Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 100 kWh battery and Ludicrous Mode [speculation about future developments]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dude, you keep trying to chase the latest. I’ll save you the trouble: no matter what you buy something else is coming out better.

So save yourself time and money and preorder a cyber truck. That will give you two years to chase the rabbit for only $100, and in another forum...

You can go buy an S right now with ludicrous mode. You went from buying a base 3, to a performance, to $75k nonexistent model in days, lol.

You should cancel your order. I heard a rumor Ford has 1,000 mile range, 1.5 second 0-60 car coming out “soon” #windowshopper.

Lol

I would kill for the 100Kwh pack. Will trade in my AWD immediately. I realize range isn’t a big deal to people in areas with good SC coverage, but it would make a big difference in the rural west. For me, it would open up 3 common destinations that are only viable with significant lengthy detours with current range. The Alamosa and Kayenta SCs have been “coming soon” since 2016, and a couple others like Bernalillo and Durango aren’t planned at all. Range boost would help a ton.

Reactions: lnsh and Big Earl
Did you buy the car for its performance or because it was X amount faster than the lesser model? I don't think Performance owners have gotten screwed at all. They're faster today than they were when they were first delivered back in 2018... at no additional charge.
Well, yes performance means faster. All cars got faster - no diff. AWD gets a 2k boost option theres a diff. All cars are the same at the higher end - no diff. I see no diff for the P3.

That's gonna be added mass from the battery. And volume, too. So you're carrying around extra weight that you might not use.

The added weight / volume depends on if Tesla is planning on integrating newer battery technology that has a higher energy density - I'd wager their is a high probability of this and we could maybe see this sometime in late 2020. If they're able to squeeze 100 kWh in the same space as the current 75 kWh then that would be fantastic news. I expect that their acquisition of Maxwell technologies is surely going to bear fruit for their next gen battery and they will likely be showing them off this coming year in one of Elon's mentioned 'technology announcements' expected. Maxwell already did a research paper which stated higher energy density cell designs with improved power capability.

Last edited:
The current Model 3 works great for most people and as others have mentioned, an even longer range option will likely carry a price premium so existing car’s value won’t be affected much. 5 year old Model S are holding their value better that 5 year old Mercedes S class.

I personally would love our Tesla’s to have 400 mile rated ranges. Then I could depend on getting them to Tahoe without stopping or depend on going 250 miles while used in anger (doing 80 mph with bikes on the hitch rack, or packing down some snow). It would remove the last vestiges of range anxiety and allow me to eat when I’m hungry, not the car - to paraphrase another poster’s wife in another thread.

The current Model 3 works great for most people and as others have mentioned, an even longer range option will likely carry a price premium so existing car’s value won’t be affected much. 5 year old Model S are holding their value better that 5 year old Mercedes S class.

I personally would love our Tesla’s to have 400 mile rated ranges. Then I could depend on getting them to Tahoe without stopping or depend on going 250 miles while used in anger (doing 80 mph with bikes on the hitch rack, or packing down some snow). It would remove the last vestiges of range anxiety and allow me to eat when I’m hungry, not the car - to paraphrase another poster’s wife in another thread.

You and I are in the same area and we have a cabin in Tahoe. I think of all the places we would typically go (San Francisco, Napa, Santa Cruz, etc.) the car will handle all of that, but for Tahoe it is showing we would need to stop in Rocklin for a SC. 400 miles surely would allow us to expand even further/address range anxiety for that Tahoe trip.

Reactions: DanCar
This is exactly why I didn't want to order my Performance 3. Literally ordered it yesterday and this article comes out. If this were to happen, it would immediately kill the value of the car.

Tesla leaks code hinting at Model 3 100 kWh battery pack, Ludicrous mode, and more - Electrek
There will always come a faster, better (in the eyes of some) car.

Ask Porsche 911 owners.

One either decides to be happy with what one owns, or one decides to go "all-in" and buy the newest, fastest version...again and again. There is no middle ground.

Highly doubt they would offer owners to swap from 75 kWh to 100 kWh. That would be a significant cost.

What is going to happen though, is the 75 kWh Model 3 automatically becomes obsolete. For those who bought in Q4'2019, if this comes out in say Q1'2020, they are going to be pissed. I am debating on cancelling my order and just waiting...I'd gladly pay another $5-$10K for another 100 miles of range + ludicrous
Just so everybody knows, this kind of upgrading/changing/"obsoleting" has been going since my first 2012 Signature S85! Get used to it, and thankfuly the 2012 is still a fabulous car and turns heads whenever people see it!

• Love
Reactions: Gasaraki and MXWing
Highly doubt they would offer owners to swap from 75 kWh to 100 kWh. That would be a significant cost.

What is going to happen though, is the 75 kWh Model 3 automatically becomes obsolete. For those who bought in Q4'2019, if this comes out in say Q1'2020, they are going to be pissed. I am debating on cancelling my order and just waiting...I'd gladly pay another $5-$10K for another 100 miles of range + ludicrous
Yeah, obsolete like those P85D...<rolls eyes>

• Love
Reactions: ZappCatt