Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector to be not included?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our Peugeot e208 didn't have a 13amp cable included - optional extra if we wanted to buy it. We decided to use my Tesla one if it was ever required, but never actually have.

Although I kind of like having it 'there', the waste (materials, weight, manufacture etc) of every single EV carrying one around and not using it makes no sense really.

Reactions: pow216
Its not good to charge from a 3 pin for a long period of time. It's really only a backup - but a necessary one.

I slightly disagree with this. Where do you stop? Windscreen not included next as "Tesla owners can afford the extra".
That's true.

I'll be buying one if it doesn't come with one. I think it's something you should definitely have in case of emergencies

Apple did it first. Samsung even did a commercial mocking Apple for doing it. then they did it too.

But I see this worse because unlike phones which you can buy a cord anywhere for a few $ and plug it into a plethora of USB chargers you can't do that with a Tesla.
You don't have an old charger after you sold your old phone for the scrap value and you certainly can't pick one up on Amazon and plug it into a USB outlet you have at home or your laptop to charge it.

I never said it was a good idea, I just get annoyed with people on a Tesla forum spouting the partisan mobile rhetoric.

That's kind of by-the-by.

I personally don't have a problem with Tesla not including a mobile connector as I've never used one, but I know there are some on here who use it as their main charger.

I think a better solution would be to offer a choice when you order, or offer the mobile connector as a free item to anyone who requests one when they take delivery; I suspect that in less than five years almost no-one will want one anyway.

I never said it was a good idea, I just get annoyed with people on a Tesla forum spouting the partisan mobile rhetoric.

I personally don't have a problem with Tesla not including a mobile connector as I've never used one, but I know there are some on here who use it as their main charger.

I think a better solution would be to offer a choice when you order, or offer the mobile connector as a free item to anyone who requests one when they take delivery; I suspect that in less than five years almost no-one will want one:) anyway.
I also see that it makes sense in theory. So as long as they drop the price of my MY, (which had it included when I ordered) by £300 if its comes without then no problem......:)

I think a better solution would be to offer a choice when you order, or offer the mobile connector as a free item to anyone who requests one when they take delivery; I suspect that in less than five years almost no-one will want one anyway.
I never said you said it was a good idea.🤤
I just gave the history of the disappearing charger for smart phones . It’s funny ( to me) because I had just recently read an article on it.

I have no idea what you mean by “people on a Tesla forum spouting the partisan mobile rhetoric”

In the last year on the LR:
  • removed passenger seat lumbar
  • discontinued referral programme
  • reduced premium connectivity from 12 months to 1 month, and now seemingly forcing subscription on lease customers.
  • removed one of the speakers in the audio system
Now lets get rid of the UMC. What next, might as well do the same for the type 2 as a lot of people have tethered chargers. No interior mats. Not many people use the middle rear seat heater. Most people use their phone as a key so lets just give one keycard as standard.

But at least the cost cutting has avoided prices rises.............

Reactions: Sparky750
Although I kind of like having it 'there', the waste (materials, weight, manufacture etc) of every single EV carrying one around and not using it makes no sense really.

Makes no sense until you actually need it! So having a lifeboat on a ship makes no sense? Those things are never used unless the ship is in imminent danger of sinking ...

Makes no sense until you actually need it! So having a lifeboat on a ship makes no sense? Those things are never used unless the ship is in imminent danger of sinking...
However, you could say the same thing about a spare wheel, but few cars come with one these days.

It would have seemed obvious to reduce the price of the car a little and make it a 'check box' on the order at an extra cost, then those that need/want it can have it.

Tesla's approach however, only benefits their bottom line...

What next

My answer would be "So what" ...

Its $400 off the RRP price, or a $400 price increase that doesn't happen, or $80 profit for Tesla that goes into the stuff that bottom-line pays for.

When I got my first Tesla they whipped a sheet off it, spent an hour or more explaining everything to me one-on-one, and included Swag of a Mug, fancy pen, umbrella, leather cover for the fob, car was fully charged ... and if I had a warranty issue they sent someone out to collect it (with a low loaded if it was undriveable) and the driver collecting it left me their car as a loaner. When I traded it in I, like a complete Muppet, left my house keys in the centre-console. They sent someone to my house to drop them off - nearly a 4 hour round trip.

When I picked up the M3 I got a powerpoint presentation with a bunch of other people and then "Here's your keys off you go". That was fine when I picked up the M3 ... less so when I replaced the MS as it was the same M3 powerpoint :) not that, personally, I needed it. When I traded the M3 for the MY no PowerPoint any more. Just a couple of guys at a rickety wooden table in a multi-storey car park handing over keys.

By your reckoning it seems that none of these retrograde steps should have happened. Everyone should have that service ... and the underlying cost baked into the RRP.

I think that Tesla think that if this bothers you then they are happy that you go to a different brand. They aren't going to fit your cherished number plate for you, nor lots of other things that a Dealer most probably would.

What do I think about this?

How flipping much have I paid over the years for someone in a dealership to show me the new car I just bought?​

Quality of those individuals varied from Very good to completely indifferent, but I'm absolutely certain I had to pay their wages to do that. Pointless if someone could make a good YouTube instead, then I have the best-of-breed training, not whoever was duty-person on my collection day.

So the Granny Cable is no longer included (maybe Type-2 as well). Do I care. Well I thought I did ... until I thought about it.

Who needs one?

