Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Canada - Confirmed Orders Only thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, what I can infer from this is, even with one month difference in configuration dates(22nd March; 18th April), VIN assignments will happen in batches (all at once).
Today is the day that I placed my order 4 weeks ago, I decided to give Tesla (888 518 3752) a call to find out when our Ontarians can get the VIN# for our vehicles. Over the conversions that I understand that

1) Tesla is understand that the situation we are in, which is June Ontario election that we may lose the $14000 incentive.
2) Because of that they will try all means to get the car to us before June. However, he cannot guarantee it.
3) As far as he understand it, if no VIN# being issued, it means the car either not being built or it is not in transportation to Canada yet.
4) My order still on track to meet the 4 - 8 weeks delivery window again he cannot guarantee it.

Today is the day that I placed my order 4 weeks ago, I decided to give Tesla (888 518 3752) a call to find out when our Ontarians can get the VIN# for our vehicles. Over the conversions that I understand that

1) Tesla is understand that the situation we are in, which is June Ontario election that we may lose the $14000 incentive.
2) Because of that they will try all means to get the car to us before June. However, he cannot guarantee it.
3) As far as he understand it, if no VIN# being issued, it means the car either not being built or it is not in transportation to Canada yet.
4) My order still on track to meet the 4 - 8 weeks delivery window again he cannot guarantee it.

I hope they're on track for deliveries, but I'm growing increasingly pessimistic. The first configs here were nearly five weeks ago, so they've got just barely over three weeks to assign a VIN and arrange delivery. If we look at the spreadsheet, most states have been in the ballpark of 2-3 weeks (average) from VIN to delivery in the last three weeks. I'm not expecting them to improve on that timeline for a different country, so if we don't start seeing Canadian VINs assigned in the next week it's probably not a great sign.

I hope they're on track for deliveries, but I'm growing increasingly pessimistic. The first configs here were nearly five weeks ago, so they've got just barely over three weeks to assign a VIN and arrange delivery. If we look at the spreadsheet, most states have been in the ballpark of 2-3 weeks (average) from VIN to delivery in the last three weeks. I'm not expecting them to improve on that timeline for a different country, so if we don't start seeing Canadian VINs assigned in the next week it's probably not a great sign.
Agreed

Today is 4 weeks since I ordered mine. Theoretically I am inside the brackets (4-8 weeks). I started behaving like a love struck teenager, checking my phone every fifteen minutes. But seriously, when I was ordering Tesla warns me that if I change my mind I will lose my deposit. What about Tesla not keeping their end of agreement by not delivering the car within the promised dates? Like lots of Ontario's residents I am concern about the oncoming election and what the new government will do about the rebate. The very promise of the rebate make me forego the all wheel drive option, that is nice to have in Ontario. I was hoping to get the car before the change of government. So now if we do not get the incentive will Tesla be picking up the difference?

Reactions: eepic
Today is 4 weeks since I ordered mine. Theoretically I am inside the brackets (4-8 weeks). I started behaving like a love struck teenager, checking my phone every fifteen minutes. But seriously, when I was ordering Tesla warns me that if I change my mind I will lose my deposit. What about Tesla not keeping their end of agreement by not delivering the car within the promised dates? Like lots of Ontario's residents I am concern about the oncoming election and what the new government will do about the rebate. The very promise of the rebate make me forego the all wheel drive option, that is nice to have in Ontario. I was hoping to get the car before the change of government. So now if we do not get the incentive will Tesla be picking up the difference?
I think if you order before June 7 they will honour it.

To ensure not as many cars are stuck in transit since they don't consider cars as "delivered" until it's in the costumer's hands. So usually they attempt to ship as many cars to Europe/Australia etc. at the beginning of the quarter to ensure deliver within the quarter.

Can we really compare California -> Europe/Australia to California -> BC vs California -> Ont.? I think you're mixing apples and oranges there. The vehicles are on a semi or rail for an extra day or so as opposed to being shipping by freight in containers over the ocean. Do they ship to New York before Seattle? That's a better comparison and I doubt it.

I am thinking that Ontario gets their Model 3s first (especially with the election coming up), then BC gets theirs in June.

That makes more sense to me. If you get your vehicles in Ontario before us in BC, I will chalk it up to the election in June -- and Tesla being worried they will lose a lot of orders without that rebate.

Anecdotally, you can see that some people in California configure in the last week or two of a quarter and get VINS assigned ASAP and delivered all within that short time frame.

The average looking at the chart is 2 to 3 weeks from VIN assignment to delivery. If people in Ontario expect to get their vehicles in May, before we get ours in June (as we're told but I've learned to be highly skeptical of Tesla's time estimates) you have about a week or so for your VIN assignment. That's certainly possible but I wouldn't bet on it. Only time will tell.

So now if we do not get the incentive will Tesla be picking up the difference?

Tesla told me in 2014 there were cancellations when our $5k EV rebate was refused to be further funded by the government. It was later brought back but with a threshold just under the base price of an S (likely due to lobbying). It was only $5k on more expensive vehicles and Tesla lost orders rather than reduce the price to make up for it.

The $1000 + $3200 = $4200 is now an ‘order payment’. Non refundable but we knew that going in when we hit ORDER.

Tesla gave us an approximate delivery range in weeks not a ‘will deliver by’ date. Even if they deliver prior to the election and we file the incentive paperwork the PC’s, if elected, could kill the program ‘as of today’. Tesla has zero liability for any potential incentive that is lost and frankly appears to be trying to do us a favour by moving CDN deliveries up to make it potentially possible to get an incentive.

Reactions: navguy12
The $1000 + $3200 = $4200 is now an ‘order payment’. Non refundable but we knew that going in when we hit ORDER.

What happened in 2014 is that Tesla factored our $5k rebate into the order agreement since Tesla collected it directly from the government on the sale of the vehicle -- there was no form to complete like they have now and that I recently sent back to Tesla with a copy of my driver's licence for my Model 3 order. So in 2014, when the government suddenly gave notice it would process no more rebates, Tesla contacted owners and gave them the choice of a full refund or pay an extra $5k. I was surprised to hear people cancelled orders but it was probably more of a point of principle issue and people probably bought Mercedes or BMWs instead. I feel sorry for them.

As to what will happen in Ontario if they cancel the rebate, I agree with your view not to count on getting your reservation and order deposits back if you're not prepared to buy it without the rebate. It's always best to err on the side of caution. You can get your reservation fee back but once you place your order, prepare to lose the full deposit if you back out after that.

Reactions: navguy12 and 03DSG
What happened in 2014 is that Tesla factored our $5k rebate into the order agreement since Tesla collected it directly from the government on the sale of the vehicle -- there was no form to complete like they have now and that I recently sent back to Tesla with a copy of my driver's licence for my Model 3 order. So in 2014, when the government suddenly gave notice it would process no more rebates, Tesla contacted owners and gave them the choice of a full refund or pay an extra $5k. I was surprised to hear people cancelled orders but it was probably more of a point of principle issue and people probably bought Mercedes or BMWs instead. I feel sorry for them.

As to what will happen in Ontario if they cancel the rebate, I agree with your view not to count on getting your reservation and order deposits back if you're not prepared to buy it without the rebate. It's always best to err on the side of caution. You can get your reservation fee back but once you place your order, prepare to lose the full deposit if you back out after that.

Agree. I reserved and ordered with no financial reliance on the 14k incentive. If I end up getting it then great! Bonus. If not then no loss either as I never counted on it.

Reactions: navguy12 and Canuck