Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector Longevity 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There hasn't been any mobile Connector Longevity discussion since 2018.
Longevity of HPWC vs. Mobile Connector

I wonder if that's because there is no longevity issue or if there is no interest in the topic.

I recently purchased a Gen 3 Wall Connector thinking the 2nd gen Mobile Connector with Nema 14-50 is not meant for long term daily charging.

$500 is not an insignificant amount of money for me. So if if there is really no issue with the Gen 2 mobile connector lasting 5 years, maybe I don't need the Gen 3 WC and would unload it.

Next someone will say well you can charge faster with a WC. My circuit is wired with 8 AWG copper THHN with a 50 Amp breaker so with a WC hardwired I can charge at 40 A vs 32 A with the MC, roughly 25% faster, but charging speed is not really an issue.

I'm still using my 1st gen mobile connector at home as my permanent home charging since March 2014. I will say that Tesla makes these things pretty marginal if you are constantly using them at the maximum current they allow, and they can get pretty hot at those levels, which leads to the shortened life. If you're running them with the current turned down some to keep them a little cooler, I don't think they have any longevity problems. Mine is built for 40A, but I use it at 31A to keep it cooler.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
I have no idea about the electronics, but the outer jacket of my mobile connector is starting to deteriorate. It was supplied with my model 3 in June 2018. I typically only use it a couple of times a year when I visit relatives or rental houses.
There are a number of splits in the black outer covering of the cable. I don't recall doing anything that would have caused them. It seems like the material has become brittle and is cracking from coiling the cable to fit in the case.
The individual wires inside the cable still have their insulation intact so it still works fine, but I'm considering getting another one just in case.
Has anyone else experienced this?

Reactions: IronQQQ
So my June 2019 Mobile Connector starting having issues this summer. Usually after charging a for some time in +85 F weather, I started getting reduced current and this error message.

Screenshot_20211004-023009__01.jpg

I wasn't sure if it was the 14-50 adapter or the mobile connector itself. Whenever it faulted, both the MC and adapter were hot.

Setup a service appt and mobile came out with a new MC and 14-50 adapter. Replaced under warranty. I have 3000 miles remaining. It's great they replaced it, but a little disconcerting because I don't charge much at home. The car is a little over 2 years old with minimal use of the MC. I do most of my charging away from home. I do leave the MC plugged in 24/7 though.

New mobile Connector worked fine for a week regardless of outdoor temp. I decided to give my old mobile connector a try again these last few days. Today was warm in the 90s. I plugged in the car and this time, the MC immediately faulted. The 14-50 adapter was cool but the MC was quite warm. So now I'm certain it's definitely an MC problem. I was thinking of keeping it as a spare, but I should just toss it as it could be a fire hazard.

Anyways... I have the new MC to use but I also bought a Wall Connector, which has been sitting in my garage for over a year. Perhaps it's time to finally install it. The Mobile Connector just doesn't last.

Our Model S has been charged with a Gen 1 mobile connector plugged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet since 2013. Now using it with our new Model 3 as well. No issues with the mobile connector so far.

The Model S onboard charger broke once though. (The part that does the actual AC->DC conversation for L2/L1 charging, as I understand it.)

We keep separate mobile connectors in the cars.