Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Backup Camera Sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After driving it a bit today, they didn't de-fish the image as much as I thought when looking at my sloped driveway. It's still pretty distorted. Not sure why it has to be that wide angle for the rear view. I don't think I'd ever use it as a driving aid like I do the camera on the Models S and X.

I agree..I can read license plate numbers (even though they are backwards on the X)...can't do that on the 3.

Hello My fellow M3 owners,

I picked up my M3 the past weekend. I've noticed that the image quality of the backup camera has some issues:
1). The bright road surface areas are washed out completely.
2). The corners of the images are really fuzzy and uneven. The upper left corner is worse than the upper right corners. Both corners are more blurry than the center.
image2.jpeg

3). There is a color artifact ("Moire Fringes") near the center creating a distraction.
image1 (2).jpeg

image2 (2).jpeg

I wonder if these problems I've seen are unique to my car. Have you seen any of these specific issues with your M3 ?
With the exception of the camera image quality, I'm very pleased with the car so far. It drives like a sports sedan with an elegant interior and a quite innovative air flow control system.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    730.7 KB · Views: 51
After a few days with our new Model 3, my wife raves about how much she likes the rear camera. I’m not sure if it is personal preference or if there is a fair amount of deviation from one car to the next. To me it is slightly brighter than the camera on our Model S. I can’t see as one is significantly better than the other, just different. It certainly doesn’t suck.

I picked up my M3 the past weekend. I've noticed that the image quality of the backup camera has some issues:
2). The corners of the images are really fuzzy and uneven. The upper left corner is worse than the upper right corners. Both corners are more blurry than the center.
View attachment 278325
3). There is a color artifact ("Moire Fringes") near the center creating a distraction.
View attachment 278326
View attachment 278329

I wonder if these problems I've seen are unique to my car. Have you seen any of these specific issues with your M3 ?
With the exception of the camera image quality, I'm very pleased with the car so far. It drives like a sports sedan with an elegant interior and a quite innovative air flow control system.
I don’t see any backup lines so I assume you just selected the rear camera. Is the picture quality the same if you shift into reverse? Does anyone know if the algorithm is different when you are actually backing up vs just looking back?

The images were taken when I click on the camera icon, not when I'm backing up. I like to use the camera during regular driving. It functions as a larger rear view mirror so I can see what's behind me. The standard rear view mirror is small and hard to see everything behind the car.

Tonight when I was coming home, I noticed another issue. The headlights from the car behind me are creating two large flares. This is probably caused by some dirt inside the camera.
image2.jpeg

• Disagree
Reactions: juanmedina

It's trying to have exposure such that it still show some detail on the wall of your garage. If it exposes for the ground only, then the wall will be dark. Does the same thing still happen when you back all the way out?

Corners being more blurry than the center is true of all lenses, especially so for fisheye lenses (they tend to have more field curvature, meaning the focus plane is not flat; and also when it's distortion corrected in software there are less pixels in the corners).

One side being worse than other is sometimes caused by a decentered lens, but many times it's an error in testing (items on both sides not being on the same focal plane). Other than a lens chart, a brick wall test or a bookshelf test can be used for testing (camera must be absolutely parallel to wall for a proper test).

View attachment 278325
View attachment 278326
View attachment 278329
You may want to make sure it's not moire from your own camera taking pictures of your screen (do you see same pattern when looking with your naked eye?). I see moire throughout your whole image.

Do note there was an update to address the camera, you may want to make sure you have that update first to see if it addresses your concerns.

It's trying to have exposure such that it still show some detail on the wall of your garage. If it exposes for the ground only, then the wall will be dark. Does the same thing still happen when you back all the way out?

Corners being more blurry than the center is true of all lenses, especially so for fisheye lenses (they tend to have more field curvature, meaning the focus plane is not flat; and also when it's distortion corrected in software there are less pixels in the corners).

One side being worse than other is sometimes caused by a decentered lens, but many times it's an error in testing (items on both sides not being on the same focal plane). Other than a lens chart, a brick wall test or a bookshelf test can be used for testing (camera must be absolutely parallel to wall for a proper test).

You may want to make sure it's not moire from your own camera taking pictures of your screen (do you see same pattern when looking with your naked eye?). I see moire throughout your whole image.

Do note there was an update to address the camera, you may want to make sure you have that update first to see if it addresses your concerns.

The dominate “+” shaped Moire is on the M3 screen, not an artifact caused by the iPhone camera. This was very obvious when I first drove the car. The edge blur can be caused by the lens field curvature or/and lens sensor alignment. The one corner blur is probably caused by an poorly made lens or tilt between the lens and sensor. It is always blurry on the upper left side regardless of the object distance. I suspect that the CMOS sensor in the camera is not a HDR type thus cannot capture both dark and bright areas at the same time. The sensor in the MX seems to be a HDR type which handles the contrasty scene well. The lens flare is coming from some kind of scattering in the optical path inside the camera. A scratch or debris will easily cause this.

These problems are all hardware related. I am not sure how a software update can fix them. Tomorrow I will try the same thing in the backup mode. But why would it be different?