Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Door Handles

Do you think the Model 3's door handles will retract like Model S.?

• Yes

Votes: 50 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 144 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really, really hope they are not the X style. That is not a natural way to open a door.
Handles are something you pull or push to move the door. Making it a two stage operation like press the button to release the door then move your hand somewhere else to open it is annoying. Have you ever tried that on some kitchen cupboard door? It's really annoying (yes, we are remodeling our kitchen!)
Just a plain and simple flush door handle please.

With the X they have automatic doors in both front and rear where a button works. The model 3 will not likely have automatic doors. I would expect the flush auto presenting handles from the model s. They have perfected that system for the most part so it makes good sense to re purpose for the 3. I bet they reuse as much stuff that make sense. The computer screen i bet is the same as the S and X.

Tough choices.... they gotta trim ~$35k from somewhere... I doubt steel and a smaller size can even account for half the cost reduction that's required...

I agree flush handles make sense since they likely reduce the required battery size by nearly the same amount as their cost. I also think a 'S/X' size touchscreen is also likely since a different smaller 'cheaper' display could actually end up costing more due to economies of scale.

Mechanical door handles cost more to manufacture and effect design and structure of the door.

You will not see mechanical door handles. My bet is model X handles at reveal and no handles at all on production. With fobs and phones handles aren't required.

Move past the rotory phone people

Tough choices.... they gotta trim ~$35k from somewhere... I doubt steel and a smaller size can even account for half the cost reduction that's required...

It's not. 30% of the cost reduction alone comes from the battery cells made in the Gigafactory. The other 20% is cost reductions from materials, smaller size and economies of scale. JB said recently "I think it will surprise people with the level of features it includes". I have no doubt Model 3 will be spectacular and certainly the interior wont suffer from cost reductions. The last part: economies of scale, is the biggest factor. Tesla is spreading capital costs for Model 3 over hundreds of thousands of cars. Model S costs a lot because the costs are not spread out as much and it also has a very hefty margin for Tesla (~25%). Model 3 when in full production should have gross margins around 15% which is something Elon mentioned in a conference call.

Reactions: nwdiver
Yeah, I think that Tesla will be using their already-engineered (and oh-so-cool) retracting door handles as we see them on the Model S.
It seems to be one of Tesla's signature (yuk, yuk) items that separate it from all other makes.
And since its already built, using an existing component would help lower the cost of development of the car.

Reactions: trinites1a
It's not. 30% of the cost reduction alone comes from the battery cells made in the Gigafactory. The other 20% is cost reductions from materials, smaller size and economies of scale. JB said recently "I think it will surprise people with the level of features it includes". I have no doubt Model 3 will be spectacular and certainly the interior wont suffer from cost reductions. The last part: economies of scale, is the biggest factor. Tesla is spreading capital costs for Model 3 over hundreds of thousands of cars. Model S costs a lot because the costs are not spread out as much and it also has a very hefty margin for Tesla (~25%). Model 3 when in full production should have gross margins around 15% which is something Elon mentioned in a conference call.
Also the longer tech is on the market the cheaper it becomes. When Model 3 starts production some of the current features will already be a few years old in a sense. The tech is not outdated because as we can see Tesla remains innovative. But things like the Model X door handle will be cheaper and just as easy to implement.

True. But I think Model S's still have door handle issues.

Hence why I want plain mechanical handles. I have never had a mechanical handle break in anything short of an accident.

These door handles are part of what make Tesla Tesla in my opinion.. I've hand mechanical all my life.. time for something new... it's like asking them too go backwards

Reactions: SureValla
IF there are mechanical door handles, they will be like this...
2009-aston-martin-vantage-2-door-coupe-man-door-handle_100236192_l-jpg.40384
18n9j4hkwp9srjpg.jpg

IF there are not standard mechanical handles, they will be like this...
tesla-model-s-5769.jpg
w-homey-tesla-door-handle-model-s.jpg

Reactions: GSP and trinites1a
My preference (in order)
  1. Model X door/handles, The idea that the door would pop open with a touch is a nice one.
  2. Model S handles. Handles that auto present and thus means the car is unlocked is alluring
  3. VW Kessy style handles. This is what I have now and not having the pull the FOB out, along with not having to press a button for the door to unlock first is nice.
Not sure how expensive each option is compared to each other. I suspect that the Model S handles are the most expensive, followed by the Kessy style handle trailed by the Model X handle.

After some more research and thinking, I believe the auto-presenting door handles are done. No more on new models, replaced on Mod S refresh. Tesla is a forward moving company. They clearly think Mod X handles are a step forward from Mod S otherwise, why use them. They won't "step backwards" for any part of the design. Elon is too driven (stubborn) to do that.

Handles will be new Tesla standard (X) or something we haven't even seen yet. But def not Mod S, those are done.

Reactions: Red Sage
You will not see mechanical door handles. My bet is model X handles at reveal and no handles at all on production. With fobs and phones handles aren't required.

Move past the rotory phone people

Nice vision that doesn't play well in the real world. My first thought is of my 6 year old trying to get his dog out of the car. My second is of other people helping the occupants out after an accident - I'm sure there are lots of safety regulations about this too.

It's not. 30% of the cost reduction alone comes from the battery cells made in the Gigafactory. The other 20% is cost reductions from materials, smaller size and economies of scale. JB said recently "I think it will surprise people with the level of features it includes".

Even if power handles or doors are affordable at the $35k price point, Tesla may choose not to include them to help differentiate the M3 from its high margin big brothers that I'm sure they want (if not need) to keep selling.