Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger no longer included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct, you do not need a GFCI circuit breaker when installing the Wall Connector (the Wall Connector has built in GFCI protection for the charging cord.) The GFCI circuit breaker is required when installing a new circuit for charging an EV when there is a receptacle (outlet). Since the Wall Connector is designed to be hard wired into the circuit there is no receptacle or plug.

The Wall Connector mounting bracket can be mounted directly to a wall (when using conduit) or to a junction box (either recessed or surface mounted box.)

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf
Ok thanks, but you have to run some sort of breaker right. I mean you have to be able to split off 60 Watts of power to the thing

Ok thanks, but you have to run some sort of breaker right. I mean you have to be able to split off 60 Watts of power to the thing
Your electrician would use a standard double pole circuit breaker that is used for 240V circuits. The amperage rating of the circuit breaker would be correct for the circuit and wiring (could be any rating between 15 amps and up to 60 amps.) The Wall Connector has a setup process iwhere the Wall Connector is set to match the circuit amperage.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Ok thanks, but you have to run some sort of breaker right. I mean you have to be able to split off 240V/60A of current to the thing
You don't need 240A/60A. It supports breakers up to and including that.
They also support power sharing so you can have more than one on a single circuit.

So then the differences would be:
Price difference between the double pole vs GFCI circuit breaker, the receptical box, the NEMA 14-50 plug, and the 14-50 adapter. Given you already have the mobile charger included. Versus the $495 Wall Connector

So then the differences would be:
Price difference between the double pole vs GFCI circuit breaker, the receptical box, the NEMA 14-50 plug, and the 14-50 adapter. Given you already have the mobile charger included. Versus the $495 Wall Connector
Yes. Also, you will need a way to hang up the charging cord for the Mobile Connector and to mount the Mobile Connector chassis (the electronics brick) to the wall. Tesla sells a Cable Organizer ($35) that includes the needed hardware or you can find similar cable organizers on Amazon, etc.

Depending on the length of the wire run you may save some money when wiring the Wall Connector as it only uses 2 wires, plus the ground wire. The NEMA 14-50 receptacle requires 3 wires, plus the ground wire. Right now copper is very expensive.

• Helpful
Yes. Also, you will need a way to hang up the charging cord for the Mobile Connector and to mount the Mobile Connector chassis (the electronics brick) to the wall. Tesla sells a Cable Organizer ($35) that includes the needed hardware or you can find similar cable organizers on Amazon, etc.

Depending on the length of the wire run you may save some money when wiring the Wall Connector as it only uses 2 wires, plus the ground wire. The NEMA 14-50 receptacle requires 3 wires, plus the ground wire. Right now copper is very expensive.
Thanks got it, just analyzing my own decision to install the NEMA 14-50 instead of a Wall Connector. I think I still prefer what I did as I will have 2 Teslas to charge and I can charge them both at the same time, since these are two distinct circuits. I can also plug a welder something else if needed into the outlets as I have the neutral wires.

After processing all this mess and studying more about Wall connector I went ahead and ordered one. Since I am in for a long time with Tesla products it makes sense. I also wrote to my SA that I voluntarily opting out of mobile charger with my upcoming car.

• Funny
Reactions: Tha_Ape
After processing all this mess and studying more about Wall connector I went ahead and ordered one. Since I am in for a long time with Tesla products it makes sense. I also wrote to my SA that I voluntarily opting out of mobile charger with my upcoming car.
Why would you voluntarily opt out? Quicker delivery? It's still worth while to have the mobile connector for travel or even in town when you are away from home.

What's really mind boggling is you would have thought any of the, what, 15 or so prices increases since last year could have lumped in the extra cost for the mobile connector maybe?
This is the thing that I think makes it really clear that this is not about money or nickel and diming. It's a very real parts shortage they are facing. They are not going to have enough to go around pretty soon and are trying to find how to simply ship out fewer of them so they will be able to stretch the supply to last longer.

How are you coming up with your figures? Pulling the wire will be the same so the other costs end up being:
Wall Connector $500 + installation.
Mobile connector: $275 + $80 extra for GFCI breaker + $100 for 14-50 receptacle + $40 for cord adapter = $495
I've seen you mention this twice now, and it's confusing me.

Why do you only list "+ installation" for the wall connector? You don't list installation as a cost item for running the circuit that terminates in a receptacle.

Reactions: android04
Why would you voluntarily opt out? Quicker delivery? It's still worth while to have the mobile connector for travel or even in town when you are away from home.
I already have one with our M3 that I will use as travel emergency back up and wall connector as primary home charging solution. I believe in Tesla mission and want to help as much as I can.

Agreed - you gain no benefit from ’opting out’ of getting the mobile connector and loose flexibility. If nothing else you can sell it, but I would keep it for emergencies, travel, or in case the wall connector conks out on you.

edit:
I already have one with our M3 that I will use as travel emergency back up and wall connector as primary home charging solution. I believe in Tesla mission and want to help as much as I can.
Ah. Ok.

