Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger no longer included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That MAY BE true only if you leave out the cost of installing the Wall Connector, compared to the cost of installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Installing the Wall Connector is about $500 more, retail (i.e. what the electrician would charge me).....whether there's "1 less copper wire" is immaterial to my final cost, and whether there's a face plate is immaterial to my use and enjoyment. I know, because I've priced them. YMMV.

The up-side is that a Tesla Wall Connector is several hundred dollars cheaper than a name-brand, reliable J1772 EVSE.

The comparison to Apple is apt, given that both are vertically integrated companies, creating almost a closed marketplace.
I understand that some electricians may be charging higher rates for installing the Wall Connector or for Tesla EV charging circuits in general. One way to ensure that you are not being overcharged would be to request two quotes, one for the NEMA 14-50 receptacle and the second quote for the Wall Connector. The electrician should be able to provide a break down of the costs. Finally, keep looking until you find an electrician who meets your needs.

I think that the bottom line here is that Tesla will keep increasing prices and removing things as long as people are ready to pay for their cars. Like many companies before, they are shamelessly using a crisis (here the supply chain issues and the gas prices) to make permanent changes that will increase profit. I am hoping that the rise of other EVs and improvements to other charging networks will lead to decrease in orders from Tesla, which hopefully makes them reconsider some of their business practices. Until then, they’ll keep pulling stuff like this.

On a personal level, I’m so happy I didn’t wait to order my car in January 2020. Got my car 3 days after I ordered, it has passenger lumbar support, a mobile connector and was $11,000 (maybe more at this point, hard to keep up with those price increases) cheaper than it is now. Some people are still waiting for the 4680 battery.

I wouldn’t say that I use my MC often, but I’ve used it more than a dozen times, mostly to top off or leech at airbnbs or family members. Much like Elon, I am a penny pincher, so I like to get my cheap power where I can!

Reactions: vanjwilson
FYI I am waiting on MY like many others. I wasn’t promised Razen but I assume that MY will have it as well as other improvements. As I said I am disappointed in Elons decision but it is not the end of the world.
I'm not saying it's the end of the world, but when a company makes a mistake, they need to be called out on it. Corrections can only be made if we the consumers stand up and let companies know when they've made a bad decision. This was a BAD decision. You can't use the analogy that you're getting these improvements for free so it all evens out, You are paying for these improvements. The Mobile connector is being removed from people who have entered into a purchase agreement that included that Mobile connector, Totally different. Don't get me wrong, If Tesla decided to remove the mobile connector from future orders and called it out as such on the order page for future orders, so be it. People can make informed decisions, that's not what's happening here.

I understand that some electricians may be charging higher rates for installing the Wall Connector or for Tesla EV charging circuits in general. One way to ensure that you are not being overcharged would be to request two quotes, one for the NEMA 14-50 receptacle and the second quote for the Wall Connector. The electrician should be able to provide a break down of the costs. Finally, keep looking until you find an electrician who meets your needs.
A WC circuit is going to be more expensive than a NEMA 14-50 circuit because it needs to carry 60A (48A continuous) rather than 50A (40A continuous) and requires thicker wiring.

You still need a 60A breaker for the Wall Connector.
The Wall Connector can be configured to work on any 120V or 240V circuit rated between 15 amps and 60 amps (15, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60.) You only install a 60 amp breaker if the wiring is rated for a minimum of 60 amps. The Wall Connector setup process ensures that the Wall Connector will limit the maximum amperage to 80% of the circuit (i.e. 48 amps for a 60 amp rated circuit) per the National Electrical Code (NEC) for continuous use cases including EV charging applications. If the circuit wiring is only rated for 50 amps then you install a 50 amp circuit breaker and configure the Wall Connector for 50 amps (in the case of a 50 amp circuit the Wall Connector will automatically limit the charging amperage to 80% of 50 amps (40 amps)).

A WC circuit is going to be more expensive than a NEMA 14-50 circuit because it needs to carry 60A (48A continuous) rather than 50A (40A continuous) and requires thicker wiring.
That is actually incorrect. Its the other way around. NEMA 14-50 uses a 3-wire (plus ground) Romex cable on a 50 amp breaker. That romex is 4GA but not THHN. 14-50's require a neutral wire.

WC Only requires two 4GA THHN Live wires (L1, L2) and a 10ga ground THHN with a 60 amp breaker. Based on an electrical wire site I buy from its just over $1.60 per ft for 4GA THHN single Conductor. So $3.20 for your live power. And whatever 10ga is going for.

You can run wall charger as low as 15amp. It doesn't require 60amp, it CAN go as high as 60 if you want faster charge.
Wall connector doesn't require GFCI breaker ($200 in my case). The regular breaker cost me $30. It should be cheaper to install Wall connector than 14-50 outlet.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
An adapter for a 110 volt outlet (NEMA 5-15) is included as standard equipment with all new Tesla cars.
Guess some intern didn't scrub that from that page yet.

