Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 crazy vampire drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a different issue with my TeslaFi account where my Model 3 goes offline all the time. If I use the app on the phone to update, it will briefly show that it's idle for a bit then shortly goes offline again. Anyone have any tips of what settings to change on car or TeslaFi?

I tried turning off all sleep functions on TeslaFi and edited my Home location to not put the car in the 3 sleep cycles available. @Jdeck appears to not have posted since around Christmas.

We are seeing just over 2 miles vampire loans per day. I was seeing more like 5-6 when TeslaFi was accidentally set to the Model 3 (it switched after the Model 3 was added to our Tesla account), so there might be something to that. TelsaFi never showed the Model 3 sleeping.

Another thing to consider is the Model 3 could be waking up frequently due to seeing your cellphones bluetooth signal. Ours was constantly unfolding, then re-folding the side mirrors as we walked around the garage or in the driveway. It was probably doing that while we were inside the house as well. I disabled "walk up unlock ", and that seems to help quite a bit. I also swipe the stele app in my phone to the Models, so it does not wake up the 3 when I walk by it to get to my S.

We are seeing just over 2 miles vampire loans per day. I was seeing more like 5-6 when TeslaFi was accidentally set to the Model 3 (it switched after the Model 3 was added to our Tesla account), so there might be something to that. TelsaFi never showed the Model 3 sleeping.

Another thing to consider is the Model 3 could be waking up frequently due to seeing your cellphones bluetooth signal. Ours was constantly unfolding, then re-folding the side mirrors as we walked around the garage or in the driveway. It was probably doing that while we were inside the house as well. I disabled "walk up unlock ", and that seems to help quite a bit. I also swipe the stele app in my phone to the Models, so it does not wake up the 3 when I walk by it to get to my S.
I took have turned off the walk up unlock but I still seem to be having issues with it going offline when idle. Charging, driving and waking it up with the Tesla app seems to get it out of offline mode (briefly).

Hi everyone.

There does to be something going on with the offline status of the model 3 through the API. As far as I could tell most of the cars do appear 'offline' from the API calls after a little bit of idling. It's hard for me to tell exactly what's going on however since I can't tell what is happening when the vehicle is offline. Is anyone missing any data due to being offline or is it just happening when the car is idle and then comes back online when a charge or drive is started? These might be signs of how things are going to work for model 3's or it's a an issue with the API or the vehicles software.

@CuriousG when TeslaFi shows the car offline and you use the Tesla app, does it show waking up at the bottom of the app? Does it connect up right away? Is there an 'always connected' option in the model 3?

As far as the sleeping, TeslaFi pauses polling during a idle session to give the car some time to go to sleep. This whole process will not occur if the car is offline and TeslaFi won't show any sleep sessions because the API never reports the car 'asleep', just offline. But, if the car is offline the script aborts very early in the process and does not poll for data, pretty much the same process and letting the car sleep.

Thanks for the feedback. Any help is appreciated. It's a lot easier to figure these things out on an S or X since I have an S in my garage. Maybe this thread will finally convince my accountant that my model 3 will be for R&D. ;)

Hi everyone.

There does to be something going on with the offline status of the model 3 through the API. As far as I could tell most of the cars do appear 'offline' from the API calls after a little bit of idling. It's hard for me to tell exactly what's going on however since I can't tell what is happening when the vehicle is offline. Is anyone missing any data due to being offline or is it just happening when the car is idle and then comes back online when a charge or drive is started? These might be signs of how things are going to work for model 3's or it's a an issue with the API or the vehicles software.

@CuriousG when TeslaFi shows the car offline and you use the Tesla app, does it show waking up at the bottom of the app? Does it connect up right away? Is there an 'always connected' option in the model 3?

As far as the sleeping, TeslaFi pauses polling during a idle session to give the car some time to go to sleep. This whole process will not occur if the car is offline and TeslaFi won't show any sleep sessions because the API never reports the car 'asleep', just offline. But, if the car is offline the script aborts very early in the process and does not poll for data, pretty much the same process and letting the car sleep.

Thanks for the feedback. Any help is appreciated. It's a lot easier to figure these things out on an S or X since I have an S in my garage. Maybe this thread will finally convince my accountant that my model 3 will be for R&D. ;)
That's good to know that I'm not going crazy since noone has acknowledged that it is going offline. When using the Tesla App it takes 5-10 seconds to refresh. I don't think it says waking up but just spins for a bit. I don't think there is an 'always connected' option but I'll check again.

Just checked and no it does not have 'always connected' but the UI is far from finished and I don't have the current firmware that turns on schedule charging.

Forgot to mention it doesn't appear I'm missing data but there was one time it segmented one of my trips into two drives but that could easily be merged.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: privater
Hi, everyone, I just want to report back that since I follow @gaswalla's suggestion, a full reboot has been made.
The symption has been relieved.

The consumption reduced to about 5 miles per day. And when I open the app on cellphone after a while, I noticed there is 10 seconds delay to `wake` the car and made connection, which is a good sign of car might be sleep mode.

And I scheduled a service with Tesla on Wednesday, will report back when I hear more details from technicians.

Ug. Yeah, I'm seeing this too. In just 10 hours I saw 10 miles drained. That seems like a lot of power for just sitting around. I'm in SoCal with very moderate temps and the car is garaged, if that makes a difference. Hopefully a software update can fix this.
May be you can try this workaround from @gaswalla:

hold down the brakes and both buttons for over 45 seconds for a 'full reboot'

The newer firmware 2017.50.11.13d4a04 seems to have resolved the issue of it going offline all the time. However, the car still will not sleep.

upload_2018-1-23_18-52-49.png

I don't think I have seen this mentioned in this thread, but maybe keep in mind the proximity of phone & card key to the car.
If the card key is left inside maybe the car stays awake all the time?
Or if your phone is within Bluetooth range of the car all the time, it could keep it awake?
I bet some people have a night stand close to the garage and their phone could be sitting all night close to the car.

• Informative
Reactions: MaryAnning3
I don't think I have seen this mentioned in this thread, but maybe keep in mind the proximity of phone & card key to the car.
Or if your phone is within Bluetooth range of the car all the time, it could keep it awake?
I bet some people have a night stand close to the garage and their phone could be sitting all night close to the car.
This would be true if I didn't have to plug in when I want to charge before the schedule charging update. I don't bring my phone with me and have to grab my card key to unlock the door just so I can open the charging port.

I already turned off the phone key features like the manual described for 3 days and using key card exclusively.
still lose 1-2 kWh per day.