TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model 3 - Ditch the Glass Panorama for Lift Back or Keep?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by theganjaguru, Apr 2, 2016.

?

Which would you prefer ?

1. Ditch the glass panorama and make the model 3 a lift back so I can haul more stuff.

2. I prefer the glass panorama even though I won't be able to haul as much stuff.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. theganjaguru

I know there is a similar poll regarding the fact that the model 3 doesn't have a lift back. However, I wanted more finite results. So I created this poll... As Jalopnik had written it up, the lack of a lift back on the model 3 means you won't be able to haul as much stuff.. given this fact, I would like to know what people prefer. Lift back or notch back.
    http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-tesla-model-3s-biggest-design-fail-1768467573

2. jkliu47

jkliu47 Member

Comparing the rear trunk openings of the Model S and Model 3 its clear that the design/engineering decision was to move the cross member support structure from above and behind the rear passengers heads to behind their back shoulders to allow increased headroom increase rear visibility and maintain structural rigidity. But in doing so, Tesla lost the lift back. Probably a compromise to maximize interior room while retaining the sleek profile and minimizing Cd.

That being said, I still hope that Tesla finds a way to return the lift back by production trim.

• Like x 3
  3. Jon Jivan

Jon Jivan New Member

Coming from a car that has a traditional trunk, this really makes no difference to me.

The attitude of a traditional trunk being a "design fail" is crazy to me. Is the BMW 3 Series trunk a design fail too?

• Like x 3
  4. Lunarx

Lunarx Member

Trade off, for Rear Seat Comfort vs Cargo Utility.
    I can accept it, because of the Front Trunk (which I will use more, than that small rear trunk).

5. 1208

1208 Active Member

Two Words: Roof Rack :)

• Like x 1
  6. Jasvo

Jasvo Member

Wondering if the backseat can be folded for more trunk space?

7. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

I don't want them to change anything if it means it will delay launch. Those who desire a hatch/lift back can wait for the model Y.

That said, I do love the hatch on our S. But I can live without it on the 3. My ice is a notch and I am fine with it.

• Like x 3
  8. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

I would say that is more or less confirmed, as I can't think of another way to get a 7 ft surfboard in there.

I think the standard trunk looks great. If you really want a hatchback/fastback, you've got two options: Wait for pre-owned Model S prices to come in your range or wait for the Model Y.

• Like x 1
  9. tracksyde

tracksyde Member

Definitely, since Elon said you could fit a 7ft surfboard inside

10. Snowdog

Snowdog Member

There will be a crossover model later for those who must have a hatch.

11. theganjaguru

.. Which greatly reduces aerodynamics and thus range. One word. Pass

• Funny x 1
  12. theganjaguru

If they were able to do falcon wing doors, changing the design to a lift back should be a a cakewalk! LOL. I'd prefer a lift back but if the 3 is lacking it, I'll still buy. It's the lack of a center display that I really do not like. But that's for another thread.

13. Weezer Fan

Weezer Fan Member

I don't know if a roof rack could be used with a glass roof.

14. Greschi

Greschi New Member

For everybody who likes sports and thus has to be able to transport bikes and other gear the present solution is not ideal or even a deal breaker. A car like the model 3 should be practical and having a large glass roof over a hatch back is not practical at all. Buying a smaller car means that passengers in the back are going to have less space and that's also acceptable because such cars are going to be driven mostly with one or two occupants... If a hatch back would be optional I would take it in a heartbeat!

15. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

I believe so because Elon Musk mention the ability to carry a surf board.

However, I would prefer also to have a hatchback door.

16. yesup

yesup Member

But you have to understand that hatch back or wagon just doesn't sell in US.

17. DrManhattan

DrManhattan Member

There is no hatchback for now. Maybe you guys should look at the bolt if it's a necessity.

18. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

What about the Model S? Also the Model 3 is going to be sold in other markets than US.

• Like x 1
  19. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

I have made my opinion abundantly clear on this issue. :) But I'm trying to be a good sport about it.

20. eloder

eloder Member

That makes zero sense because Norway and the US are Tesla's biggest markets, by a very large margin.

Unlike Norway, the US has a very substantial population and also pretty strong incentives compared to many other countries.

There will eventually be trucks, hatchbacks, vans, microcars from Tesla I guarantee you--but they're fleshing out bigger segments first. Mid-price CUV is next up on the list, and (not so coincidentally) is the upcoming Model Y. Expect a Tesla truck sometime in early 2020, possibly even before the next-gen roadster Elon is promising.

There's nothing wrong with a Bolt being a better vehicle for you if you need a hatch. All EVs are good for the planet.