Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Coolant Specification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is an odd question, so some context on why you need to know this would be more useful.

The battery is not "user-servicable" and knowing a particular detail like this would be for Tesla engineers and reverse-engineers only.

I'm guessing that you are not trying to service the battery, so probably you are mistaken about needing this information.

I don't think it's any special coolant here. Likely the same coolant used by other manufacturer needing to cool something down. But yeah, Tesla doesn't release those information; specially when it comes to the battery components etc.

I was told by a Ranger it uses the same blue coolant that BMW uses, and yes the Amazon link looks good. The Ranger insisted the coolant is good for life. With similar metals, and lower pressures and temperatures it should really last well north of 250,000 miles.

• Helpful
Reactions: eprosenx
I suppose my point was that lots of us come here to learn things because we're curious. I was genuinely curious to know the answer even though I won't need to know for quite awhile now. Lots of us are skeptical of factory maintenance schedules, as well.

Something that's every few months, I could see, but you're skeptical of a maintenance item that has a change interval of about twice per decade?! That's some next level stuff.

Volkswagen advertised many of their automatic transmissions as having "lifetime fluid." It turns out that the transmission completely smoked the fluid after about 100,000 miles, resulting in excessive wear and premature failure. 60,000 mile fluid change intervals extends their service life considerably. I read somewhere that Volkswagen considers a vehicle "lifetime" to be ~120,000 miles. Your mileage may vary. :)

Those of you bashing someone wanting to know are probably so academic you don't know what end of a screwdriver does what.
This data should be readily available. Warranty expires, vehicles are salvaged and repaired, heck even just so someone knows what they are cleaning up after an accident or failure causes a spill or leak.

Agreed. Don't bash people for wanting to educate themselves.

Something that's every few months, I could see, but you're skeptical of a maintenance item that has a change interval of about twice per decade?! That's some next level stuff.

I actually think Tesla has adjusted that interval to "never."

Your Battery coolant does not need to be replaced for the life of your vehicle under most circumstances. Brake fluid should be checked every 2 years, replacing if necessary. Note: Any damage caused by opening the Battery coolant reservoir is excluded from the warranty

Caution: The Battery requires no owner maintenance. Do not remove the coolant filler cap and do not add fluid. If the touchscreen warns you that the fluid level is low, contact Tesla immediately.

Musk has stated that the current Model 3 battery should have a life of about 1500 cycles which works out to be about 360,000 miles on the SR+. If we assume the life of the battery is the "life of your vehicle" and you drive an above average 20,000 miles a year, you shouldn't have to worry about the coolant for approx 18 years, and by then you probably would want to upgrade or at least replace the battery...

So you probably don't need to worry about it unless the car notifies you of an issue (I would assume high battery temperatures during supercharging or hard driving or something) or if you have a leak, in which case you don't want to just dump more in there, you want someone to service it and figure out the problem...

Last edited:
Reactions: outdoors
I actually think Tesla has adjusted that interval to "never."

Your Battery coolant does not need to be replaced for the life of your vehicle under most circumstances. Brake fluid should be checked every 2 years, replacing if necessary. Note: Any damage caused by opening the Battery coolant reservoir is excluded from the warranty

So you probably don't need to worry about it unless the car notifies you of an issue (I would assume high battery temperatures during supercharging or hard driving or something) or if you have a leak, in which case you don't want to just dump more in there, you want someone to service it and figure out the problem...

"Life of the vehicle" is a pretty loose term. For other manufacturers, that usually means the life of the warranty, which in the Model 3's case is 8 years or 120,000 miles. A reasonable approach would be to test the coolant at the end of the warranty and at periodic intervals following that. If it tests fine, leave it alone.

Volkswagen advertised many of their automatic transmissions as having "lifetime fluid." It turns out that the transmission completely smoked the fluid after about 100,000 miles, resulting in excessive wear and premature failure. 60,000 mile fluid change intervals extends their service life considerably. I read somewhere that Volkswagen considers a vehicle "lifetime" to be ~120,000 miles. Your mileage may vary. :)
"lifetime" on a lubricating fluid around around moving parts? Well yeah, no one should believe that.

"lifetime" on a lubricating fluid around around moving parts? Well yeah, no one should believe that.

They said the same thing about the engine coolant on recent vehicles. I can find thread after thread on the VW forums about the coolant deteriorating over time, ultimately turning into brown muck. GM had similar issues with Dexcool back in the day.

I always take these "lifetime" recommendations with a grain of salt and do my own research. Trust but verify, although in the case of VW, don't trust.