Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Model 3 Öhlins DFV Coilovers - Engineered by Redwood Motorsports ™

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today is the day!
1356973B-D39B-4FF4-967A-E8686186CED5.jpeg

The comparison vehicles. My car in the front with mods well documented here. BeastMode13's Dual Purpose P3D Build Journey
9227563F-DB4C-4DE5-A32C-E00D75D2B65A.jpeg

The Redwood test mule.
7CC868ED-4642-4AE9-9C72-7982C8DEFDC6.jpeg

Hello there. The object of our collective interest and curiosity. Aside from Redwood Ohlins, their own FUCA, rear camber arm, rear toe arm are installed on the car.
1BDE9038-636F-4AF4-8F0C-09AD7DDB0C60.jpeg

The big question is, how is the ride. Tires play a factor in the ride quality of a car, so I swap on my track set with 265/35/19 RE71R to match the tire/wheel setup of Redwood. I also adjusted my tire pressure to match at 34psi hot. We made adjustments to the compression and rebound for both cars to be at near the softest setting. My MPP set at 14c/13r. Redwood set at 20, Ohlins are one-way adjustable. Note on the Ohlins' 30 click adjustment. Redwood noted the valve is pretty much full open at 20, so there is little difference between 20 to 30.

We drove both cars on the streets of Fremont around Redwood HQ for over an hour. Both systems are street/track-focused, but at the soft settings, it handled the expansion joint, bumps, humps, road turtles, and road imperfections equally well. Which means way better than stock P3D or 3 suspensions. Does it make the turtle disappear, nope, it is still there, you can feel it, but much smoother, not jarring like stock. Composure over road undulations was well controlled. I would feel very comfortable driving at autobahn speed. Well, at least with MPP, I drove it at that speed on the tracks. With the stock suspension, the car gets floaty and unsettled over undulation at 60mph+.

The only place where I can feel the DFV having a noticeable advantage is driving over closely placed road reflector, like the yellow reflector in the photo below. The quick succession of small impacts would start to build up with the MPP where I can feel the vibration in my lower back while I did not feel that vibration with the Ohlins. Bear in mind this is a particular case, that I purposely drove on the high-density turtle to produce. When the reflector is placed farther apart, like the white ones in the photo, both MPP and Ohlins perform equally well, meaning no vibrations. Perhaps MPP/KW could be as good with better compression or rebound adjustment on my part?

1DB7A1FC-9ECD-4819-A535-5A72D05299D2.jpeg

On the test route, there is an off-camber left turn with a bump in mid-corner. My car felt planted going over and the bump and through the entire turn. While Redwood's test mule got a little unsettled by the bump. Redwood said this could be addressed with damping adjustment. I don’t have a doubt since Ohlins competes at all levels of Motorsports. Likewise with KW.

Both of these systems are of high quality. You can't go wrong with either. It is a great time to be a Model 3 enthusiasts.

Last edited:
Thank you BeastMode13 for the detailed write up! I was stuck on the fence about this decision and you have provided all the people waiting the first real experience with the Redwood Ohlins kit. I wish i was closer to visit their shop personally but the fact that you would take the time to go out and test it even though you already own the MPP setup is crazy man and I appreciate that. This is probably a big purchase for many and you’ve given us more info to make our decisions easier.

BTW. Do you notice. Both MPP and Redwood development mule are white. White 3 are the fastest. :D
Thank you BeastMode13 for the detailed write up! I was stuck on the fence about this decision and you have provided all the people waiting the first real experience with the Redwood Ohlins kit. I wish i was closer to visit their shop personally but the fact that you would take the time to go out and test it even though you already own the MPP setup is crazy man and I appreciate that. This is probably a big purchase for many and you’ve given us more info to make our decisions easier.

I am glad you find it helpful. I am a product guy with 25yrs of product development experience in consumer products, so I'm always curious about products. It is great that Redwood was open for me to check out what they are working on. I am extremely happy with my MPP purchase a year ago, so I don't have to make a decision between the two now. The Tesla market is growing and there is plenty of opportunity for the business that provides a great product, value, and service to customers.

