Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Breakdowns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll have to keep an eye out from now on. Just local drive. Sure I'll gun it at least 1 or 2 times. Sorry make that 3 or 4 time (can't help it). ~ 7 miles one way. I am also seeing some phantom or vampire drain over night. I think I am losing 6 miles just parked over night. This is my 5th days owning it. I'll have to pay close attention. Just want to get a feel from the rest of this community on WH/miles.

Alternatively he's running the A/C like he's Mr. Freeze. ;) Kinda depends on how much FL is in the mix on their location.

This car is in MI all year. 70/30 highway to city. Left lane baby. Was pretty cold here, but now it's warm. I really don't look at efficiency much as I used to on the S.

Will be taking the 3 out to ID/WY/MT this fall. Dreamcase all the way.

S in FL in September-March.

Reactions: mongo
I'll have to keep an eye out from now on. Just local drive. Sure I'll gun it at least 1 or 2 times. Sorry make that 3 or 4 time (can't help it). ~ 7 miles one way. I am also seeing some phantom or vampire drain over night. I think I am losing 6 miles just parked over night. This is my 5th days owning it. I'll have to pay close attention. Just want to get a feel from the rest of this community on WH/miles.
Phantom drain is normal. I lose about 1% a day.

Phantom drain is normal. I lose about 1% a day.

Thanks everyone for your input. I only had it for 5 days. Also I saw the message about passenger air bag is disable on the screen. First time doing the reboot. Reset my trip and for a short quick drive less than 1 miles, I saw the wh mile jump over 500 wh mi and bounce down to 400 ish. When I stopped, it was showing 301 wh mil. Yes AC was on. I guess short drive and reboot needing adjustment? I just install my black vue dashcam and I am worry if I mess up the passenger side curtain air bag. Anyone seeing the "passenger air bag disable message"? After the reboot that message went away.

upload_2018-7-10_15-34-15.png

almost gave me a heart attack when I saw over 524.

• Funny
Reactions: mekberg
Thanks everyone for your input. I only had it for 5 days. Also I saw the message about passenger air bag is disable on the screen. First time doing the reboot. Reset my trip and for a short quick drive less than 1 miles, I saw the wh mile jump over 500 wh mi and bounce down to 400 ish. When I stopped, it was showing 301 wh mil. Yes AC was on. I guess short drive and reboot needing adjustment? I just install my black vue dashcam and I am worry if I mess up the passenger side curtain air bag. Anyone seeing the "passenger air bag disable message"? After the reboot that message went away.
Passenger air bag disable is normal. I have that message unless someone is sitting in the seat.

For now, all they’re telling me is DRIVE UNIT FAILURE. I see that Model S had same issues early on.

Sorry to see this.
Yes, drive unit failure is correct. I had mine fail around 300 miles, but I have been fine ever since and I now have 6.5k miles in less than 4 months. It sucks, but it can happen.
I asked Tesla for feedback about why and they put a ticket in but I never heard anything. Not a big deal, I’m an electrical engineer and built an electric car so I was really curious as to why.
Anyways, they’ll replace the drive unit and the fuse. The fuse is a smart fuse and can be blown by the computer if an overcurrent event is detected that could have been what happened or not, but apparently this is what happened to my car.
The car can lose power bc the high voltage battery charges the lead acid 12v battery that runs the systems in the car and if it cannot charge the 12v battery then the car could die.

Edit: I also have a low VIN, im 096xx

Last edited:
Sorry to see this.
Yes, drive unit failure is correct. I had mine fail around 300 miles, but I have been fine ever since and I now have 6.5k miles in less than 4 months. It sucks, but it can happen.
I asked Tesla for feedback about why and they put a ticket in but I never heard anything. Not a big deal, I’m an electrical engineer and built an electric car so I was really curious as to why.
Anyways, they’ll replace the drive unit and the fuse. The fuse is a smart fuse and can be blown by the computer if an overcurrent event is detected that could have been what happened or not, but apparently this is what happened to my car.
The car can lose power bc the high voltage battery charges the lead acid 12v battery that runs the systems in the car and if it cannot charge the 12v battery then the car could die.

Edit: I also have a low VIN, im 096xx
SC called today to state car is ready. Fuse and drive unit replaced, front passenger pillar cleaned, rear peeling center console replaced. Passenger door panel on order. They will send someone out to replace panel when it comes in stock. Detailed car to address paint clear coat haze. I will be picking it up on Saturday and update on how well things were addressed.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman and UZJedi
SC called today to state car is ready. Fuse and drive unit replaced, front passenger pillar cleaned, rear peeling center console replaced. Passenger door panel on order. They will send someone out to replace panel when it comes in stock. Detailed car to address paint clear coat haze. I will be picking it up on Saturday and update on how well things were addressed.
I got some scary notifications about my car being unable to charge and power being reduced just 6 days after taking delivery. Turned out it had a bad battery and needed replacement. First Model 3 battery swap in the Seattle area. Had a loaner for over two weeks, but everything has been fine since I got the car back. Got two free annual service center checkups for my trouble.

I hope your issues end when you get your car back.