Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Ranger here, ask me (almost) anything!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Mobile Ranger

I know a day has passed, but if you are still open for questions I have another one. I have a cTek branded trickle charger (battery charger) that I had for my BMWs. The charger specifically supports AGM style batteries as thats what modern BMWs use.

Do you recommend that consumer / end users put the 12v on a trickle charger or does it receive "enough" charging from being plugged into a home charger (I have the Tesla HPWC on a 60 amp circuit). In BMWs, monthly or so trickle charging of the AGM battery extended the life of said battery.

Since it appears that low 12v in teslas can cause all sort of issues, I am looking to avoid that as much as possible.

If this is proprietary info, feel free to ignore.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP and dhrivnak
Is there a bug database the field can see and/or add to? It seems the only way to get attention to an issue is to tweet Elon. As many seemingly trivial software bugs continue to exist for years (e.g. audio goes off pause/mute every time a door is opened), we've lost faith that Tesla has a bug/feature list other than the ones Elon cares about.
I truly don't know. I don't think such a list exists. Can we escalate repairs of issues when our normal troubleshooting steps in our manuals don't work? Yes.

That's why I like this community. If a software update comes out and most of you download it in the evening, discuss the issues you all are having overnight, then someone like me reads it and it's a little bit of a heads up when I see a customer with the same issue.

@Mobile Ranger

I know a day has passed, but if you are still open for questions I have another one. I have a cTek branded trickle charger (battery charger) that I had for my BMWs. The charger specifically supports AGM style batteries as thats what modern BMWs use.

Do you recommend that consumer / end users put the 12v on a trickle charger or does it receive "enough" charging from being plugged into a home charger (I have the Tesla HPWC on a 60 amp circuit). In BMWs monthly or so trickle charging of the AGM battery extended the life of said battery.

Since it appears that low 12v in teslas can cause all sort of issues, I am looking to avoid that as much as possible.

If this is proprietary info, feel free to ignore.
The 12v can be jump stated, but not trickle charged. Your larger battery helps maintain your 12v, so keeping it plugged in for charging overnight should be good!

The 12v can be jump stated, but not trickle charged. Your larger battery helps maintain your 12v, so keeping it plugged in for charging overnight should be good!

Thanks for the reply!

On a side note, I am a new member of the "Tesla community" and really happy to see that your kindness in hosting such a question session has not been abused by said community.

Happy new year!

@Mobile Ranger

I know it’s been over a day, so no need to reply if you are done answering questions :) I did want to know if it was easy to remove the trunk liner/fabric (if it can be just pulled out or there are clips I’d need to be aware of). The extra cargo space between the tires got very wet and I wanted to see if there was an easy way to dry it out.
Removing trunk carpet/liner
You are correct. There are hardware and fasteners holding it in (you can see some of them near the manual release cable for your charge port door). If you have leds in there then you have connectors as well. Maybe look at the parts breakdown online to see what I'm talking about?

I was under the impression that technical support reassigns the request to mobile if in a mobile region and it can be done via mobile. I'll ask when I'm back to make sure, but I think that's how it's always been done?

I think it won't ever go to the Tesla app since not all repairs can be done mobile. Let's just say it existed. You see an opening for tomorrow at 10:00am. You schedule it. I get there, and your roof glass or seals need to be replaced. We can't do that safely by ourselves so now I leave? Maybe let you lock the time slot and then after an advisor reaches out to you to confirm the repair then it's finalized? Not sure. The SC and mobile service are 2 different beasts.

I think the best way for it to work is... instead of "scheduling service" in the app, there is also an option to "request mobile service." Describe the issue, perhaps add a photo, and it is reviewed by SC staff. If the service is OK for mobile, you get a notification/email to schedule.

I think the best way for it to work is... instead of "scheduling service" in the app, there is also an option to "request mobile service." Describe the issue, perhaps add a photo, and it is reviewed by SC staff. If the service is OK for mobile, you get a notification/email to schedule.
Maybe in the future we can have a drop down menu for all items you can select that Mobile can take care of? Photos definitely help!

Hi Ranger- what a refreshing idea- quick response and straight forward problem solving- thank you and Tesla.
I love my recently delivered Model 3!