Reactions: dfwatt
Beastmode - Any difference in noise levels between the two (and or vs. stock) - particularly on impacts or even mildly rough surfaces? There is a close correlation between noise, vibration and harshness...hence the whole NVH thing.
Thanks!
Both MPP/KW and Redwood/Ohlins are at about the same level of NVH when new. Both will transmit about the same of more noise/vibration than stock due to the higher stiffness of the parts and less dampening on a couple of the mounting points. If you are worried about NVH, stay with stock.

Today is the day!
On the test route, there is an off-camber left turn with a bump in mid-corner. My car felt planted going over and the bump and through the entire turn. While Redwood's test mule got a little unsettled by the bump. Redwood said this could be addressed with damping adjustment. I don’t have a doubt since Ohlins competes at all levels of Motorsports. Likewise with KW.
/QUOTE]

Thanks for relaying your experience to the group! In regards to "damping adjustment," do you mean the Ohlin's one click compression/rebound adjustment or internal valving Redwood would need to do?

I work next door to Redwood and have the 3rd white model 3 in the earlier pic that beastmode13 posted. I've been on site everyday watching them work tirelessly on going through the R & D of the kit. Please keep in mind that this kit is completely built ground up and has actually evolved, much like our OTA's, since they first published the product online. It has additional "freebies" for the early adopters as the launch pricing was already set. These details, albeit minor, will create a much more comprehensive product in the end. I was very pleased to hear that Redwood is just absorbing the cost of these components for the early adopters. I have seen every phase of this product and the amount of hardwork that has gone into it. I can't even count the number of times suspension components have been removed and replaced on their test mule. I believe the performance kits will begin shipping very very soon. I don't want to put my foot in my mouth but I do know that things are gonna start happening next week. If all goes according to plan I'll also have a set installed on my car at which point I'll work on my own setup for the car which beastmode13 and I will likely work on publishing together. That will make for some cool information in that he's on MPP and I'll be on Ohlins. I snapped some pics while there and hopefully this will show you that inventory has ramped and just waiting for assembly. Now for the eye candy. I hope RW doesn't mind me posting these pics. lol. Some of the dampers shown here are not for the Model 3 but serve as great eye candy. I love their custom spanner wrench which also serves as a bottle opener in case you need a cool brew while you're installing your stuff.

Attachments

• 89341924_1048750618834288_4562733797958746112_n.jpg
    89341924_1048750618834288_4562733797958746112_n.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 89506309_225622851925561_5323504284266921984_n.jpg
    89506309_225622851925561_5323504284266921984_n.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 89508225_516914599027356_1157340995889659904_n.jpg
    89508225_516914599027356_1157340995889659904_n.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 153
  • 89659153_241889550181676_4970250164838072320_n.jpg
    89659153_241889550181676_4970250164838072320_n.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 127
  • Informative
Reactions: dsgerbc

They were referring to just adjusting the clickers, not changing the valving internally. Initially the dampers were set 2/3 towards the stiff end so 10 clicks down from full stiff or 20 clicks up from full soft. We test drove those settings and then came back to the shop at which point we asked them to drop it down to the other end of the spectrum which was 20 clicks down from full stiff, or 10 clicks up from full soft. We then test drove it again and noticed a dramatic difference just from exiting their driveway and getting on pavement. Literally within a second beastmode13 and I looked at each other and said, "Wow!!!" The change was noticeable at even 2mph. Due to lack of available time for the two of us we couldn't play with the damping biases from front to rear to arrive at a recommended performance damper settings for the street. This was a real quick test of the damping range and their overall sensation. The car was also setup with a track alignment with over -3.0 degs of camber up front and around the -2.5 range in the rear. Not to mention running RE71R 265/35/19 tires. For any of you using a normal street radial like the PS4S will see an even greater improvement in ride quality. I'm currently running some Falken 510's 265/35/19 because I got a killer deal on them and once the suspension is installed we will have a more accurate baseline for a street DD setup on "normal" street radials. I think the performance damper is plenty comfortable for me. I do not want a cadillac ride and as long as the suspension is compliant with great feedback I'm all set.

