Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector no longer included with new cars [posted 04/16/2022 - Tesla confirms adapter included with cars ordered before 04/17/22]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla needs some legitimate competition so they don't put their own best interest at the forefront of every decision.

Since that's my only method of charging I ordered one off eBay just to be safe. I'll sell it later if my Tesla comes with the charging bundle.

This is a very reasonable response; thank you. It’s a $275 part for a $50k+ car - I get the grumbles but it’s not the end of the world.

To be honest, I can go a year+ between using my mobile connector, but I do like having it.

There are plenty of viable options available for charging at home these days, so this isn’t as “crushing” as it sounds.

Heck, even Costco has low cost options: https://www.costco.com/axfast-level-2-portable-electric-vehicle-charger.product.100489580.html

"Options, features or hardware released or changed after you place your order
may not be included in or available for your Vehicle."

This listed under Agreement to Purchase section of the order agreement. Was just curious if there was any language in the agreement that could screw us. I have already had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in preparation of delivery. I'll be pretty upset if the already inflated price I paid for the car is already stripping parts needed for it to function.

I’m ticked. Ordered in early March edd July to August. Charger was included at time of order. Fully expect to be in the vehicle on delivery. If they want to discontinue it should be for new orders today forward.

My wife and I are also ticked off if this is true. We had a NEMA 14-50 just installed AND ordered the adapter plug "knowing" the mobile charger would be coming with our vehicle. Otherwise.....why would go through the expenses????

This is ridiculous. I suppose the $1k we spent in preparation with an electrician will be to waste.

I don’t need a Tesla. With the high gas prices ordered model 3 in early March. Small things bug me to the point of saying forget it. If the charger is not included my thought for now but it could change is to wait as long as possible like right before delivery day then cancel since I would loose the $250 deposit anyway and move on the something else.

A big part of me is upset because I want the mobile connector.

However I do also have to realize that despite wanting it a lot myself...I won't have my model 3 until may-june when it is delivered and I already have set up accounts for EV charging companies and I already installed the Tesla wall connector.

So Elon saying that usage based on data is low, I'm not going to disagree since I only plan on having mine in the car as an emergency backup.

People with wall connectors probably don't use it and people in apartments probably don't. Those people could use them when visiting friends/family, but unless those homes that are being visited are wired for an EV, it's unlikely they are using more than a regular outlet anyway.

Additionally, when someone has an outlet wired for the 14-50 adapter, it's often expensive depending on the installation and I would assume people use the mobile connector instead of buying a wall connector because it saves hundreds of dollars. But now with the price drop of the wall connector and the mobile connector not being included, the price difference will now be about $100.

It's impossible to know whether or not Tesla passed any of these savings to customers. I doubt they will lower the cost of cars any, but it's possible this decision was made prior to recent price increases and this might have been factored in when determining price increase.

Now some people are also commenting that it is needed for situations when someone has absolutely no other option, like needing to charge in the middle of no where. This is a good point but ultimately those kinds of situations are a very small percent of people and I agree that it is wasteful to give out these chargers with every single car to benefit a small number of people.

So I was disappointed in first reading this but after thinking about it while writing this, I don't think it's such a bad decision and a lot of people, myself included, will barely even notice the difference.

Did he provide any specifics to back up the claim that UMC usage was “super low”?

I find that claim extremely hard to believe.
I find it very plausible. I’ve used my UMC once, over 2 yeas ago, on a trip where there wasn’t a Supercharger near by. If I were to make the trip again, I wouldn’t need the UMC since there is now a Supercharger in the vicinity.

Sucks cause I was going to take the one from my Cybertruck and use it to make an outdoor charging station. 😩 Oh well. 😐

• Disagree
Reactions: mewantcookiez

Just want to mention that this particular unit appears to max out at 16 amps. That's half the speed an SR+ can charge at and 1/3 the max speed of the LR/P (32 and 48 amps respectively).

If the charger is not included my thought for now but it could change is to wait as long as possible like right before delivery day then cancel since I would loose the $250 deposit anyway and move on the something else.

