Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Model 3 Öhlins DFV Coilovers - Engineered by Redwood Motorsports ™

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

Read from first to last page.
Ycwsuspension is releasing their custom coilovers for model 3, you can customize spring rate and valving curves with them. You can read more about them here.
YCW Suspension Sale: 100% Custom Valved Coilovers from $1349.95!

I’m waiting for more choices, I really like the ohlins GT too but hard for me to digest the price point for daily driving.

interested in both ohlins and ycw. Maybe start a new YCW thread to keep Thrace of updates?

RedwoodMotors said:
Yes sir! Definitely a good weight-savings over stock!

tesla_IMG_2289_dfv.jpg

tesla_IMG_2267_oem.jpg

Here's my front MPP Sport coilovers WITHOUT the OEM top hat but gives you guys an idea for weight comparison.

Attachments

• 20200123_122645.jpg
    20200123_122645.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 184
  • Informative
Reactions: bcpm3p
I apologize in advance but I have a newb to coilovers question for either @RedwoodMotors or anyone else with experience. Given that these are height adjustable, how easy is this to do at home? Would I just be able to raise the car, remove the tire and make the adjustment or is it more complicated and possibly require a trip to a shop?

I’m interested in lowering my P3D 1-1.5” and I’m reluctant to use springs after having adjustable air suspension on my previous car. I like the idea of being able to raise the rear .5” for example if I am going on a trip and know the car will be loaded with people and luggage. I’m also interested in the ride quality and it sounds like these would be really nice coilovers in that regard as well.

Thank you for any info anyone can provide.

While you can adjust height at home, every time you do you will change your alignment settings, and therefore will need to get re-aligned. I would recommend picking a useable height for your average use-case for the car and sticking with that. Damping settings can be adjusted at any time however.

As far as ride quality and handling goes, the Ohlins compared to an air suspension setup it's really not comparable in any way, and on a completely different end of the spectrum.

Do you guys install? Im up in Montclair, about 20 mins away from you lot.. Also, what about ride height drop, is this easy? up and down? Up for standard road duty and low for the occasional track day?

We do have installation services available in house, in addition to digital alignment, corner balancing, etc. We have a 4 bay fully equipped shop with two certified technicians, familiar with race prep and setup - we are a block from the Tesla Factory. In the future, we will be opening a Tesla-Dedicated wing as well!

So, if I'm never tracking the car, have a sports car for the weekend, live in an area with not a lot of twisties and lot s of straight concrete highways plus nasty broken concrete pavement, but still want the car to have that sporty older BMW feeling like an E46 M3 or an E39 M5, sounds like the Grand Tourings with the shocks set to the stiffer range of the settings? Or better off going for the Performance Sports and dialing them all the way soft? I just DON"T want a floaty ride.

Thanks.

I would say the Performance setup would be closer to the E46 M3. However, like you said, you can crank up the damper knobs stiffer on the GT kit, which would still give you an overall higher ride quality for day to day use, but the tradeoff is a more body roll cornering. Neither setup will give you a floaty ride, and are light years beyond the OEM dampers as far as performance goes.

Do you have any recommended installers in the western PA area?

Also do you guys offer a discount for purchase of multiple products? (coilovers + f/r control arms)

As a side note. Nice choice on the color. I'm pretty fond of orange. View attachment 498716

Thanks for the kind words! We are one of Ohlins very few engineering development partners... we adhere to all of their anodizing color requirements, and plating durability (Mil-Spec on wear items etc). I wish we could take credit for their orange/gold color scheme though :) ... but we've designed our products (engineering and looks wise) to seamlessly integrate with the Ohlins product line. We don't have a multi-purchase discount but we DO have our pre-order pricing running across the entire website currently, which is a full 10% off the entire website. We are just starting to get the major components in from our Front Camber/Caster arms in from manufacturing, and Rear Toe/Camber arms as well. The coupon code is available currently on our site www.RedwoodMotorsports.com (once the pre-order message is gone the code will be inactive, so if you are considering a set I would recommend getting your pre-order in as we have a limited number of kits available).