They were referring to just adjusting the clickers, not changing the valving internally. Initially the dampers were set 2/3 towards the stiff end so 10 clicks down from full stiff or 20 clicks up from full soft. We test drove those settings and then came back to the shop at which point we asked them to drop it down to the other end of the spectrum which was 20 clicks down from full stiff, or 10 clicks up from full soft. We then test drove it again and noticed a dramatic difference just from exiting their driveway and getting on pavement. Literally within a second beastmode13 and I looked at each other and said, "Wow!!!" The change was noticeable at even 2mph. Due to lack of available time for the two of us we couldn't play with the damping biases from front to rear to arrive at a recommended performance damper settings for the street. This was a real quick test of the damping range and their overall sensation. The car was also setup with a track alignment with over -3.0 degs of camber up front and around the -2.5 range in the rear. Not to mention running RE71R 265/35/19 tires. For any of you using a normal street radial like the PS4S will see an even greater improvement in ride quality. I'm currently running some Falken 510's 265/35/19 because I got a killer deal on them and once the suspension is installed we will have a more accurate baseline for a street DD setup on "normal" street radials. I think the performance damper is plenty comfortable for me. I do not want a cadillac ride and as long as the suspension is compliant with great feedback I'm all set.

Ok, that makes sense. Thank you for the clarification and additional experience of the test. And I'm looking forward to reading the comparisons to beastmode's setup in the coming weeks.

Thank you to everyone for your patience in waiting for kits to ship. While we have 99% of everything we need to begin shipping (and we are most of the way through the assembly for the first batch of Performance kits! However, due to slowdowns in manufacturing and shipping due to the coronavirus in the US and abroad, we are WAY behind schedule. We have everything here for the first batch, minus some rubber spring isolators, and our custom packaging.

We'd love to ship everything in the finalized packaging, however, if that remains delayed and the rubber spring isolators arrive this week, we will ship in standard brown boxes versus holding up deliveries.

As the Covid19 virus has caused local governments to halt all non-essential operations in the SF Bay Area with a Shelter In Place mandate, we will do our best to continue to operate, but will be slower than we normally would be. We will be running on reduced staff and are asking customers without an appointment to please refrain from coming to the shop until this has subsided.

All customers with appointments for installs are being asked to adhere to our new drop-off and pick-up policies:
  • Our waiting room is closed until further notice
  • We are asking all customers to drop off and pick up outside our shop doors
  • We will be wiping down key cards, steering wheels, and door handles on intake, and again before delivery after work is performed.
We are doing our best to keep the doors open while maintaining strict protocols to protect both our staff and customers. If you have an appointment scheduled and need to cancel, please call or text at 510-402-6222.

Thank you to everyone for your patience through this uncertain time.

-Redwood Motorsports

Reactions: dsgerbc
Has anyone installed yet?

Yes, Just pick up my car from the redwood's shop in Fremont this evening. Drove it in the rain on the way home already notice the car are stiffer compared to stock(i have my setting at 10 out of 30click), it gives me a lot more corner confidence compare to the stock set up so far; More testing will follow after the lockdown is over and have track day planned at beginning of April will update than.
s6Hp362.jpg
bV9Hlvw.jpg
C9xJZ7s.jpg
6xjS0sz.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, Just pick up my car from the redwood's shop in Fremont this evening. Drove it in the rain on the way home already notice the car are stiffer compared to stock(i have my setting at 10 out of 30click), it gives me a lot more corner confidence compare to the stock set up so far; More testing will follow after the lockdown is over and have track day planned at beginning of April will update than.

Thanks for the update, looking forward to hear more about the street comfort. When you say stiffer than stock what do you mean exactly?

Has anyone installed yet?

Yes, Just pick up my car from the redwood's shop in Fremont this evening. Drove it in rain on the way home already notice the rebound and roll, it gives me a lot more corner confidence compare to stock set up, more testing will follow after the lockdown is over.
Thanks for the update, looking forward to hear more about the street comfort. When you say stiffer than stock what do you mean exactly?

It's hard to define Stiff and Soft since everyone has a different experience and they can adjust the coil over to how their liking, but here is a definitional I found online "A softer suspension will offer more mechanical grip as it will do a better job of keeping the tires on the ground vs a stiff suspension when it comes to depressions, bumps, and surface irregularities in the road."

soruce:Soft Vs Stiff Springs - Explained | Engineering Explained

So far the car has less squat when doing hard acceleration and less body roll, but again I'm not a professional in this field and this is just my personal experience