Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger no longer included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suppose so. I wonder, despite the "Tesla/Musk can do no wrong" types, if Tesla would have honored including the mobile connect for prior orders had there not been a fuss. Seems to be the business morals of the day any more. I want to think better of Tesla and Elon, but not so sure.

And certainly, this is the move they are taking, which I wanted not to do, as we may end up with a different branded EV, have friends visit with the same, etc., and is just easier.
I have NO doubt in my mind, that Musk/Tesla would not be honoring prior orders if there had not been a such a Twitter outrage. It's about maximizing profit.

My question is the range that much more per night that it is worth it? I don't see myself maxing the range out on my daily driving, not even close. For $200 that probably is the smart move to get one and leave at the house and keep one in the car for emergencies as needed.
The mobile charger would be plenty to leave it overnight on 14-50 you'll get 30 miles back per hour

1650387678683.png

The Mobile Charger plugged into a Nema 14-50 gives me plenty of charge each night. I have a set-up for our existing Model Y and installed another Nema 14-50 for the soon to arrive Model 3. I saw no advantage to the wall connector at all. I only unplug my Mobile Charger when going on road trips, so no worry of wearing out the receptacle.

The mobile charger would be plenty to leave it overnight on 14-50 you'll get 30 miles back per hour

View attachment 795391
Excellent information, thank you both for helping me decide. I appreciate it!

Reactions: OliverM3
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and BamaRed
I just talked with my SA and they mirrored what everyone else has been saying. Order placed before the cutoff will include the mobile, afterwards it will not. Thank goodness. Now I just have to decide if I want to get the wall charger or just use a 14-50.
I had a 14-50 installed in the garage near my electrical box. Works good and not too expensive. I did notice that there is Wi-Fi connectivity to the wall charger. That could b beneficial if there are future enhancements.

I had a 14-50 installed in the garage near my electrical box. Works good and not too expensive. I did notice that there is Wi-Fi connectivity to the wall charger. That could b beneficial if there are future enhancements.
You're lucky my garage is 100' from the house so no wi-fi. But the powerline adapters worked quite well so I could provide wi-fi for the car and my chargepoint flex Powerline Adapter

You're lucky my garage is 100' from the house so no wi-fi. But the powerline adapters worked quite well so I could provide wi-fi for the car and my

I have an Eero unit in the garage to expand the mesh network out that way, and that seems to work fine for streaming high res audio out in the garage via a BlueSound unit I have there, so hoping it will work for the Tesla when it gets here. The Eero is sitting right near the charging outlet.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Currently the Tesla Wall Connector only uses the home's or business's Wi-Fi for internet connectivity for downloading firmware updates and if you have a second Wall Connector and use the automatic load balancing feature. Otherwise you can use your phone as a Wi-Fi hot spot to download firmware updates as needed. (Note that the Wall Connector has a built in Wi-Fi hotspot so that you can connect your phone or computer to the Wall Connector when configuring the Wall Connector settings.)

Reactions: HellsKitchen
The signs could not be clearer that Tesla is guiding (herding?) customers to purchase the Wall Connector. At $275 the Mobile Connector and a 240V outlet such as the NEMA 14-50 can be a little more expensive than installing the Wall Connector. At the new price of $200 for the Mobile Connector it is a wash and the Wall Connector is fully weather rated, has a longer 24 foot charging cord. The Wall Connector also supports automatic load balancing if you add a second Wall Connector and can be programmed to only enable charging of specific Tesla vehicle VINs. An electrician might want to charge you more to install the Wall Connector than a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. The cost of a permit, materials are within $200 of one another with the Mobile Connector requiring a GFCI circuit breaker ($100) and a quality NEMA 14-50 receptacle ($100). The labor cost would be the same.

Also, for the same 50 amp circuit the Wall Connector will enable charging at 40 amps (25% faster) instead of 32 amps as with the Mobile Connector.
How are you coming up with your figures? Pulling the wire will be the same so the other costs end up being:
Wall Connector $500 + installation.
Mobile connector: $275 + $80 extra for GFCI breaker + $100 for 14-50 receptacle + $40 for cord adapter = $495

It’s basically a wash but the mobile connector option could be a touch cheaper, depending. The Wall connector gives you an extra 4’ of length, the mobile connector gives you the ability to easily disconnect and take it with you. If you’re under 40A then there’s no difference in charging speed.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
This morning I caught an ad for Chevy Bolt which states they will provide free home charging installation included with purchase. Wonder if they picked up on the huge negative reaction to Elon's announcement and are capitalizing on it.
I doubt that’s related. Corporations can’t respond with an entire promotional campaign in 2 days. I suspect it was something Chevy already had in the pipeline and had serendipitous good timing.

We’ll never know whether Tesla would have honored the previous commitments without the uproar or not. Whether you think they do is likely more dependent on your opinion of Musk and Tesla than it is on any actual facts. I’d like to hope that they were planning to all along, but I can’t prove that either. Regardless, by announcing it the way they did, they left it open to speculation and at best cause confusion and frustration. (Think about all the service advisors thad to deal with all the questions without knowing what happened!) Communication, people. Communication.

