Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector to be not included?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
like apple removing a 3 pin plug to charge a new iPhone ‘to save the planet (£)’

And Samsung, Google, Xiaomi, ....
Apple did it first. Samsung even did a commercial mocking Apple for doing it. then they did it too.

But I see this worse because unlike phones which you can buy a cord anywhere for a few $ and plug it into a plethora of USB chargers you can't do that with a Tesla.
You don't have an old charger after you sold your old phone for the scrap value and you certainly can't pick one up on Amazon and plug it into a USB outlet you have at home or your laptop to charge it.

Reactions: NSS89
I used mine when I first got the car a lot as I didn’t have a charge point fitted but I’ve not used it since.

That said, I’d 100% buy one if it didn’t come with the car and it’s a very frustrating move. Having looked at other EVs, for nearly all, it’s an optional extra, Tesla isn’t the first it seems.

Very poor move here. It’s like removing the spare wheel, you may only need it once, but without it soo many people are going to get stranded.

I leased my last M3P, and so understandably gave the charger back - assuming one would come with my MYLR order - which this had started to make me re-think.

Do we know if this impacts existing orders? What about leasing through a company scheme? If we all assumed this was included.. aren’t we covered by consumer law?

I guess it’s acceptable now not to include it with trade ins, if it’s now an additional extra
From the terms and conditions:

Unless otherwise agreed in writing upon appraisal of the Trade-in Vehicle, the Seller agrees to deliver the Trade-in Vehicle to Tesla with all standard accessories including but not limited to:
i. floor mats,
ii. charging connectors and adapters,
iii. parcel shelves,
iv. storage nets,
v. two sets of keys,
vi. original wheels on summer tires

Which sounds pretty unambiguous
BUT
if a charging a adaptor is no longer concidered 'standard'.......

I used mine as a backup when my installed charge point was playing up. It’s a great reassurance to know that I have an alternative option when the nearest public charger would be a 30 mile round trip. I have also used it when staying away from home on a couple of occasions. It’s the kind of thing you use rarely but when you need it it’s really important.

Reactions: AquaY
I used mine as a backup when my installed charge point was playing up. It’s a great reassurance to know that I have an alternative option when the nearest public charger would be a 30 mile round trip. I have also used it when staying away from home on a couple of occasions. It’s the kind of thing you use rarely but when you need it it’s really important.
Exactly

I think we need to understand if this impacts existing orders - as I’d hope we’d be covered by some consumer regulations here. It’s the M3 frunk matts all over again!

It’s a few hundred quid on a £50k plus purchase. Cost to Tesla must be next to nothing. Such a poor move. But hardly surprising when they charge for odd things like storage trays in the centre console, and storage bins in the boot. Buy a Tesla now and set aside £500 for things that should be included.

Reactions: AquaY
I guess they don't come with a 4 year warrentee if you buy from the shop either.

You can buy a universal one for half what Tesla charge but I wonder if Tesla will see an uptick in service / warrentee claims after damage caused using cheap aftermarket chargers?