Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Ranger here, ask me (almost) anything!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about cold weather? Is there let's say a minimum outside temperature?
We had a senior mobile technician at our home last week. We have no garage, and it started lightly snowing while the technician was working on one of our Model S door handles. He kept our car's heater running full blast. We offered hot tea and an extra jacket, but he declined. Excellent service!

Does this still apply to a May 2018 Model S? I thought there had been some hardware improvements to correct this weakness.

In any case pls guesstimate how long you would expect to see a 2018 MS driver's door handle last if doing 20,000 miles/yr?

Cheers!
The Gen 3 handles are great. Less wiring, less moving parts, and issues. It still has moving parts that can wear. Anything that moves wears out. A dimmer switch can go bad if you use it daily. Things are always changing and improving so it's the best handle on the market. I have had to replace some of those gen 3 handles. There's a vendor here who sells the part that fails on the gen 3 handle which is great, since Tesla doesn't sell parts directly to the public (I wish we did). I'd sell the gen 3 paddle gears to my customers if they wanted them since they are only $1.22.

I can't estimate a time line since they only came it a couple of years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and OPRCE
How do you deal with poor weather?
If you have an appointment at 10 and it starts raining at 9 what would you do?
Or if it starts raining while you are working on a car?
How about cold weather? Is there let's say a minimum outside temperature?

Thank you!
If I can do the job safely and you'll allow it, then I'll do it. I've done a window regulator while it was raining while using my retractable awning on my service van. Car and I stayed dry. If I need to pull a front bumper off to do headlights then unless you have somewhere safe for me to do so then we need to reschedule.

Tesla provides us with multiple jackets and outerwear depending on the weather. We get a whole uniform outer wear set once a year. Thanks Elon!

The Gen 3 handles are great. Less wiring, less moving parts, and issues. It still has moving parts that can wear. Anything that moves wears out. A dimmer switch can go bad if you use it daily. Things are always changing and improving so it's the best handle on the market. I have had to replace some of those gen 3 handles. There's a vendor here who sells the part that fails on the gen 3 handle which is great, since Tesla doesn't sell parts directly to the public (I wish we did). I'd sell the gen 3 paddle gears to my customers if they wanted them since they are only $1.22.

I can't estimate a time line since they only came it a couple of years ago.

Thanks, I suppose we must all (before warranty expires) mob the Boss to incorporate those 3rd party paddle gears into the Tesla MS handles from the get go, as it will reduce headache and service calls all round!

Hi Mobile Ranger, question about dash rattles. My service centre has been unable to truly solve my dash creaking issues. I'm a handy guy and love a good DIY. I would like to remove the dash to add more butyl tape or whatever else can be added to address the issue. Can you talk me in or out of doing so? Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Hi Mobile Ranger, question about dash rattles. My service centre has been unable to truly solve my dash creaking issues. I'm a handy guy and love a good DIY. I would like to remove the dash to add more butyl tape or whatever else can be added to address the issue. Can you talk me in or out of doing so? Thanks!
Depending on your model I suggest making a video or having a mobile tech take a drive with you. Most rattles happen because something is broken or loose. Some panels or trim pieces need to be removed in a specific order to gain access safely to the dash pad or trim. You have a passenger airbag in the dash. If you don't disconnect it then you can do damage to a harness or component. I can't tell you how to do it, and I don't want you to get hurt. I've pulled dashes apart on other manufacturer vehicles as well. I go slow, and like to see behind of everything I'm pulling or removing.

On the model 3 I have an intermittent rattle coming from where the seat belt goes into the pillar, I can make it go away by adjusting the height but it is less comfortable in that position, I have seen that the fix has been putting foam inside to dampen the rattle, is this the only fix as of now and do you get a lot of these?

On the model 3 I have an intermittent rattle coming from where the seat belt goes into the pillar, I can make it go away by adjusting the height but it is less comfortable in that position, I have seen that the fix has been putting foam inside to dampen the rattle, is this the only fix as of now and do you get a lot of these?
You're talking about the upper b-pillar trim. That moving adjuster slides inside the trim piece. It's all held in with clips. A mobile visit can definitely repair that, or order the correct part(s) needed to do so. I've replaced a few of those.

