Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 crazy vampire drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You sure this works? My car just resets after about ~20s of holding the buttons.
Maybe my timing is incorrect, but the way to do it did solve some of the vampire drain for me:
I was constantly losing 3 kwh per day, after the reset, it's losing 1-2 kwh per day.

I scheduled a service appointment with Tesla today, I'll update their feedback later.

And how much, if any, of that vampire drain is caused by TeslaFi? (It may need to be optimized for Model 3 like it was for S&X.)
Herein lies the chicken and egg situation. I can't monitor if the car is sleeping without TeslaFi. And if it is sleeping, I can't monitor how much loss without TeslaFi. I suppose I can by just making note of the mileage. Maybe someone that lives in the area of @Jdeck can volunteer their car so that he can figure out what's going on.

And how much, if any, of that vampire drain is caused by TeslaFi? (It may need to be optimized for Model 3 like it was for S&X.)
I turned off TeslaFi and delete the token for 5 days, it can't pull any data from my Model 3, here is a screenshot for vampire drain for almost 12 hours 3 miles lost in between:

IMG_9263.PNG

IMG_9265.PNG

I just had a conversation with Tesla engineer at service stop.
He believed it might be a software problem, and showed me a internal memo on vampire drain categorized by firmware version.
I can't remember exact firmware number, but after 2017.50.xx vampire drain is supposed to be 1% battery capacity = 0.75kwh = 3.15 Mi in my case.
some other data like 2017.46.xx is 2.5%, even older firmware 2017.3x.xx is 5-6%, they're getting better, but still not as optimal as Model S.
Since my problem has been relieved after reboot. I'll wait and see next update.

btw, even the newest firmware is 2018.2.xx they can't just force install that version on my car, he told me it's decided by their server.

I'll update this thread in future.

My car just got the update to 2018.4.9 and I noticed this yesterday:

- start charge at work, ends at 10:30 with 271 miles
- drive car at 2:45 or so - 3 miles lost

3 miles in about 4 hours? Seems high. I called Tesla to have them add it to my car's records. Car was just sitting, no cabin conditions or anything.

I do not recall seeing this prior to the update FWIW

My car just got the update to 2018.4.9 and I noticed this yesterday:

- start charge at work, ends at 10:30 with 271 miles
- drive car at 2:45 or so - 3 miles lost

3 miles in about 4 hours? Seems high. I called Tesla to have them add it to my car's records. Car was just sitting, no cabin conditions or anything.

I do not recall seeing this prior to the update FWIW
That particular instance happened before the firmware upgrade. For some reason while it is plugged after charging, it consumes quite a bit of power...not sure why, but that happened before the firmware. I am finding now that on an overnight basis (while not charging), I am losing 6 miles in 12 hour cycle. Might want to check what happens to your car overnight. Most people charge overnight and daily so this is not an issue, but I only charge every few days--so this becomes more apparent

Last edited:
Picked up my Model 3 last Wednesday and I've noticed some odd behavior while parked (even if not charging) and significant vampire drain before and after the most recent update:
The car was clacking a lot and cycling through some sequence of events. It even flashes the headlamps quickly (strobe) randomly.

While plugged in, vampire drain is so significant, that it resumes charging every 2-3 minutes after reaching the 80% limit I have set.

While unplugged, it is losing 8 miles a day:
3/6/18 12:41pm 278 miles range
3/7/18 3:06pm 270 miles range
3/8/18 2:55pm 262 miles range

Right now I am on 2018.4.9 700fb88.

Reported the issue to Tesla last Friday and Saturday, and followed up on Monday. Sent more info on Tuesday. It is Thursday and I am still waiting for my first call-back. I hate the thought of the car wearing down its part as it cycles on and off nearly 24 hours a day.

Thank you.

Picked up my Model 3 last Wednesday and I've noticed some odd behavior while parked (even if not charging) and significant vampire drain before and after the most recent update:
The car was clacking a lot and cycling through some sequence of events. It even flashes the headlamps quickly (strobe) randomly.

While plugged in, vampire drain is so significant, that it resumes charging every 2-3 minutes after reaching the 80% limit I have set.

While unplugged, it is losing 8 miles a day:
3/6/18 12:41pm 278 miles range
3/7/18 3:06pm 270 miles range
3/8/18 2:55pm 262 miles range

Right now I am on 2018.4.9 700fb88.

Reported the issue to Tesla last Friday and Saturday, and followed up on Monday. Sent more info on Tuesday. It is Thursday and I am still waiting for my first call-back. I hate the thought of the car wearing down its part as it cycles on and off nearly 24 hours a day.

Thank you.
Keep us posted....in 24 hours, I went from 222 to 209. Quite a bit of drain. I hear the same clacking and cycling noise that you do.

I hear the same noises when I walk near the car with my phone in my pocket. The car seems to wake up even though I don’t have walk up unlock enabled.

Turning off Bluetooth on the phone and closing the Tesla app seems to work but is inconvenient. However, obviously, the less the car wakes up, the less the battery drain.

I had noticed 7-8 miles drain per day when I used to “check in” on the car periodically. But now I’m seeing considerably less drain (2-3 miles per day) while unplugged.

Can confirm is not working for me either

Power off doesn't work for me either now unless I wait approximately 10-15 minutes after parking (after which point the headlights emit a quick flash). Then I can power off and the screen will go dark. However, it will wake up again after some time (perhaps because it detects my movement in the seat).

I recall that power off used to work immediately (at least when I first picked up the car) but that was several software updates ago.

• Informative
Reactions: privater