I am interested to upgrade my model 3 suspensions with aftermarket Coilover. The main shock body is made by Öhlins and Redwood has modified to fit model 3. Please advise who will own the warranty of the kit?

How often do we need to rebuild the Coilover for normal street drive use?

Dampers are a wear item. Rather than trashing them, the higher end ones can be rebuilt.
This is absolutely correct. Ohlins specifically can be rebuilt here in the US with a 3-4 day turnaround time. Other dampers will be trash or not worth rebuilding (or parts will not be available in the future). That said, the Ohlins DFV is an EXTREMELY robust damper, and are OEM on a number of factory cars (check out the Volvo Polestar). We've sold over 500 sets of Ohlins in the last 10+ years, and have had literally 2 leaking dampers in that entire time (obviously on the other platforms we support) but they are extremely durable dampers as the machining tolerances are very tight. You get what you pay for when it comes to dampers, and Ohlins is the top of the list.

They only need to be rebuilt if you blow or overload valves and seals. If you're running them mostly on the street, and the shock becomes a bit softer you simply dial up the shock to a firmer setting. I've had probably 10 sets at least of adjustable shocks, and I've never had to have one of them serviced for wear ever. This despite keeping many cars many years.
That is correct for the most part... if they're not leaking they most likely do not need a rebuild. Yes dampers will age over time, so as the seals wear the damping quality will decrease, however, with the super tight tolerances the Ohlins run, we see extremely low wear and low particulate in the oil (we've done oil analysis on used shocks with 40,000 miles running the buttery smooth Ohlins 1304 Race Oil that the DFV's were designed to run (factory Ohlins use generic Yamaha shock oil) and have found negligible wear). These are truely meant to last!

benchmark of the luxury ride to me is Lexus. I need car to drive around town to run errands, go to work, and some long drive over the weekend. I'm not into sports racing nor care much about track performance. roads are bad enough in NE. That being said, which Coilover, spring can be considered equivalent of Lexus type softer ride!!??

Anyone?

The closest you'll get here would be the Grand Touring valving, which we are designed to give the most comfortable ride without wildly sacrificing handling or driving performance. To Teslas credit, the Model 3 is a very tight (and safe) car... there's not much nose-dive under braking like a Lexus for instance, which makes emergency stops squirly in an ultra-soft Lexus. However, we feel that for the damper quality Tesla was forced to use (cheap OEM dampers) they were not able to achieve a good balance between ride quality and damping performance due to high hysteresis - Ohlins can do both, and has additional tricks up their sleeve that benefit ride quality, but, you do pay for it cost wise. Eliminating cost from the equation though, you won't find a higher quality damper - which translates to both better ride quality and performance - all things equal.

MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

Read from first to last page.
Ycwsuspension is releasing their custom coilovers for model 3, you can customize spring rate and valving curves with them. You can read more about them here.
YCW Suspension Sale: 100% Custom Valved Coilovers from $1349.95!

I’m waiting for more choices, I really like the ohlins GT too but hard for me to digest the price point for daily driving.

Those are very cheap Taiwanese coilovers. Expect a very harsh ride, low cornering performance, or both. I would not put those anywhere near a Tesla... those barely belong on a 90's Honda Civic.

Question asked on Jan 9th. Jan 21st today, no reply.. despite bump a week later. Fair dos, customer service not quite there yet..

Hey, didn't mean to leave you hanging in any way. We have been EXTREMELY busy working on R/D, testing, and assembling new components that are now arriving. If you ever need to get ahold of us quicker or have any questions please please feel free to email [email protected] as we are not here trying to push products on the forums constantly. In the future when the dust settles we'll have more time to dedicate to interacting on the forums, but right now our focus is on engineering and R/D for our upcoming launches.