Truly, this isn't worth cancelling your order over (and losing $250 order fee). The mobile connector is not as valuable as the $250 order fee.

So I was disappointed in first reading this but after thinking about it while writing this, I don't think it's such a bad decision and a lot of people, myself included, will barely even notice the difference.

You'll be very happy with the wall connector. I understand wanting the mobile connector (since it was expected to be included for free), but it was likely to amount to a paperweight for you.

Mine's been sitting in the under trunk for 18 months never used, still smells like "new electronics".

Reactions: android04
Just want to mention that this particular unit appears to max out at 16 amps. That's half the speed an SR+ can charge at and 1/3 the max speed of the LR/P (32 and 48 amps respectively).

oh absolutely - I wasn’t recommending that unit, just pointing out that plenty are on the market.

I still think Tesla makes the best EVSEs on the market - whether the wall connector OR mobile connector.

But now that the mobile connector is only $200? No sense considering anything else.

I do tend to agree with the sentiment that, at least for some folks, it’s not used often … mine gets used once a year, if that. Otherwise, it just tests gravity. But I do still want to have one around, and for $200, that’s solid peace of mind.

It's blatantly obvious Tesla needs regulation and badly. When I bought my car I was told I would have both USB charging and a 14-50 plug. I got neither and was later told go buy them. Zero recourse. Yes the fanboys at the time said "well it's a $40,000+ car it isn't that much more" and "if you can't afford the $30 plug can you afford the car" and various other statements meant to force or humiliate the buyer into conforming to their cult.

Two years later here we are, taking away their propriety charging solution and forcing people to buy it knowing fine well it will drive demand into the stratosphere as everyone scrambles to get one. Don't be surprised if scalpers pickup on this and start buying them up on mass only to resell on various sites at a premium. $1,500 genuine tesla charging brick anyone? Yes you can hopefully buy the J1772 adapter and use a third party power delivery solution. Hopefully there are no issues and you don't have Tesla tell you the third party solution you were forced to buy and use didn't void your warranty.

We the consumer shouldn't get dumped on every time some halfwit that works for Musk decides, lets cut X in order to save some $ and drive profits a bit higher. Tesla have gone a bit too Apple for my liking.

It makes sense not to give out something a lot of people don’t use often, but emergency backup for road trips is a valid use case. SCs should rent them for free for this purpose.

And the savings from not producing these units should go towards lowering the price of Wall Connector. There’s got to be a lot of markup on that.

Reactions: father_of_6
"Options, features or hardware released or changed after you place your order
may not be included in or available for your Vehicle."

This listed under Agreement to Purchase section of the order agreement. Was just curious if there was any language in the agreement that could screw us. I have already had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in preparation of delivery. I'll be pretty upset if the already inflated price I paid for the car is already stripping parts needed for it to function.
Although as written I think it covers Tesla, but believe the intent is to ensure updates/changes after you order (I.e. chips, batteries,etc.) aren’t guaranteed for previous orders. I ordered mine in March and really hope it comes with the portable charger. I already ordered my adapter and was planning on getting it wired before I get delivery. Now I have to hold off and wait to see if it comes with charger.

You don't have to use a Tesla charger. There are plenty of high quality J-1772 chargers on the market that work great. I'm using a Clipper Creek 40 amp wall charger. The nice thing is that it's not hard-wired. It plugs into a NEMA 14-50 plug. So I can easily take it with me if I move.

I assume a J-1772 adapter still comes with the car but if you go that route you might want an extra so you can keep one in the garage and one in the car.
J-1772 adapter has not come with the car for awhile now.

I don’t need a Tesla. With the high gas prices ordered model 3 in early March. Small things bug me to the point of saying forget it. If the charger is not included my thought for now but it could change is to wait as long as possible like right before delivery day then cancel since I would loose the $250 deposit anyway and move on the something else.
I ordered mine in March too. And I am feeling the same way. Part of the reason I ordered Tesla is so I didn't have to deal with the dealer markup and other stuff. Now it just leaves a bad taste in mouth spending another 400 on 55k car.