Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 "Broken Into"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you check the app after you walk away it will show you whether the car is locked or unlocked.

True, but that's kind of annoying to do every single time. My Model 3 does lock every time I walk away (as far as I know). But it should work every single time for everyone. There shouldn't be a need for any of us to double check that the car is indeed locked.

If you check the app after you walk away it will show you whether the car is locked or unlocked.
your absolutely correct. However this is a pain in the ass. I don't want to have to pull my phone out of my pocket, unlock the phone, load up the app (and wait for the car to wake up in some instances), just to see if my car is locked.

Would be MUCH better to just have the car give a quick "beep", and be done with it.

Good news is that this is a very easy thing for Tesla to add in a future software update!

True, but that's kind of annoying to do every single time. My Model 3 does lock every time I walk away (as far as I know). But it should work every single time for everyone. There shouldn't be a need for any of us to double check that the car is indeed locked.

Every case of this issue that I've read has been the same conclusion, phone key didn't work and they unlocked with the card which means the card is required to re-lock.

Phone Key issues aside, that means it is working as intended.

That said, I agree that some enhancements could be made (like the audible beep when locked) to make the experience better. And of course there are still a ton of people struggling with phone key, which needs to be fixed. But these cars being 'mysteriously' left unlocked is not a widespread issue, it's working as it was designed when using the keycard.

This would really drive me bonkers.

On my Model S I turned off the auto locking/unlocking. I did so partly because I didn't want the car to unlock/lock constantly every time I walked by it in the garage.

I also did so because I like to KNOW it's locked.

But, when/if I get a Model 3 I won't be able to. It's not like I'm going to constantly whip out the phone to lock/unlock it.

Reactions: N5329K
This would really drive me bonkers.

On my Model S I turned off the auto locking/unlocking. I did so partly because I didn't want the car to unlock/lock constantly every time I walked by it in the garage.

I also did so because I like to KNOW it's locked.

But, when/if I get a Model 3 I won't be able to. It's not like I'm going to constantly whip out the phone to lock/unlock it.
That's not how the 3 works. You don't need to take your phone out of your pocket. Additionally the 3 doesn't unlock until you engage the car door handle.

• Informative
Reactions: Troy916 and emorog
That's not how the 3 works. You don't need to take your phone out of your pocket. Additionally the 3 doesn't unlock until you engage the car door handle.

Clarification - I meant that I would have to take my phone out of my pocket to manually lock/unlock. If it has the option for turning off the autolock/unlock.

That is good news that it doesn't unlock until I engage the door handle. That prevents it from having the same issue as the S when walking by it.

if you unlock the car with the key card, it has to be re-locked with the card.

Seriously though. If you unlock the car with the keycard it cannot use the walk away lock feature.

hmm are you sure? I just tested this. Put my phone in airplane mode and left it on my desk. Walked into the garage where I found a locked Model 3. I tap the card to unlock it. I sit down. I get back out and shut the door. I walk away. Car locked by itself.

hmm are you sure? I just tested this. Put my phone in airplane mode and left it on my desk. Walked into the garage where I found a locked Model 3. I tap the card to unlock it. I sit down. I get back out and shut the door. I walk away. Car locked by itself.

I just did the same experiment and my Model 3 does not automatically lock if I use the key card to unlock it. It's still unlocked in my garage after unlocking it 30 minutes ago with the key card. If yours is auto-locking after using the key card, it's not working as intended. Do you have a second phone configured as a key (spouse's phone?) that got within BLE distance of the car while testing it out?

Capture3.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: UZJedi
Seriously though. If you unlock the car with the keycard it cannot use the walk away lock feature.

There's definitely something more to it than that, otherwise once it was unlocked with the card-key, it would never re-lock until it had been card-locked.

I don't have consistent access to a 3 to test, but I believe once it sees a phone-key (even if the phone key didn't have to "unlock" it) then walk-away lock is re-enabled.

Example use case: Valet brings car back, having unlocked it with card. You get in and drive home. Having unlocked with card-key, it would not now re-lock -- except (hypothesis) now that it has connected with your phone-key, walk-away is re-enabled.

There's definitely something more to it than that, otherwise once it was unlocked with the card-key, it would never re-lock until it had been card-locked.

I don't have consistent access to a 3 to test, but I believe once it sees a phone-key (even if the phone key didn't have to "unlock" it) then walk-away lock is re-enabled.

Example use case: Valet brings car back, having unlocked it with card. You get in and drive home. Having unlocked with card-key, it would not now re-lock -- except (hypothesis) now that it has connected with your phone-key, walk-away is re-enabled.
I can confirm that even if you use the card to unlock, once your phone is close enough to the car I'll take over and will auto lock if you walk away.

Sure, but the reason you needed to use the key card was that your phone key didn’t autoconnect properly to do the unlock in the first place. It still hasn’t connected over the course of the drive, and it’s not connected when you walk away. Thus, no autolock.

I had to put 'broken into" in quotes because it was as simple as them just opening the door and stealing what was inside because the door was unlocked despite me having auto locking turned on.

Why didn't the car autolock like it was supposed to? I have an Android and it obviously still does not work like it should with this vechile.
Tesla designed an unpredictable, semi-reliable means of locking, unlocking and "starting" Model 3. Until they design a predictable, reliable means of doing all these things, the responsibility is yours to make up the difference by whatever means seems to work (for the moment). This is a flaw EM acknowledged and said he would fix, and one that must be fixed before really big numbers of cars enter the fleet.
Robin