Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Charging speed versus Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, which is why I chuckle a little when people use the reason for overbuilding their charging setups with 100A circuits because they say Tesla cars will have higher and higher power onboard chargers, so it is "future proofing". Nope. Tesla's progression has been downward, from 80A to 72A to 48A. I don't see the trend upward in that.

It's future-proofing for a multiple-Tesla home. Even today a 100A circuit serving 2 HPWCs can't charge two vehicles at their max of 48A simultaneously.

Reactions: Rocky_H
It's future-proofing for a multiple-Tesla home. Even today a 100A circuit serving 2 HPWCs can't charge two vehicles at their max of 48A simultaneously.
Sure, that part is, and I have heard people give that different reason, which is valid, but I specifically referred to people's predictions that Tesla is going to be moving toward higher and higher power onboard chargers in their cars, which clearly seems to not be the case.

Sure, that part is, and I have heard people give that different reason, which is valid, but I specifically referred to people's predictions that Tesla is going to be moving toward higher and higher power onboard chargers in their cars, which clearly seems to not be the case.

Yeah, I agree with that. I bet we'll see it for drastically-range-increased cars like the Roadster @ 600 miles range, but I wouldn't hold my breath to see a 72A Model 3.

Yeah, I agree with that. I bet we'll see it for drastically-range-increased cars like the Roadster @ 600 miles range, but I wouldn't hold my breath to see a 72A Model 3.
Yes, Roadster probably, but I would think pickup truck almost certainly. The truck is going to go through a lot of energy per mile, and just using a lot of energy each day with harder work than a passenger car, so I would expect people will have a lot more need for faster refilling overnight.

True of old S/X with 72A onboard chargers. Recent S/X top out on L2 at the same 48A as the 3.

3 can currently Supercharge at up to 250kW vs 200 kW for recent S/X and 150 kW for older S/X.

In the past, it was possible that a US Model X or S could have a 72 or 80 amps of on-board charger(s). The choices were 40, 48, 72 and 80 amps. (80 amps was via twin 10 kW OBCs.)

However, now (Onboard Charger), for the US market, Tesla is only equipping even the S and X with 48 amp OBCs at max w/no option to upgrade. And, Model 3 below LR supposedly only have 32 amp OBCs.

One can look at a subset of past OBC past history at the below:
Onboard Charger
Onboard Charger

There's more to it than the above and it was covered on other pages on their site.

Thanks to both of you for both correcting and expanding on my statements with facts, much appreciated. I wonder how many (percentage) of S/X sold have the higher current options installed?