Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Ditch the Glass Panorama for Lift Back or Keep?

Which would you prefer ?

• Ditch the glass panorama and make the model 3 a lift back so I can haul more stuff.

• I prefer the glass panorama even though I won't be able to haul as much stuff.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there is a similar poll regarding the fact that the model 3 doesn't have a lift back. However, I wanted more finite results. So I created this poll... As Jalopnik had written it up, the lack of a lift back on the model 3 means you won't be able to haul as much stuff.. given this fact, I would like to know what people prefer. Lift back or notch back.
http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-tesla-model-3s-biggest-design-fail-1768467573

I know there is a similar poll regarding the fact that the model 3 doesn't have a lift back. However, I wanted more finite results. So I created this poll... As Jalopnik had written it up, the lack of a lift back on the model 3 means you won't be able to haul as much stuff.. given this fact, I would like to know what people prefer. Lift back or notch back.
http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-tesla-model-3s-biggest-design-fail-1768467573

Comparing the rear trunk openings of the Model S and Model 3 its clear that the design/engineering decision was to move the cross member support structure from above and behind the rear passengers heads to behind their back shoulders to allow increased headroom increase rear visibility and maintain structural rigidity. But in doing so, Tesla lost the lift back. Probably a compromise to maximize interior room while retaining the sleek profile and minimizing Cd.

That being said, I still hope that Tesla finds a way to return the lift back by production trim.

Wondering if the backseat can be folded for more trunk space?

I would say that is more or less confirmed, as I can't think of another way to get a 7 ft surfboard in there.

I think the standard trunk looks great. If you really want a hatchback/fastback, you've got two options: Wait for pre-owned Model S prices to come in your range or wait for the Model Y.

Reactions: GSP
I don't want them to change anything if it means it will delay launch. Those who desire a hatch/lift back can wait for the model Y.

That said, I do love the hatch on our S. But I can live without it on the 3. My ice is a notch and I am fine with it.

If they were able to do falcon wing doors, changing the design to a lift back should be a a cakewalk! LOL. I'd prefer a lift back but if the 3 is lacking it, I'll still buy. It's the lack of a center display that I really do not like. But that's for another thread.

For everybody who likes sports and thus has to be able to transport bikes and other gear the present solution is not ideal or even a deal breaker. A car like the model 3 should be practical and having a large glass roof over a hatch back is not practical at all. Buying a smaller car means that passengers in the back are going to have less space and that's also acceptable because such cars are going to be driven mostly with one or two occupants... If a hatch back would be optional I would take it in a heartbeat!

What about the Model S? Also the Model 3 is going to be sold in other markets than US.

That makes zero sense because Norway and the US are Tesla's biggest markets, by a very large margin.

Unlike Norway, the US has a very substantial population and also pretty strong incentives compared to many other countries.

There will eventually be trucks, hatchbacks, vans, microcars from Tesla I guarantee you--but they're fleshing out bigger segments first. Mid-price CUV is next up on the list, and (not so coincidentally) is the upcoming Model Y. Expect a Tesla truck sometime in early 2020, possibly even before the next-gen roadster Elon is promising.

There's nothing wrong with a Bolt being a better vehicle for you if you need a hatch. All EVs are good for the planet.