Yes we absolutely do installs here in the shop, and depending on the hardware we're installing (coilovers vs coilovers + front and rear arms, etc.) I can put together a package deal/quote for installation. Again sorry for the delay in getting back to you, we genuinely want to help everyone and answer all questions as soon as possible, but we're not monitoring forum threads as often as we will be in the future as we ramp up engineering and production of our parts.

On a positive note, our Front Camber+Caster arms are nearly finishied, our rear Camber/Toe arms are just about ready to ship, and coilovers are 90% finished!! We also just submitted our custom forged wheel for production, and are awaiting samples and physical load tests as we move through the certification processes!

This is absolutely correct. Ohlins specifically can be rebuilt here in the US with a 3-4 day turnaround time. Other dampers will be trash or not worth rebuilding (or parts will not be available in the future). That said, the Ohlins DFV is an EXTREMELY robust damper, and are OEM on a number of factory cars (check out the Volvo Polestar). We've sold over 500 sets of Ohlins in the last 10+ years, and have had literally 2 leaking dampers in that entire time (obviously on the other platforms we support) but they are extremely durable dampers as the machining tolerances are very tight. You get what you pay for when it comes to dampers, and Ohlins is the top of the list.

That is correct for the most part... if they're not leaking they most likely do not need a rebuild. Yes dampers will age over time, so as the seals wear the damping quality will decrease, however, with the super tight tolerances the Ohlins run, we see extremely low wear and low particulate in the oil (we've done oil analysis on used shocks with 40,000 miles running the buttery smooth Ohlins 1304 Race Oil that the DFV's were designed to run (factory Ohlins use generic Yamaha shock oil) and have found negligible wear). These are truely meant to last!

Should the recommended service interval from Ohlins be followed with this setup? I have a set of Ohlins coilovers on my S2000 that I have always followed the service interval of ~20,000 miles between service, waiting until the dampers start leaking before service is asking for trouble IMO.

Will these also come with recommended/tested measurements for pre-load and base height to obtain optimum bump/droop travel at X ride height? While this can be done by the end-user, It's really nice when the leg work is already done by the suspension engineer, for my S2000 I paid suspension engineers to calculate the optimum configuration for my Ohlins based off all my variables.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    39.4 KB · Views: 126
Should the recommended service interval from Ohlins be followed with this setup? I have a set of Ohlins coilovers on my S2000 that I have always followed the service interval of ~20,000 miles between service, waiting until the dampers start leaking before service is asking for trouble IMO.

Will these also come with recommended/tested measurements for pre-load and base height to obtain optimum bump/droop travel at X ride height? While this can be done by the end-user, It's really nice when the leg work is already done by the suspension engineer, for my S2000 I paid suspension engineers to calculate the optimum configuration for my Ohlins based off all my variables.

I had KW V3 on my s2000 and when i rode in one with the ohlins it was so much more compliant over large bumps and with the single adjustment, it handled the rebound and compression better. i find the KW nice if you want to change the spring that you can increase rebound only but ohlins does it all in 1 knob with better comfort over large bumps.

Reactions: RedwoodMotors

Absolutely, we will provide a full instruction manual with a ride height chart vs spring preload adjustment that is optimized for bump stop contact to protect the battery pack, with a recommended safe adjustment ranges.

Which Ohlins are you running on your S2K? Our sister company produces a number of race-winning custom Ohlins kits for the S2K platform. Rebuilding every 20,000 is absolutely not necessary. We've sold over 500 Ohlins kits of all makes and models over the years and have had literally *2* individual dampers that have come in with a falied shock seal (2/2000). The only time we really have them come back for a rebuild are when customers buy them second hand and don't know the history, or if they send them in for custom re-valving for higher spring rates or different custom valving curves (at which point we recommend a rebuild since they're apart).