So if all new Teslas come with 110 volt (NEMA 5-15) connector, what do you get for this $200? I use the gen 1 level 2 mobile connector that came with my Model 3 to charge in my garage on the 240v (dryer outlet) I had installed just for this purpose. It looks like Tesla currently sells that same connector (NEMA 14-50 240v) on one end and Tesla plug on the other) for $400.00. Is there a gen 2 level 2 connector kit that accomplishes the same thing? If so, what is it and what does it cost? Or do we have to buy the gen 1 level 2 mobile connector because that capability is what we all want. I know Elon wants us all to buy the wall charger but there is so little difference in the charging speed it doesn’t seem necessary and it isn’t portable. I’m clearly keeping this connector cable when I sell my Model when the November ordered Model Y gets here.

That is actually incorrect. Its the other way around. NEMA 14-50 uses a 3-wire (plus ground) Romex cable on a 50 amp breaker. That romex is 4GA but not THHN. 14-50's require a neutral wire.

WC Only requires two 4GA THHN Live wires (L1, L2) and a 10ga ground THHN with a 60 amp breaker. Based on an electrical wire site I buy from its just over $1.60 per ft for 4GA THHN single Conductor. So $3.20 for your live power. And whatever 10ga is going for.
If you're going to make this analogy, then add in the price of the WC

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
So if all new Teslas come with 110 volt (NEMA 5-15) connector, what do you get for this $200? I use the gen 1 level 2 mobile connector that came with my Model 3 to charge in my garage on the 240v (dryer outlet) I had installed just for this purpose. It looks like Tesla currently sells that same connector (NEMA 14-50 240v) on one end and Tesla plug on the other) for $400.00. Is there a gen 2 level 2 connector kit that accomplishes the same thing? If so, what is it and what does it cost? Or do we have to buy the gen 1 level 2 mobile connector because that capability is what we all want. I know Elon wants us all to buy the wall charger but there is so little difference in the charging speed it doesn’t seem necessary and it isn’t portable. I’m clearly keeping this connector cable when I sell my Model when the November ordered Model Y gets here.
You need Gen 2 charger and adapter

I'm not saying it's the end of the world, but when a company makes a mistake, they need to be called out on it. Corrections can only be made if we the consumers stand up and let companies know when they've made a bad decision. This was a BAD decision. You can't use the analogy that you're getting these improvements for free so it all evens out, You are paying for these improvements. The Mobile connector is being removed from people who have entered into a purchase agreement that included that Mobile connector, Totally different. Don't get me wrong, If Tesla decided to remove the mobile connector from future orders and called it out as such on the order page for future orders, so be it. People can make informed decisions, that's not what's happening here.
But you okey with Tesla keeping lower price of the car when you ordered vs new? Correct? I feel you, that is why I said everyone who doesn’t like this should twit to Elon. I never used Twitter and didn’t have account but this made me go and open one up to tell Elon what I think about it.

Reactions: DanDi58
We have about a dozen Tesla owners in our nerghborhood subdivision. Every single one of us charge at home in our garage. I call BS on this “statistics show very little usage”. I bet the actual number is closer to 70% of owners charge at home. The NEMA 14-50 (240v dryer outlet) capability should be supplied with every car. Isn’t the charger actually built into the car? That would mean the cable is just a connector, not a charger. The wall charger is something else. This is just greed!

Same excuse for removing the lumbar support…

But you okey with Tesla keeping lower price of the car when you ordered vs new? Correct? I feel you, that is why I said everyone who doesn’t like this should twit to Elon. I never used Twitter and didn’t have account but this made me go and open one up to tell Elon what I think about it.
That's my whole point, I entered into the purchase agreement at the time I did. This included price, configuration, and equipment. I only expect that to be honored, not asking for any more or any less. Thanks for letting Elon know your thoughts on the subject. I don't like companies trying to change the rules on customers after the purchase agreement has already been completed. Heck I would have taken delivery day 1 of the order date. It's Tesla that's holding up the actual transaction.

Yeah I wouldn't ever run just 4GA live wires and not a neutral. If you ever want to switch to something that requires a neutral, you're going to be opening up the walls again. The name of the game should be to make it where you only have to do the labor-intensive (expensive) stuff once. What if the Gen4 WC requires a neutral or the next EVSE you install needs a neutral? Trying to save money by omitting the neutral is penny wise and pound foolish.

This is just a sneaky way to increase the car's price by $400. Newcomers who haven't been following the price/package may not notice or care much. It's the primary way I charge at home and I consider it a must-have accessory. It's useful when traveling to family/friends or to airbnbs, often in remote places where a SC is 30 mins out of the way.

Reactions: Carlitos
That's my whole point, I entered into the purchase agreement at the time I did. This included price, configuration, and equipment. I only expect that to be honored, not asking for any more or any less. Thanks for letting Elon know your thoughts on the subject. I don't like companies trying to change the rules on customers after the purchase agreement has already been completed. Heck I would have taken delivery day 1 of the order date. It's Tesla that's holding up the actual transaction.
I am pretty sure they would love to get your car next day but we are living in the world with high demand and limited output plus parts/materials constraints. Anyway MC is not something that would have stopped me from buying Tesla but everyone situation is different.

This is just a sneaky way to increase the car's price by $400. Newcomers who haven't been following the price/package may not notice or care much. It's the primary way I charge at home and I consider it a must-have accessory. It's useful when traveling to family/friends or to airbnbs, often in remote places where a SC is 30 mins out of the way.
Also, it is sold out. So buy your car and let it sit in your driveway. I guess that's my plan.