Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Model 3 Öhlins DFV Coilovers - Engineered by Redwood Motorsports ™

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can one maintain the full stock ground clearance with the performance sport shocks? I have a driveway transition that is problematic for some LR AWD 3's but not for our LR RWD ones. It would be for one of the LR RWD cars.
Yes you can actually adjust higher than stock ride height (if needed)

How would you compare this to the model S air suspension? I have a P90DL but I'm considering selling it and moving into a 3. I had Ohlins DFV on my old 335is and loved them, but my current air suspension is super comfortable.

I haven't driven the air suspension but if comfort is the goal, check out the Grand Touring version of our kit, with the valving and spring rates being specifically designed for ride quality / comfort versus maximum grip like the Performance version.

I understand what those are trying to do. But they can make the car handle differently at the limit in lower grip weather (or on lower-grip tires), compared to high-grip situations. At what shock extension do they activate with default/recommended setup?
I see what you mean. Yeah if you'd like to run without them you definitely can. I'll put a chart together to show at what point they become active (dependent on ride height). Though, in low grip situations (wet, street tires, etc) you can't generate as much grip and therefore will not get as much body roll - which will keep them less active at the limit of traction. Obviously there are a number of factors here. But if you'd prefer to run without them you can omit them during the install.

For most customers however, I would highly recommend using them as there are good gains to be had and not really any downsides.

Reactions: BodegaBay
I also am waiting for the early adopters to provide their feedback. We have lots of reports on the MPP products and customer service, and I’d like to get as much information as possible before parting with that much cash. I have no reason to doubt the Redwood claims, given Olins’ reputation for quality.

Reactions: ElectricGhost
Any assist springs for the front ??

Absolutely, if you would like we can omit them from your shipment. However, they do not create inconsistent handling, the net effect (at the limit) is actually additional grip and more consistent handling (as helper/assist springs are only active / at play at the limit - they are flat ground springs that are completely compressed in normal use).

What assist springs do (think of them as higher-rate helper springs) is selectively provide a lower spring rate than your main spring, for an individual wheel that is being unloaded. In general, a softer spring will generate more grip - which is desirable with an unloaded wheel, but does not provide good roll control when the wheel is loaded. When you combine an assist spring on top of a main spring, you end up with the best of both worlds - with the assist spring only active in more extreme conditions where significant amount of weight is being removed from an individual wheel... you will find the handling at the limit to be *more* consistent, not less.

2020-02-10.jpg

Today, I had the opportunity to take a spin in the @RedwoodMotors DM 3 dev mule with Ohlins suspension on stock 18" rolling stock. Composed would be the best word to describe the experience.

The damper was set at about the middle of the adjustment range. During my 10min or so drive, the car felt well planted through the undulating road surfaces. The suspension compressed and rebounded predictably. Given this was on the streets, with stock eco-focused 18" tires, it was not feasible or meaningful to push the suspension near the limits.

As an MPP Sports Coilover owner, I am delighted with how my car is total transformed compares to stock. Both on track and on street. Just in the short time I had in the mule, I can sense the difference between MPP and Redwood's offering. However, given my car and Redwood development mule has an entirely different setup, not the least the rolling stock. Redwood mentioned they are in the final stages of fine-tuning. Hopefully, soon, we can have two similarly prepared cars for side by side objective and subjective comparison.

I am thrilled for the Tesla community to have another performance-focused company with racing experiences dedicate their resources to bring great products to market. More choices, the better it is for us enthusiasts.

PS: In Redwood's shop, it was cool to see a bunch of cars in states of performance modification. A few are for racing, and a few are for track days.

Today, I had the opportunity to take a spin in the @RedwoodMotors DM 3 dev mule with Ohlins suspension on stock 18" rolling stock. Composed would be the best word to describe the experience.

The damper was set at about the middle of the adjustment range. During my 10min or so drive, the car felt well planted through the undulating road surfaces. The suspension compressed and rebounded predictably. Given this was on the streets, with stock eco-focused 18" tires, it was not feasible or meaningful to push the suspension near the limits.

As an MPP Sports Coilover owner, I am delighted with how my car is total transformed compares to stock. Both on track and on street. Just in the short time I had in the mule, I can sense the difference between MPP and Redwood's offering. However, given my car and Redwood development mule has an entirely different setup, not the least the rolling stock. Redwood mentioned they are in the final stages of fine-tuning. Hopefully, soon, we can have two similarly prepared cars for side by side objective and subjective comparison.

I am thrilled for the Tesla community to have another performance-focused company with racing experiences dedicate their resources to bring great products to market. More choices, the better it is for us enthusiasts.

PS: In Redwood's shop, it was cool to see a bunch of cars in states of performance modification. A few are for racing, and a few are for track days.

So what difference did you notice compared to MPP?

Reactions: bcpm3p
So what difference did you notice compared to MPP?

The difference I noticed.

MPP is Blue. Redwood is Orange. ;)

It would not be fair to either companies nor the community for me to report more than that. The two cars I drove back to back are in different states of setup and tuning. My car has all the MPP suspension bits shipped in 2019 installed and dialed for street on 255/35/19 PS4S dialed for street. Redwood car has Redwood/Ohlins coilover and Redwood FUCA with stock 18” tires.

The difference I noticed.

MPP is Blue. Redwood is Orange. ;)

It would not be fair to either companies nor the community for me to report more than that. The two cars I drove back to back are in different states of setup and tuning. My car has all the MPP suspension bits shipped in 2019 installed and dialed for street on 255/35/19 PS4S dialed for street. Redwood car has Redwood/Ohlins coilover and Redwood FUCA with stock 18” tires.

Its better to take offline then ;)

Do you have picture of your car with 255/35/19 and how much did you lower? I have been told in other places that 255/35/19 is lower size than stock and would look bad.

Its better to take offline then ;)

Do you have picture of your car with 255/35/19 and how much did you lower? I have been told in other places that 255/35/19 is lower size than stock and would look bad.

That’s a typo. My tires are 255/40/19, overall 1/2” taller than stock. Which translate to 1/4” less wheel gap, while increase ground clearance by 1/4”. I don’t want to hijack this thread. There are plenty of post with my car already.

Absolutely, if you would like we can omit them from your shipment. However, they do not create inconsistent handling, the net effect (at the limit) is actually additional grip and more consistent handling (as helper/assist springs are only active / at play at the limit - they are flat ground springs that are completely compressed in normal use).

What assist springs do (think of them as higher-rate helper springs) is selectively provide a lower spring rate than your main spring, for an individual wheel that is being unloaded. In general, a softer spring will generate more grip - which is desirable with an unloaded wheel, but does not provide good roll control when the wheel is loaded. When you combine an assist spring on top of a main spring, you end up with the best of both worlds - with the assist spring only active in more extreme conditions where significant amount of weight is being removed from an individual wheel... you will find the handling at the limit to be *more* consistent, not less.

2020-02-10.jpg

Hello @RedwoodMotors,

I have a few questions if you don't mind:

1. Will the assist springs exhibit any noise? From the pic, it looks like it's making contact with the main spring which I would imagine would cause rubbing.

2. How easy is it to reach the dampening/rebound knobs to adjust? Any close up pics we can see?

3. As we are approaching March, how close are you to shipping these units?

Thank you.