People charging at home using Granny Cable and not a Wall Charger. probably relatively low mileage, or can charge at work and only need to charge at home sometimes. So ... they need to buy one.

When have I needed one?

Almost never. Original Rolec charger broke, and was some weeks to acquire a replacement charger and get it fitted. but 13AMP would have been useless for me. I was doing 30K miles a year back then, so would have had plenty of days when I needed a "decent overnight charge". I had a Commando socket fitted when I had the wall charger installed but whereas the adapter for that was included with granny cable way-back-then it is now only an option. (although as I read it extra connectors will be included in the standard replacement).

If I didn't have one and was in that situation? Not far to town, charging there is crap, but it does exist. There are 4 or 5 people in the village with EVs, I could probably borrow their granny cable (or, better still, their wall charger)

At Rellies; Well, yes, but that's only a "maybe" for me, now. When I first had the car I charged at Rellies. Arrived fairly empty 'coz I knew they didn't mind and would "offer", and I took them a couple of bottles of wine, so we were "evens". It took literally all weekend to charge.

Tripped all their house electrics? Yup, done that.

Socket got so hot we worried about it? Yup, that too.

Rained, had to find a bucket and two bricks to keep it dry? Yup, and that.

Back then finding a Supercharger somewhere near them was very unlikely. Now? Much less unlikely, and probably an alterative like Ionity nearby.

Now? I charge somewhere nearby and arrive with "enough".

If I stop at a hotel I'll scavenge for electricity. Maybe a 13AMP socket in the car park for the pressure washer ... but that's just for my convenience to add some charge whilst I sleep - the antediluvian hotel ought to be providing EV chargers in the car park anyway .. .and if they do? then if they aren't tethered I need a Type-2 cable instead.

So basically I no longer arrive at Rellies needing a 13AMP charge ... but I might if delayed, arriving late, and chose to convert my planned Supercharger Time into contingency and thus arrive less delayed - and probably without the extra bottles of Wine I now need as a thank you for the charge :).

Unexpectedly need the Granny Cable?

I just can't imagine the circumstance where I might be out somewhere and suddenly / unexpectedly need the granny cable. Type=2 - yes, definitely might need that.

Personally: Yes I want one. I value my time, I can afford one, and at some point it might save me some time by giving me "options".

But for everyone, included in the price of the car by default? Now I've given it some thought I can't see any sense in it.

Tesla's approach however, only benefits their bottom line...

I don't understand why that is a problem.

Reactions: KennethS
I don't understand why that is a problem.
Apologies, I wasn't saying it was a problem, it is their job to make a profit. I was simply saying a 'less antagonistic' approach could be to reduce the price of the car (say £200) and then make it a £400 option.

That would achieve their goal, but reduce the 'backlash'... However Tesla have demonstrated more than once that backlash isn't an issue for them, their order book is overflowing!

I never said you said it was a good idea.🤤
I just gave the history of the disappearing charger for smart phones . It’s funny ( to me) because I had just recently read an article on it.

I have no idea what you mean by “people on a Tesla forum spouting the partisan mobile rhetoric”

Sorry, the way you phrased it I read it as a specific attack on Apple that dredges up arguments which have been had thousands of times before in more appropriate places - a thread about the wireless charger in the M3 sometime last year descended into an Apple vs not-Apple slagging match for example.

My first thought was, "Oh no, here we go again."

it is their job to make a profit

I see a number of benefits to Tesla of making a profit.

There are no shareholder dividends, so that reason for making a profit is moot (although making a profit and that driving the share price up helps of course). Musk doesn't draw a salary, get's no dividend either, so he gets nothing. But he can sell his share options of course ...

More profit probably gives the competition sleepless nights ... because if Tesla wanted more market share (when Supply exceeds Demand) then cash-rich they could have a price war with everyone else.

Profit enables Tesla to move forwards faster - more factories / models / pay more to employee brilliant people / finish DEV on FSD "tomorrow" (well .. maybe not THAT one!), whatever. And reduce debt. Reducing debt removes interest, and thus makes more money - just like increasing energy density of batteries makes them lighter and "more range". Also probably creates a situation where the books are favourable for a rights issue - so get all existing shareholders to stump up, say, 10%. More cash, and more "speed" with all of the above.

Removing cost from the car build is important. Normally important just to stay afloat with competition cutting to the bone everywhere. Tesla doesn't have that problem at present :) But profit moves then forward, faster. Most savings that are made are a quid or two on each car, this is quite a big chunk, they don't come along often ...

I do wonder if all the other brands are including Granny Cable because Tesla do - NOT providing one would make them look stingy. If that is the case they will now all follow suit ...

Tesla have demonstrated more than once that backlash isn't an issue for them, their order book is overflowing!

Yes, and that is a problem.

Tesla can afford for anyone that wants to, or is pissed, to go elsewhere. But how long will people remember that / hold that grudge? Might be a long time. I'm never, in my lifetime, buying anything from VW stable because of the Dieselgate debacle. They shafted me, and I'm not very forgiving for lying and cheating. But I don't think I've met anyone else who feels that strongly on that issue! At some point Tesla will need those lost customers to at least be prepared to come back again :)

Reducing the car price would have been nice, and not pissed people off (and probably please a few "Great, I didn't need one anyway, just saved $400") ... but with prices moving upwards at best this would just be temporary halt to price increases.

Reactions: Tonyf