But honestly, the Volvo Polestar comes with Ohlins DFV's from the factory, no stated rebuild interval. We've also done oil analysis after 20K and 40K street miles... extremely low measurable wear / oil contamination with the Ohlins 1304 Race Oil. They showed no signs of needing to be rebuilt. Compared to OEM shocks and cheaper shock bodies, that's unheard of. This has to do with the quality of the seals and internal machining tolerances Ohlins adheres to, as well as their internal components. They're second to none. Rebuilding with 20,000 track miles mixed with some street miles sure... strictly street car, absolutely not! Ohlins own documentation is both unreasonably conservative, and geared towards mixed race use. I would wager if you drove a car with 50,000 miles and 5,000 miles you'd have a very hard time telling which is which in a blind test. If it's a track car, sure, they can be rebuilt earlier to keep the performance 100% but we're talking about competitive track cars trying to shave off fractions of a second.

I had KW V3 on my s2000 and when i rode in one with the ohlins it was so much more compliant over large bumps and with the single adjustment, it handled the rebound and compression better. i find the KW nice if you want to change the spring that you can increase rebound only but ohlins does it all in 1 knob with better comfort over large bumps.

Beautifully said! Which Ohlins did you ride in? Our sister company SakeBomb Garage did all of the custom FPSpec Long-Stroke, and FPSport Ohlins DFV kits. Even the standard S2K Ohlins are great, but the same Long-Stroke engineering / valving went into the Tesla Model 3 kit!

I saw that they weren't super active on the forum, so I emailed them. They got back to me in about 48 hours. Not bad.

If you are serious, suggest sending an email for faster response.

I know, we're not the most responsive on the forum currently... thank you all for being so patient with us.

It's honestly tough as we're spending 98% of our time engineering and testing new parts. As a result the outreach side does suffer. I do hope that once the dust settles our response time will be much better, but at the moment we are honestly just trying our damndest to create the best possible parts for you guys and make sure all of our T's are crossed and I's are dotted. Plus we have some additional cool products in the works (our control arms are finally arriving and being assembled, our forged wheels just went into production, and floating top hats are currently in production as well!) Should hopefully be ready to announce shortly, and ship around the same time the suspension (very soon)!

If you are really serious, drive down to their office. They would respond in the same day. ;)

Hey, we're ALWAYS happy to see locals! We're literally a block from the Tesla factory... we'd like to put together a local NorCal meet as soon as we're through our insane R/D schedule. If you guys are local, maybe we can do a Plug-In and Coffee some Saturday or Sunday morning coming up!

Absolutely, we will provide a full instruction manual with a ride height chart vs spring preload adjustment that is optimized for bump stop contact to protect the battery pack, with a recommended safe adjustment ranges.

Which Ohlins are you running on your S2K? Our sister company produces a number of race-winning custom Ohlins kits for the S2K platform. Rebuilding every 20,000 is absolutely not necessary. We've sold over 500 Ohlins kits of all makes and models over the years and have had literally *2* individual dampers that have come in with a falied shock seal (2/2000). The only time we really have them come back for a rebuild are when customers buy them second hand and don't know the history, or if they send them in for custom re-valving for higher spring rates or different custom valving curves (at which point we recommend a rebuild since they're apart).

But honestly, the Volvo Polestar comes with Ohlins DFV's from the factory, no stated rebuild interval. We've also done oil analysis after 20K and 40K street miles... extremely low measurable wear / oil contamination with the Ohlins 1304 Race Oil. They showed no signs of needing to be rebuilt. Compared to OEM shocks and cheaper shock bodies, that's unheard of. This has to do with the quality of the seals and internal machining tolerances Ohlins adheres to, as well as their internal components. They're second to none. Rebuilding with 20,000 track miles mixed with some street miles sure... strictly street car, absolutely not! Ohlins own documentation is both unreasonably conservative, and geared towards mixed race use. I would wager if you drove a car with 50,000 miles and 5,000 miles you'd have a very hard time telling which is which in a blind test. If it's a track car, sure, they can be rebuilt earlier to keep the performance 100% but we're talking about competitive track cars trying to shave off fractions of a second.