However, one thing here doesn't fit with the overall Tesla image: closing the doors and the t/frunk. I had to practice closing them, and give a short training course to my wife and an older neighbour (also with M3), on how to be assertive and masculin and not to swear while you do that.
Any suggestion how to ease the pain?

Looking for a solution, I drove to Tesla service in Burbank CA and asked them to adjust the doors and the f/trunk, but the tech there simply told me "be strong and slam".

This is not an appropriate design for such an elegant car. Tesla should:
1. Redesign the closing
2. Devise a fix to to be implemented in the thousand of cars you've already shipped.

What I have in mind the fantastic example of Ford Explorer-see 30 sec. video clip- "look Ma no hand" solution for closing the SUV back.

Hi Ranger- what a refreshing idea- quick response and straight forward problem solving- thank you and Tesla.
I love my recently delivered Model 3!

However, one thing here doesn't fit with the overall Tesla image: closing the doors and the t/frunk. I had to practice closing them, and give a short training course to my wife and an older neighbour (also with M3), on how to be assertive and masculin and not to swear while you do that.
Any suggestion how to ease the pain?

Looking for a solution, I drove to Tesla service in Burbank CA and asked them to adjust the doors and the f/trunk, but the tech there simply told me "be strong and slam".

This is not an appropriate design for such an elegant car. Tesla should:
1. Redesign the closing
2. Devise a fix to to be implemented in the thousand of cars you've already shipped.

What I have in mind the fantastic example of Ford Explorer-see 30 sec. video clip- "look Ma no hand" solution for closing the SUV back.

Lots of cars have that automatic lift gate kick thing. The BMW I just returned, and my wifes current X5 also have it. Takes practice to get used to. The kicking part is not that great, actually. What IS great, and what I agree with, is it would be nice to have a powered trunk / frunk... Especially the front trunk (frunk). I have had my car a month, and have determined I wont really use the storage in the frunk. I dont want to put my hands all over my hood each time to close it.

With all that being said, I am sure tesla has already considered "powered trunk / powered frunk" so it wouldnt be anything new as a suggestion to them. I am betting that Model Y will have powered trunk at least.

Not sure what mobile ranger could do about this, however... other than pass on a suggestion which I am sure tesla has heard a million times on powering the trunk and frunk.

