Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Backup Camera Sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me, all the rear cam photos in this thread seem much better than my S, and that is after the original even-more-blurry factory camera was replaced. This recent Electrek review (The Electrek Review – Tesla Model 3, a promise delivered) claims the following:

“The touchscreen makes it very easy to activate the rearview camera while driving, and I believe this design choice was intentional by Tesla as a workaround to the poor rear visibility. But the backup camera is a little too fisheyed, and a little too low-quality, especially at night, to make up for it. And the auto-dimming rearview mirrors get maybe just a tad bit too dark. So, rear visibility is pretty bad – ironic, for a car which is so far ahead of everything else.”

So is it true you can now view the rear camera while driving on the Model 3?

After living with the model 3 backup camera for a couple weeks now, I've gotten used to it. The fisheye I acclimated to quickly. The higher contrast looks awful in some lighting, but might actually be clearer than the S camera in the overcast rainy conditions we've been having lately, which in my S sometimes created some pretty blurry images. If this is your first Tesla you'll wonder why anyone complained.

Reactions: MP3Mike
After living with the model 3 backup camera for a couple weeks now, I've gotten used to it. The fisheye I acclimated to quickly. The higher contrast looks awful in some lighting, but might actually be clearer than the S camera in the overcast rainy conditions we've been having lately, which in my S sometimes created some pretty blurry images. If this is your first Tesla you'll wonder why anyone complained.

I wonder if cameras are not consistent across different year/models. My Model S camera is pretty great. The Model 3 is "less great".

After reading all 148 posts.

My thoughts are the following:

Camera is jittery and lags. As I see something move outside behind me, the same movement is occuring after I look at screen. A delay that is noticeable and not acceptable from a safety perspective. I need to know where the car is at that moment or as darn close to it as possible. Not 1/2 second later.

Camera struggles in low light and washes out often in changing light conditions. Like a 1.2 MegaPixel Canon Elph

I back car into garage with window down head looking out. Don't trust it. Hitting one Tesla is now like hitting two.

Fisheye does not bother me.

Not too familiar with costs of these parts. Are they substantially in different now in terms of price? Compared to back in the earlier S days?

Like the difference between a Honda Pilot backup camera vs. Acura MDX. This years model. Not someones 1996 Acura TL etc...

If the cost difference is not great, and this is not a autopilot future or something...Well it needs to be better. Not cameragate.

Got the update...camera is a little better...got scheduled charging...but they killed the USB mouse support (like they did with the X). Got santa mode as well and phone key works better.
After driving it a bit today, they didn't de-fish the image as much as I thought when looking at my sloped driveway. It's still pretty distorted. Not sure why it has to be that wide angle for the rear view. I don't think I'd ever use it as a driving aid like I do the camera on the Models S and X.