Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger no longer included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wall connector at 48A is about 44mi/hr and the mobile connector at 240V and 32A is about 30mi/hr.

If you just need to charge overnight and plug in every night even when the battery isn’t empty then it makes no practical difference at all.

But if you need to recharge from empty to full during the day to head back out then the wall connector might make a difference.
Wall connector is good if you have two Teslas as well. Charge one up when you get home from work and then swap out for the other vehicle when you go to bed.

Reactions: E90alex
We have about a dozen Tesla owners in our nerghborhood subdivision. Every single one of us charge at home in our garage. I call BS on this “statistics show very little usage”. I bet the actual number is closer to 70% of owners charge at home. The NEMA 14-50 (240v dryer outlet) capability should be supplied with every car. Isn’t the charger actually built into the car? That would mean the cable is just a connector, not a charger. The wall charger is something else. This is just greed!

The wall connector at 48A is about 44mi/hr and the mobile connector at 240V and 32A is about 30mi/hr.

If you just need to charge overnight and plug in every night even when the battery isn’t empty then it makes no practical difference at all.

But if you need to recharge from empty to full during the day to head back out then the wall connector might make a difference.
There's another advantage to using the WC: in the past, it's been important to exercise all three 16A controllers in the PCS, so that if one fails, you get an alert that it has failed. There was someone who was only charging at 32A and had a single 16A controller failure and didn't realize it until the second 16A controller failed; by then, the warranty had expired on that car: Power Conversion System (PCS) failure

Guess 80% of the people never use it. So it makes sense costwise to stop delivering them as standard equipment and sell them (with a profit) to those who want one…
In order to come to this conclusion, Tesla likely asked the question in a different way, like “how many people use the mobile adapter to charge when traveling”. I don’t believe for a moment that 80% of new and existing owners have the Tesla Wall charger installed. It provides negligible performance increase over the mobile connector, and hardwired installation is more expensive than having a 240 installed. Either Tesla is having trouble sourcing components or this is a simple money grab and someone had to invent numbers to justify it. Personally, I’d have been less insulted if they just said “Due to component shortages, the mobile connector will no longer be included with purchase”. Or, “In an effort to keep costs down, mobile connector will be sold separately.” I want to see the numbers.

People can debate and talk about wether they use it or do not use it, but bottom line, all orders before Musks tweet, were advertised that this accessory was included with the purchase. For comparison, Apple announced removal of accessories from iPhone before a single order for the model excluding chargers even went on sale, people knew what they were buying. It is false advertisement and a breach of contract to remove something from an order AFTER taking a non refundable deposit, they can remove it, sure, but not from existing orders.

We have about a dozen Tesla owners in our nerghborhood subdivision. Every single one of us charge at home in our garage. I call BS on this “statistics show very little usage”. I bet the actual number is closer to 70% of owners charge at home. The NEMA 14-50 (240v dryer outlet) capability should be supplied with every car. Isn’t the charger actually built into the car? That would mean the cable is just a connector, not a charger. The wall charger is something else. This is just greed!
Actually Wall connector and Mobile charger are almost the same. Wall connector allows permanent installation, higher amperage and support remote API calls.

You can't just use a wire to plug in the car. Mobile connectors have necessary electronics inside to set voltage/amp and to communicate with a car computer.

Dryers don't normally use 50amp, 30amp is the standard (14-30 or 10-30 plugs).

Reactions: Daekwan
I don't use the Mobile Connector because the charging cord is too short for my needs. I had originally intended to use the Mobile Connector and purchased the 14-50 plug adapter but could not make it work due to the length of the cord. I keep the Mobile Connector as a backup. For home charging I use an AmazingE (made by ClipperCreek) 32 amp EVSE with a 25 foot charging cord. (The price has gone up almost $100 since 2020 when I purchased my AmazingE EVSE with NEMA 14-50 plug.)

AmazingE FAST with NEMA 14-50 plug, Connector Holster, Cable Wrap Bundle
For new owners, time for Plan B... ;)

People can debate and talk about wether they use it or do not use it, but bottom line, all orders before Musks tweet, were advertised that this accessory was included with the purchase. For comparison, Apple announced removal of accessories from iPhone before a single order for the model excluding chargers even went on sale, people knew what they were buying. It is false advertisement and a breach of contract to remove something from an order AFTER taking a non refundable deposit, they can remove it, sure, but not from existing orders.
Your order agreement includes a clause stating “Options, features or hardware released or changed after you place your order may not be included in or available for your Vehicle.”

So they can change included features and options if they want. They have previously removed features and added features without changing the order price for in progress orders.

You’re correct: the charger is in the car. The mobile connector (and wall charger) are EVSEs. They do have to have the intelligence to negotiate amperage and communicate with the onboard charger in the car. The difference between the WC and the MC is down to mode of installation and charging speed for the most part. The WC is not much faster than the MC, and it doesn’t have the advantage of being portable if needed. The MC is a great piece of kit, and it’s a huge shame it’s no longer included.

Wow! When we first got our Model 3 in December of 2019, we used it to charge until we got the 240 volt outlet and Tesla charger installed in the garage. That was about 3 months that I needed the included cable. Sure, we don't need it that much anymore but, it will be used when we travel and stay somewhere and need the 120 volt/Level 1 charging capability. I used it on our February roadtrip to charge at relative's garage.

Still, there are people that can use the Level 1 cable to charge at home as the average commute is 60 miles or less which would allow regular Level 1 charging at home. Seems like this strategy is similar to not including Homelink (Garage Door Opener) with Tesla vehicles. Penny wise, pound foolish?

Reactions: Carlitos
Your order agreement includes a clause stating “Options, features or hardware released or changed after you place your order may not be included in or available for your Vehicle.”

So they can change included features and options if they want. They have previously removed features and added features without changing the order price for in progress orders.
"hardware released or changed"
This is referring to unreleased hardware, or hardware that has changed in design for example, nothing about exclusion of existing advertised hardware.

Do other EV’s come with free mobile chargers? I had a Chevy Volt and it didn’t. So, I bought a Clipper Creek home charger. As a result, I’ve never used the free Tesla mobile charger.
The Chevrolet Volt should have come with a GM charging cord set (120V/Level 1 EVSE) capable of charging the Volt on 120V at either 8 amps or 12 amps ( if no other devices were in use on the circuit.) If you purchased your Volt used then it may not have come with the GM charging cord set.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tha_Ape and E90alex
For new owners, time for Plan B... ;)

The low end of the EVSE market has been claimed by off-shore manufactured Level 1 / Level 2 units capable of charging at 120V or 240V and up to 16 amps (requires a minimum of 20 amp circuit.) Once you start looking at 32 amp and 40 amp capable EVSE the selection thins out and the price is not any different than the $275 that Tesla charges for the Gen2 Mobile Connector. My only issue with the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector is the 18 foot charging cord. Also, if it matters to you the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector does not support Bluetooth or Wi-Fi and does not by itself capture charging data.

Reactions: weathergeekdan
So I didn’t know this but there are two versions of the mobile connector. The hard wired one is $400 and the adapter one is $275. So he is saying you don’t get the included $275 version any more and then says buy the $400 one, then walks it back and says we will lower the price of said $400 item to $200. It can’t be a money thing for Tesla then. It’s gotta be part sourcing.

I’m not happy but at the same time, why can’t they just say that instead of that the usage rates are super low.
Could be. But the severe skeptic in me says it’s a money grab…little if anything to do with supply chain issues so in vogue today as THE excuse for all non-deliveries.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H and kavyboy