Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 cabin/windscreen fogging with AC and recirculation...Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2021 Model 3 fogs up every time I have the AC on and the vents closed( recirculation on) if its under about 5C outside. Im in Norway so this time of year it's often under 5C. This is a real issue driving through tunnels when I don't want polluted or smelly air coning into the cabin. Ive never had this problem with any car before. Its also an issue in the spring when driving through the country side. farmers spray manure on all the feilds in spring here and it stinks to high heven. Cant turn the recirculation on fast enough...but of course all the windows fog up completely within 30 seconds. It's a safety hazard.

Is this normal for the model 3? anyone else had/have this issue?

I think it's usual on all cars, pretty much. By using recirculation you're keeping your humid air inside. Since the car's probably at the target temperature, there's not much heating nor cooling that's happening (which might condense some of that humidity and remove it from the air). Taking exterior air that's cold means it must be heated. By heating the air, you leave more room for humidity so the relative humidity percentage gets lower.

Ive never had this problem with any car before. usually you turn the AC on and if that isn't enough then adjust the temperature and it clears up the condensation. But in this car the entire windscreen (and every other window) fogs up entirely so its literally dangerous within like 30 seconds. I suspect maybe the AC isn't working properly. But since it didn't get very warm here this summer its difficult to know. Well ok, we got some warm days but I was on the motorbike then ;)

So you're saying your Model 3 does this?

AC has always sufficed on every car ive had, even with the vents closed. We have a second car and have even tested it in the same tunnel at the same time. no fog with AC on and vents closed.

Precondition the car before you gallop off out into the cold and clammy. You'll then have a cabin full of warm, dry air to play with!
That doesn't help. I can blast all the hot air in the world at the windscreen but when its under about 4-7C It suddenly fogs up within about 30 seconds of turning the recirculation on when I drive into tunnel. This issue is equally as prevalent when not in tunnels, but tunnels are when I /try to) use the recirculation the most due to polluted air. My old Peugeot 206GTi and Mazda 626 as well as out Golf defog the windscreen if the AC was/is turned on when recirculation is also on (vents closed).

When it was new my car had some type of oily residue on the inside of the windshield and side windows. It was only noticeable when the window fogged up. I didn't even realize it was there until it fogged up. I used a microfiber towel to scrub it clean and it fixed the problem 100%

My 2021 Model 3 fogs up every time I have the AC on and the vents closed( recirculation on) if its under about 5C outside. Im in Norway so this time of year it's often under 5C. This is a real issue driving through tunnels when I don't want polluted or smelly air coning into the cabin. Ive never had this problem with any car before. Its also an issue in the spring when driving through the country side. farmers spray manure on all the feilds in spring here and it stinks to high heven. Cant turn the recirculation on fast enough...but of course all the windows fog up completely within 30 seconds. It's a safety hazard.

Is this normal for the model 3? anyone else had/have this issue?
Use the front defogger or use auto