Reactions: gilscales
I had a Ranger at my house a few months back. He said you're no longer called "Rangers", but something like "Mobile Service Techs". I think that's silly -- Ranger is the perfect name. We could update the Texas Ranger's motto "One Mob, One Texas Ranger" to "One repair, One Tesla Ranger".

So, by question: should we go picket Elon's house in favor of changing the name back?

I had a Ranger at my house a few months back. He said you're no longer called "Rangers", but something like "Mobile Service Techs". I think that's silly -- Ranger is the perfect name. We could update the Texas Ranger's motto "One Mob, One Texas Ranger" to "One repair, One Tesla Ranger".

So, by question: should we go picket Elon's house in favor of changing the name back?
I like the Ranger name lol. Yes, we are now Mobile Service Technicians. A ranger did time at the SC, then would occasionally do a ranger visit if needed. Then we turned into full time mobile technicians so hence the name change. I don't mind being called either of the 2.

And I like the motto. I try to fix it right the first time. I don't like band-aid repairs unless I get your approval. Example; I had a model s rear window switch go bad. It would roll down that window only after closing the door 10 seconds later. It was going to snow. I told the customer I can leave it unplugged so your interior won't get wet, and that I'll order the part and come back in a few days. She could still roll down the window though her driver door, but the switch on the actual door wouldn't work. She loved the idea and her car stayed dry until I returned a few days later.

Thanks for doing this and thanks for doing what you do!
Anytime!

I love what I do. I love the product. I love what the company as a whole is doing. I used to hesitate when people asked me how much I liked working at my other wrenching gigs: "ehh, it's cool" . Now it's different. "Yes, I'm happy and fortunate to be a Tesla employee". It's not perfect (yet), but we're getting there. We're only 10 years old, and Mobile is less than 2-3 years old.

How much of the “standard” annual checkup can be done by mobile service vs a service center? Do we get a “rain check” for the items that can’t be done (e.g., alignment) that can be used if/when we can get to a center?
Mobile can only do the annual services where fluid changes are not needed. If your annual service is performed via mobile and you need an alignment then yes, you can rain check an alignment at a SC.

Depending on your model I suggest making a video or having a mobile tech take a drive with you. Most rattles happen because something is broken or loose. Some panels or trim pieces need to be removed in a specific order to gain access safely to the dash pad or trim. You have a passenger airbag in the dash. If you don't disconnect it then you can do damage to a harness or component. I can't tell you how to do it, and I don't want you to get hurt. I've pulled dashes apart on other manufacturer vehicles as well. I go slow, and like to see behind of everything I'm pulling or removing.
Good call on the care required around the airbag. I will try to get it in again before the limited warranty runs out.

Whenever I accelerate super quickly, there is a chance a loud "thud" happens in one of the wheel wells that sounds pretty concerning. I don't experience any real driving performance issues, and there is no other indication anything is wrong outside of the loud sound, but I was curious if you had an idea on what it could be and if I should be concerned or not.

Model 3, LR, RWD. Vin 23XXX

Whenever I accelerate super quickly, there is a chance a loud "thud" happens in one of the wheel wells that sounds pretty concerning. I don't experience any real driving performance issues, and there is no other indication anything is wrong outside of the loud sound, but I was curious if you had an idea on what it could be and if I should be concerned or not.

Model 3, LR, RWD. Vin 23XXX
There are a lot of moving parts in those areas. Same thing I mentioned earlier with someone else with a noise. Record it, and have a drive tech confirm the issue. Mobile is not equipped to take your suspension and drive line apart to perform inspections like that. Could be a ball joint, could be an axle, or anything really that's down there. If you were to put a gopro behind the tire as you were dirivng you'd find a lot of components moving and making noise. Schedule a SC visit as soon as you can

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin and Adm