Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 dual motor AWD optional

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like I have to eat crow here. I was wrong about the Model 3 coming with dual motors by default. :)

Elon also said that there would be a 40kWh Model S :wink:

If the AWD 3 is only a ~$1k premium over RWD once the fact a smaller battery equals same range is taken into account... if the RWD 3 has the same sales issue the 40 did then it could suffer the same fate.

Tesla certainly has a track record of chopping unpopular options for the sake of streamlining production. Time will tell. I'm still betting that Tesla will be like Subaru in ~5 years... AWD only. I DO believe a RWD 3 will be offered... I don't expect it to last...

That's still a fair point. They did make some 40KWh cars and they're out in the wild, but not many, and Tesla discontinued it after a short while. Perhaps that will happen to the RWD stripper car!

It depends on the product mix as selected by the public. My guess is... the 40KWh Model S was regarded as the bottom of the range variant of a very experimental car from a relatively unknown brand in 2012. As a result the By next year when it is revealed, the Model 3 will not be regarded as an experimental car from an unknown brand - by any stretch of the imagination. In fact there are legions of people who have already made their minds up that the Model 3 is what they want next. There's a great possibility that the base model will be ordered just as commonly as the higher-up variants.

I think a big part of what people will be buying is going to heavily depend on what is offered when. If Tesla comes out with only a RWD up front, but they plan on releasing the AWD within the following 6 months, people will be torn between getting their dream car (the Model 3) as soon as possible, waiting for the dual motor version, and hoping the tax credit doesn't run out for Tesla before the AWD variants are available. If there's any chance the tax credit might run out, waiting for a premium and AWD version could mean not only the price difference Tesla charges, but also another $7,500.

I can guarantee I'll be watching sales numbers carefully, but there will be variables that will be difficult to quantify, like the time to build and how many other potential Model 3 buyers are waiting as long as possible for the most advanced version that will still qualify for the federal tax credit.

And Tesla did offer the S40 as the base car in 2013 but there were so few buyers that Tesla discontinued it.
I believe that the base Model 3 will definitely be RWD but the AWD version will outsell it by a wide margin because it will only be about $3,000 more. However for many prospective buyers in that market segment that is a significant difference.
In the Model S market segment, a $3,000 price difference is much less of an issue because it is a much smaller percentage of the total vehicle cost.

Can someone make a quick itemization of the benefits of AWD versus RWD? Better handling especially in snowing conditions? I doubt anyone will go offroading in their Model 3 after all. ;) I'd probably select the option with more range over AWD if I could wing it.

Can someone make a quick itemization of the benefits of AWD versus RWD? Better handling especially in snowing conditions? I doubt anyone will go offroading in their Model 3 after all. ;) I'd probably select the option with more range over AWD if I could wing it.

I believe AWD is also supposed to be more efficient (with a longer range) as the motors can be 'geared' differently. The AWD S85D is rated at 270 miles whereas the RWD S85 is only rated at 265 miles. Do a search on torque sleep and you'll probably find a few threads discussing it.

The option with more range is the AWD option. That's would be the main benefit as far as I am concerned.

(sorry, I didn't see you had already replied. I'll see whether I'd get the RWD or the AWD, but I'm not convinced the AWD will be such a dominant seller over RWD as other people seem to.)

Here is a good argument for the AWD (its a little long, but not if your a car person - but I used to work at Laguna so I could be bias):

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=FC5AA5E93C2DB9158F00FC5AA5E93C2DB9158F00

The P85D drives flatter in both acceleration and deceleration than the P85+. The chassis, and thus tires grip is improved, less upset with a front end that pulls and well as a rear end that pushes.

Pretty much as I expected, but I still hope for dual motor AWD to play a fundamental role in a he Model ≡ product line.

On the first page of this discussion, I wrote:
That would lead some to suppose that also means there must be a rear wheel drive version, in order to satisfy the expectations of legions of fans of induced oversteer while testing their skills with RWD. But that is a purely emotional argument, and may not stand up to cold, hard, analytical inspection.

See, the problem is that, as Elon has indicated, Tesla cannot get away with building cars that are simply 'just as good' as other cars -- even exceptional ones. They must build cars that are better, than all the other cars, or no one will have a reason to buy them. And the evidence is clear that dual motor AWD is simply better.

The handful of lost sales from those who despise AWD will be dwarfed by the torrent of orders from those who demand it.

I stand by that assessment. I certainly understand why a RWD version of Tesla Model ≡ will be offered. I don't believe it is necessary though, beyond showing off frunk space.

Pretty much as I expected, but I still hope for dual motor AWD to play a fundamental role in a he Model ≡ product line.

I stand by that assessment. I certainly understand why a RWD version of Tesla Model ≡ will be offered. I don't believe it is necessary though, beyond showing off frunk space.

Simple really. Elon has publically announced $35k as the price for the base model. A Single motor RWD costs less.