This is the thing that I think makes it really clear that this is not about money or nickel and diming. It's a very real parts shortage they are facing. They are not going to have enough to go around pretty soon and are trying to find how to simply ship out fewer of them so they will be able to stretch the supply to last longer.

I've seen you mention this twice now, and it's confusing me.

Why do you only list "+ installation" for the wall connector? You don't list installation as a cost item for running the circuit that terminates in a receptacle.
Except if it were truly about supply shortages, they could/would simply do like they did with the USB unit and supply the connectors once available. Or they could give the option of a $275 credit on the Tesla store towards a wall connector.

Re: installation costs, when I got estimates for installation, the electrician charged more for the wall connector installation. I didn’t ask why but I presume it was because the installation and commissioning were more complicated. I didn’t include the cost of the actual box for the receptacle because those typically cost a couple of bucks and don’t significantly change the equation.

Then why were all the service reps clueless about it?
Because Musk did what Musk does - he tweets out things before the company has had a chance to communicate them, vet them or operationalize them. I’m not absolving him of his poor communication methods, just pointing out that there were likely more people than him involved in the decision.

For $50 more you get the longer charging cord, the ability to do load balancing with a second Wall Connector, a fully weather rated housing and the ability to only charge specific Tesla vehicles based on the VIN.
And for me the ability to unplug and take the UMC with me is more important than all these WC attributes combined….by a lot.

Heck even if the UMC/14-50 route was more expensive than the WC I would still purchase the UMC over the WC if UMC didn’t come with the vehicle.

Because Musk did what Musk does - he tweets out things before the company has had a chance to communicate them, vet them or operationalize them. I’m not absolving him of his poor communication methods, just pointing out that there were likely more people than him involved in the decision.
I don't see how it's likely. What we've seen points to that not being true at all.

• Love
And for me the ability to unplug and take the UMC with me is more important than all these WC attributes combined….by a lot.

Heck even if the UMC/14-50 route was more expensive than the WC I would still purchase the UMC over the WC if UMC didn’t come with the vehicle.
It's all situational to an individuals goals and needs. Myself,like you I want to be able to unplug the MC and take it with me, I can install 2 14-50 outlets to charge both Teslas at the same time, I keep my vehicles in the garage no need for weather proofing the outlet, and I can use the outlets for additional items. The NEMA 14-50 just fits my use case better

Except if it were truly about supply shortages,
Oh, it definitely is.
they could/would simply do like they did with the USB unit and supply the connectors once available. Or they could give the option of a $275 credit on the Tesla store towards a wall connector.
Those things you listed are the Good Ways (TM) this could have been handled. They did not choose to do one of the Good Ways (TM).

I personally don't think so. He seems to have a very long history and personality of spontaneously and independently deciding things on a whim, announcing it immediately at the time he decided it, and then all of the rest of the company having to scramble to adapt to this thing he just told the world they were doing.

Oh, it definitely is.

Those things you listed are the Good Ways (TM) this could have been handled. They did not choose to do one of the Good Ways (TM).

I personally don't think so. He seems to have a very long history and personality of spontaneously and independently deciding things on a whim, announcing it immediately at the time he decided it, and then all of the rest of the company having to scramble to adapt to this thing he just told the world they were doing.
No question about the supply shortages. And how it could have been handled.

I agree that Musk appears to an impulsive decision maker and because he is the boss, the employees, down to the SAs, are left scrambling. He's the boss and he sets the tone.

Thats ridiculous. Dont opt out of it until the VERY end (if at all). What if one of your friends or family members decide to order a Tesla soon? You could give them the cable.

Shoot, its better to give it to a forum member in need than just give it back to Tesla!

Your number are not the same as I was using:

Wall Connector: $495
GFCI circuit breaker: $100 (the cost difference could be a little less than $100, might be a little more than $100 over the cost of a standard standard double pole circuit breaker)
Receptacle box, Hubbell 14-50 receptacle and cover plate: $100
Tesla NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter: $45
Cable Organizer (optional but you would need a way to hang up the charging cord.) $35 (the cost of a cable organizer could be a bit less than what Tesla charges for their cable organizer or you could make your own.)

$495 - $275 (old price) = $225. Factor in $245 for the additional Mobile Connector items and the Mobile Connector with NEMA 14-50 ends up costing $20 more than the Wall Connector (Note: these costs do not include the cost of the wire or installation.)

$495 - $200 (new assumed price for the Mobile Connector) = $295. Factor in $245 for the Mobile Connector and the Wall Connect costs $50 more than the Mobile Connector (at the new price) with NEMA 14-50 receptacle.

For $50 more you get the longer charging cord, the ability to do load balancing with a second Wall Connector, a fully weather rated housing and the ability to only charge specific Tesla vehicles based on the VIN.
That's so funny I just went out to check the extra 6-50 outlet I had put in. Well no GFCI damn it! So the electrician used Romex for the 60 amp charger and no GFCI on the 6-50 outlet. He was a reputable insured electrician. Man such a nice guy and the work looks super clean but damn it :)

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911