I should also say, that while we all blame Musk, I’m quite sure that marketing, accounting and the board were involved in the decision as well. I highly doubt this was his decision alone.

I doubt that’s related. Corporations can’t respond with an entire promotional campaign in 2 days. I suspect it was something Chevy already had in the pipeline and had serendipitous good timing.

We’ll never know whether Tesla would have honored the previous commitments without the uproar or not. Whether you think they do is likely more dependent on your opinion of Musk and Tesla than it is on any actual facts. I’d like to hope that they were planning to all along, but I can’t prove that either. Regardless, by announcing it the way they did, they left it open to speculation and at best cause confusion and frustration. (Think about all the service advisors thad to deal with all the questions without knowing what happened!) Communication, people. Communication.

I should also say, that while we all blame Musk, I’m quite sure that marketing, accounting and the board were involved in the decision as well. I highly doubt this was his decision alone.
Seems fair.

They are pretty much always clueless. Company policy.

However the decision was made the communication was not delivered well. And I'm saying that based on the uproar, confusion caused.
Poor planning leads to poor execution.
These two things could be improved. And it would be nice if they would be. The last visit I had to a service center (SLC) was a little depressing, as the guy there seemed on the verge of bitter. And the next prior visit, in the Seattle area, the rep had some veiled contempt for having to deal with Elon's tweets, in addition to not having info. He was good natured about it, and seemed to enjoy his work changing folks over to electric transport. But I think the work lives of these folks could be made easier.

How are you coming up with your figures? Pulling the wire will be the same so the other costs end up being:
Wall Connector $500 + installation.
Mobile connector: $275 + $80 extra for GFCI breaker + $100 for 14-50 receptacle + $40 for cord adapter = $495

It’s basically a wash but the mobile connector option could be a touch cheaper, depending. The Wall connector gives you an extra 4’ of length, the mobile connector gives you the ability to easily disconnect and take it with you. If you’re under 40A then there’s no difference in charging speed.
Your number are not the same as I was using:

Wall Connector: $495
GFCI circuit breaker: $100 (the cost difference could be a little less than $100, might be a little more than $100 over the cost of a standard standard double pole circuit breaker)
Receptacle box, Hubbell 14-50 receptacle and cover plate: $100
Tesla NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter: $45
Cable Organizer (optional but you would need a way to hang up the charging cord.) $35 (the cost of a cable organizer could be a bit less than what Tesla charges for their cable organizer or you could make your own.)

$495 - $275 (old price) = $225. Factor in $245 for the additional Mobile Connector items and the Mobile Connector with NEMA 14-50 ends up costing $20 more than the Wall Connector (Note: these costs do not include the cost of the wire or installation.)

$495 - $200 (new assumed price for the Mobile Connector) = $295. Factor in $245 for the Mobile Connector and the Wall Connect costs $50 more than the Mobile Connector (at the new price) with NEMA 14-50 receptacle.

For $50 more you get the longer charging cord, the ability to do load balancing with a second Wall Connector, a fully weather rated housing and the ability to only charge specific Tesla vehicles based on the VIN.

Last edited:

GFCI circuit breaker: $100 (the cost difference could be a little less than $100, might be a little more than $100 over the cost of a standard standard double pole circuit breaker)
Cable Organizer (optional but you would need a way to hang up the charging cord.) $35 (could be a bit less than what Tesla charges for their cable organizer

$495 - $275 (old price) = $225. Factor in $245 for the additional Mobile Connector items and the Mobile Connector with NEMA 14-50 ends up costing $20 more than the Wall Connector (Note: these costs do not include the cost of the wire or installation.)

$495 - $200 (new assumed price for the Mobile Connector) = $295. Factor in $245 for the Mobile Connector and the Wall Connect costs $50 more than the Mobile Connector (at the new price) with NEMA 14-50 receptacle.

For $50 more you get the longer charging cord, the ability to do load balancing with a second Wall Connector, a fully weather rated housing and the ability to only charge specific Tesla vehicles based on the VIN.
If I was ordering now, post change, I would probably re-think what I did in installing the 14-50. But, I had the mobile connector coming with my car, and the math was therefore different. If/when we get a second car, I may rethink what gets installed. The load balancing thing is a good point.

Reactions: Rocky_H

Cable Organizer (optional but you would need a way to hang up the charging cord.) $35 (could be a bit less than what Tesla charges for their cable organizer

So you don't need a GFCI circuit breaker for a Wall Connector? or a way to mount it to the wall, such as a Receptacle Box? Actual Question, I'm about as far from an electrician as you can get.

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
So you don't need a GFCI circuit breaker for a Wall Connector? or a way to mount it to the wall, such as a Receptacle Box? Actual Question, I'm about as far from an electrician as you can get.
Correct, you do not need a GFCI circuit breaker when installing the Wall Connector (the Wall Connector has built in GFCI protection for the charging cord.) The GFCI circuit breaker is required when installing a new circuit for charging an EV when there is a receptacle (outlet). Since the Wall Connector is designed to be hard wired into the circuit there is no receptacle or plug.

The Wall Connector mounting bracket can be mounted directly to a wall (when using conduit) or to a junction box (either recessed or surface mounted box.)

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf