission or Lightning, whichever can deliver the best machine.

Mission Motors' motorcycle definitely looks more polished and finished like a real product. You have to give Lightning Motorcycles credit for winning the Pikes Peak Hill Climb though. It's also impressive that they hit 218mph at the Bonneville Salt Flats with just a change in sprockets; for reference, the current production bike top speed record is 193.24mph.

Mission Motors' motorcycle definitely looks more polished and finished like a real product. You have to give Lightning Motorcycles credit for winning the Pikes Peak Hill Climb though. It's also impressive that they hit 218mph at the Bonneville Salt Flats with just a change in sprockets; for reference, the current production bike top speed record is 193.24mph.
Don't get me wrong, the bike can clearly perform in the right hands. Though we haven't seen a road race between a Lightning and a Mission R and that's what matters to me. I like the artist rendition of the Lightning but it's been a few YEARS now and all I've seen are the same drawings. You can call me shallow but I don't want a $38,000 bike that looks like the Gixxer 750 I raced 15 years ago. At the end of the day I can't wait when all of these new electric sportbikes are out and we can get some head to head comparison tests done. Can only be good for the industry as a whole.

Well, also a slipstream fairing.

081611-thede-lighning-motorcycles-bonneville.jpg

The Lightning bike is very fast - and rightfully the two-wheeled king of the hill at PPIHC - but I get the feeling it's not exactly productized yet. It doesn't help that we still haven't seen the official street fairings - over a year and a half after announcement - or any hard specifications on the street bike. Battery capacity? Range? Weight? Power? On-board charger?

I'd like to have an electric motorcycle. I will definitely buy one but want more traditional (Harley) styling and features. I'm not really interested in laying prone on the gas tank and going 200 mph. I'm assuming that this will be coming at some point.

I'd like to have an electric motorcycle. I will definitely buy one but want more traditional (Harley) styling and features. I'm not really interested in laying prone on the gas tank and going 200 mph. I'm assuming that this will be coming at some point.

Brutus V9 Electric Motorcycle No idea how capable of actually delivering this company is, but they're claiming a large Harley style cruiser with a ~19 or 34 kwh battery with up to 210 miles of highway range. Its a massive looking bike with matching weight and price tags.

Al,
I've grown fond of my Zero DS. I spent the last twenty years on liter class sport bikes and the Zero was my first exposure to electric. In fact, it was the thing that made me realize range anxiety was not real and that made the MS a real possibility (and, of course, led to purchasing them). Anyway, I kinda like the enduro feel of the Zero DS and will likely keep it when the Mission shows up. I guess I'm getting older.

I just can not pass up on the idea of a 120hp electric with liter class performance :)

Zax,

Nope, not remotely close. It's 54 hp and weights just over 400lbs so it is not stellar. It does have the always available torque of the electric which makes it a hoot to ride. Unlike my old S1000RR, it flicks easily through traffic (no big crank whirling around) and does not fry me with heat when I stop at a light. It's just a very fun toy with a surprising amount of utility (as in, I put 5K miles on my BMW in three years and the same on my Zero in 7 months!).

Now 520lbs and 120hp with more torque than any existing liter class bike can muster will be impressive. Rapp seems to like it :)

Brutus V9 Electric Motorcycle No idea how capable of actually delivering this company is, but they're claiming a large Harley style cruiser with a ~19 or 34 kwh battery with up to 210 miles of highway range. Its a massive looking bike with matching weight and price tags.
I love this! Not my cup of tea but I'm glad there will be a cruiser option for electric. 34kWh battery! That is impressive stuff. I also like how they "exhaust wrapped" what I guess are cooling lines to make them look like pipes. Fun stuff.

I recently had the pleasure of having Mark on one of my flights. Spent ~45 mins talking with him about MM and other topics. Great guy with incredible visions/goals/projects. He was kind enough to bring the techno-speak of many topics down to a level a pilot could understand :confused:. After talking with him I gathered MM is very humble when it comes to the capabilities of their motorcycles.

mission motorcycles.JPG

Out of F45 four or five times a week and the front seat is normally open.

WRT competing, I learned a long time ago that my biggest mistakes followed "watch this" so I avoid competition. I just fly for fun.

Lastly, the Extras are all gone. My current bird is a MX2 which I built. You ok with experimental?

WhirlWind Propeller

WRT "competing" LOL I saw the 916 pic OUCH!!

couple hundred hrs in an RV4 and a couple thousand in BE-18s down in OPF (both conventional gear) I think any 50yo airplane should be migrated to "EXPERIMENTAL".

You'll have to promise to go easy on me, I've been a 1-2G guy for many years :scared: (except in my Tesla)