Reactions: Exscite
~~~Frunk opening~~~

This has been discussed since the earliest days of TMC. Every so often it must be re-addressed:

So long as a front hood is hinged so that it swings back toward the windshield, automobile manufacturers must have it constructed so that
(1) there is a dual latching system, and
(2) it must be able to be fully closed only manually, so that the operator personally is aware it properly has been locked.

No automatic closing mechanisms are allowed.

Amused that some whine about being "40 miles" from a SC: my closest is a 6-hour drive!

Last time I had my car in for service, they agreed it could be "uncorked," and when I picked it up the invoice said "software staged" -- yet it has never been finished. The plain 75 I got as a loaner was faster than my D. So what do I do now? Can it be finished remotely? Do I call the 800 number, the SC, or what?

• Love
Reactions: GreenT
To be quite honest, model s/x touchscreens. The job isn't hard. Most of us can do it in an hour flat (or less). What's rough is sometimes when we pull your decor trim (carbon fiber/wood/etc) it can sometimes break or crack. I love cars. I love Tesla's. I hate having to leave your vehicle worse than when I arrived. Sure, I'll order you a new glove box trim piece or whatever I broke, but just the thought I broke it and don't have a replacement bums me out. We can't stock every single trim piece. The SC's have it easy. It broke? Cool, walk 15 feet to the parts guy and get another one. Those pieces break, and I understand sometimes it's out of my control. It will eat at me if it happens especially on a Friday afternoon. It will kill my weekend. I care that much, maybe too much? Whoa, this is deep lol.

Once I have all the pieces off then it's smooth sailing.

Another repair is a simple one too. Charge ports. Not doors, the charge ports. We have to update the software before you can start using it. If something happens and it's unsuccessful (like the headlight software post just now) I now have turned your vehicle into a huge paperweight. You didn't do anything wrong, neither did I. It has happened to me twice. Their 12v was weak, but not failing yet. Then I did their charge port. Now the 12v goes bad. I can't update if the 12v is bad. Again, I feel horrible, but it happens. Customer had to call a tow truck and there goes my night. There I am, staring off into the sunset thinking what could I have done differently. The only thing I can do is learn and be more prepared next time (I have extra 12v's on me now lol)

Great question ;)

Wait, so if I a rock hits my headlight and I'm out of warranty I can't just replace it with a used part? How would an owner go about replacing a headlight if a software update is required to make it work?

Thanks for doing this @Mobile Ranger

I'm also past the "one day", but in case you are bored between appointments... I'm going to rudely ask 2 questions, about my early 2013 Model S (Vin 10,xxx) lol:

1) I just got red-ring on my charge port. My charger is doing the "cycle the contactors 3 times and give up" dance. Happens with both my HPWC and UMC, so it's not the source. This is the exact same thing that happened to my primary charger 3 years ago, and I found out after the fact that it had blown a fuse.... but by then I had already had my 2nd charger swapped over to be a single primary. Now that this one has also failed, I 'm going to just replace the fuse. My question: If I have to remove the charger to do so, is it possible to do without having to purge the cooling system? (I am aware of the HV implications of this, and have experience in such... I'll be pullig the cut loop, checking with a meter, etc...)

2) My CID just got it's first air-bubble. This screen delamination/leak is very common with the Gen1 screens. Tesla service centers have gone form replacing entire CID's to just the screens with a newer revision. Rumor has it they have stopped as there is yet another revision coming in the future they are waiting for. My question: Any input on if the above is true, and if so any thought on this being one as a good-will repair as the early screens obviously had quality issues.

As my vehicle is out of warranty, I understand #1 above is not something you would advise a customer to do... nor problem My questions id primarily about the removal/coolant issue, as I don't have access to toolbox to rung the pumps in a purge cycle.

Thanks!

Hi! Thanks for this :). I'm trying to get my car to update to the latest software. I'm on .44 and having some minor issues (climate system having issues turning off when initiated via the app, odometer showing as --- on occasions). I've tried using the hotspot on my cell phone before -- and it never updates. Tesla said the signal isn't strong enough. So last night, I tried parking it in front of the apt and turned my laptop on as a hot spot. I messed around for 2 hours. It connected quickly but then disconnected after about 15 min each time and hardly downloaded anything. It still only had 2 bars of signal. Guessing that was why... Pretty frustrating -- any thoughts? Seems odd to me that my quick internet on both my phone/laptop tethering with 2 or 3 bars isn't "strong" enough for little Tesla to utilize to update itself.

Strange. It shouldn't be that difficult to close. Definitely contact service or request mobile to see what we can do. Just like any latch or striker there are adjustments.

Thanks for that. And thank you for being here! It’s awesome! My frunk requires a VERY firm push. A lot of times it will bounce back up. By comparison, the frunk on my 911 (which does have a safety catch) requires a mildly firm push. At times I feel like I might dent the hood.

On another note, I have a rattle coming from my phone dock. When I lift the doc, it mostly goes away, sometimes completely. I’ve removed the trim on the front, and that doesn’t always stop it.

Any ideas to stop it?

Thank you again!

Hi! Thanks for this :). I'm trying to get my car to update to the latest software. I'm on .44 and having some minor issues (climate system having issues turning off when initiated via the app, odometer showing as --- on occasions). I've tried using the hotspot on my cell phone before -- and it never updates. Tesla said the signal isn't strong enough. So last night, I tried parking it in front of the apt and turned my laptop on as a hot spot. I messed around for 2 hours. It connected quickly but then disconnected after about 15 min each time and hardly downloaded anything. It still only had 2 bars of signal. Guessing that was why... Pretty frustrating -- any thoughts? Seems odd to me that my quick internet on both my phone/laptop tethering with 2 or 3 bars isn't "strong" enough for little Tesla to utilize to update itself.
BTW, where is the wireless receiver -- I tried putting my tethered phone in a couple of places (in hopes to get decent signal strength) with no luck.