Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Backup Camera Sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seriously don't understand these comments. The camera is not fantastic, but it's very much above "worst" or "terrible". The fisheye can totally be adjusted via software in the future and, in fact, i actually have come to enjoy it because you can see all the way into your blind spots on the sides if you use it when driving.

For me, it's not so much the fisheye effect... it is bad because the image is dark, grainy and lacks definition. If I do use it as a 'rear view' while driving at night; all I really see is blaring white headlight orbs vs. vehicles.

Hopefully it's software not sensor...

Reactions: White and DaveT
I seriously don't understand these comments. The camera is not fantastic, but it's very much above "worst" or "terrible". The fisheye can totally be adjusted via software in the future and, in fact, i actually have come to enjoy it because you can see all the way into your blind spots on the sides if you use it when driving.

I disagree. Maybe something is wrong with my camera but it is pretty much unusable in anything other than super bright sunny days.

The fisheye effect could be largely fixed with post-processing, also looks like the exposure is off if it's always dark like that; which can also be fixed with software.
Yeah, missed this thread, but both can be compensated for in software. The only tricky part is the exposure. The AP software may prefer the current exposure and that would limit the options a bit (can still do a software based exposure adjustment, but not a true adjustment in hardware like iris and shutter speed).

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
My backup camera froze as if I paused the video feed for about 4 seconds today in a parking lot.

A guy was walking past my car in a parking lot and the screen froze as if the person stopped walking right behind my car, but looking in the rear-view mirror he was long past my car and down the aisle. One second there's a guy still framed, and then poof, he's gone.

• Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte and Pluto
Here is another data point. Rainy day here in California. Backing up at night after rain looks like this.

Sure makes it hard to see.

E1227B1B-AE1B-4C9A-A10D-C0A912070456.jpeg

Has anyone with this complaint on their Model 3 actually talked to Tesla about it? Or were you thinking that complaining on the forum here would magically get Tesla's attention?

If someone has talked to Tesla, what did they say?

Has anyone with this complaint on their Model 3 actually talked to Tesla about it? Or were you thinking that complaining on the forum here would magically get Tesla's attention?

If someone has talked to Tesla, what did they say?

I talked to a service guy at Sunnyvale service center and was told by a tech who owns one... "yeah mine sucks too".

Reactions: aaron0k
My backup camera froze as if I paused the video feed for about 4 seconds today in a parking lot.

A guy was walking past my car in a parking lot and the screen froze as if the person stopped walking right behind my car, but looking in the rear-view mirror he was long past my car and down the aisle. One second there's a guy still framed, and then poof, he's gone.

That sounds dangerous. Imagine if the camera had frozen with a clear view but there was actually someone walking behind...

• Love
Reactions: BigD0g
Some kind of hydrophobic coating would probably help with the water droplets. I wonder if there's any kind of permanently hydrophobic lens they could use instead of the existing one...

As for the fish-eye, I'm sure a combination of fish-eye removal process along with cropping out the useless corners of the housing would do wonders, though you may end up with a letterboxed looking video since it's likely the resultant aspect ratio after correcting for fish eye won't be the same, if you're not throwing away useful visual information.