I recently installed the SBG FPsport coilovers on my S2K, which were ordered to replace a set of Ohlins with unknown miles. it's reassuring to hear the same engineering that went into the performance offerings from SBG went into these, Its a slight peeve of mine when retailers slap together off-the-shelf suspension components (mostly from Taiwan) then slap on a label and market them as performance parts, without ever taking overall suspension design into account.

It's also good to hear your experience with rebuild frequency, as you mentioned, I only replaced my Ohlins due to unknown miles from PO and consideration of factory recommendations, but even with the unknown mixed track/street miles they were performing good.

I'm still waiting for my M3P+ order to deliver, but I'll probably be considering these in the future.

There's no question, Ohlins are a cut above the rest. Even certain coilover kits 'Made in Germany' are just assembled there with the main parts coming from Taiwan.

One of the big problems with suspension is you can look at all the lovely shiney photos and read all the marketing hype you like but it's not until you bolt it on and try it for yourself that you'll find out what it's really like.

What we need are more opportunities to try before we buy, but until then I think it's better to save up a bit longer and just buy the best based on the prior history and reputation of the manufacturer.

There's no question, Ohlins are a cut above the rest. Even certain coilover kits 'Made in Germany' are just assembled there with the main parts coming from Taiwan.

One of the big problems with suspension is you can look at all the lovely shiney photos and read all the marketing hype you like but it's not until you bolt it on and try it for yourself that you'll find out what it's really like.

What we need are more opportunities to try before we buy, but until then I think it's better to save up a bit longer and just buy the best based on the prior history and reputation of the manufacturer.

Absolutely hear you on wanting to try before you buy. We have a vendor in the UK that has 3 kits coming in (all performance kits to start though I'm sure he'll be grabbing a few GT kits as well once they're ready to ship). I'm sure he would be more than happy to give you a ride and walk you through them in person if you happen to be close by. Shoot us an email and I can put you guys in contact [email protected]

Cheers!

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
I would love to see all good vendors be successful, but I just noticed (I know, I’m late on this) that Redwood/Öhlins is almost 2X the cost of MPP Sport. Has anyone compared both MPP Sport and Redwood/ÖhlinsCoilovers.

There is often diminishing returns on higher priced performance gear...and often hard to measure.

Would be helpful oft here was a way we could see that the higher price would return performance/reliability over the lower prices units?

I don’t mind paying more, but only if I can realize the value.

Coming from Porsche and MIATA world, it would be awesome to see the type of enthusiast and aftermarket develop in the Tesla space.

...kind of exciting times.

Here's what we need. Blinded reviews from multiple reviewers. One car set-up with mountain pass performance sport coilovers, set at recommended Street settings, and an otherwise identically tired and wheeled model 3 with the Ohlins performance setup also set at recommended Street settings. Multiple drivers should drive under variety of real world and road conditions, blinded completely to which car had which set up. Then set both systems optimally for track and have experienced drivers track both cars.

Expensive and very time-consuming to do it this way but it's the only way that has any scientific integrity.

Reactions: bcpm3p and Orwell
I would love to see all good vendors be successful, but I just noticed (I know, I’m late on this) that Redwood/Öhlins is almost 2X the cost of MPP Sport. Has anyone compared both MPP Sport and Redwood/ÖhlinsCoilovers.

There is often diminishing returns on higher priced performance gear...and often hard to measure.

Would be helpful oft here was a way we could see that the higher price would return performance/reliability over the lower prices units?

I don’t mind paying more, but only if I can realize the value.

Coming from Porsche and MIATA world, it would be awesome to see the type of enthusiast and aftermarket develop in the Tesla space.

...kind of exciting times.
I sent you a PM. I don't want to poop in this vendors thread. I had the same internal debate.