Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 entry via ... keycard & app. No fob.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure I will fix it, but only with the urgency that not being able to text and/or phone calls presents. NOW the urgency will escalate far beyond texting and phone calls. Instead of getting a new phone in a couple of days....I will need one NOW. Get it now? Things have changed.

I might have to get a spare phone now. Kinda like a spare key except this key will be $500 and up. Maybe I will get a spare phone that simply has the ability to run the app - with simplified Bluetooth pairing and perform all of the functions necessary to run my car.

I don't know? I suppose I will just roll with the punches.

I'm confused. Why would you need a spare phone? The whole point of the key card is to let you use the car if the phone doesn't work. The phone is just a convenience.

I'm confused. Why would you need a spare phone? The whole point of the key card is to let you use the car if the phone doesn't work. The phone is just a convenience.

Still they are putting a big part of the functionality of the vehicle on the owners, and what type of phone you have. And if your phones bluetooth adapter isn't as good etc than you are on your own call Apple or Samsung etc. They are not responsible if you can't open your car or drive it.

I'm not against the keycard but being honest, the keycard is the primary form of car operation that TESLA is providing. To me that is a downgrade. No matter what the phone app does, I don't really like it. Also I imagine that Model S and X owners also will get the updated app to use with their car, but they will still have their FOBs. Why can't they just make an addon for $150 and I will pay the extra. I want the little car as my FOB! lol.

Also, lets just hope your bedroom isn't next to or more so above your garage or driveway opening your car because you are close enough. I don't know the range but from the comments here it sounds like it might be a decent range. Also everytime I walk by my car it unlocks? So I go check the mail, it unlocks, take out the garbage, it unlocks. Has anyone told us how it locks back? My car right now is in the driveway, so if I walk past check the mail it unlocks, and I go back in the house, does it just stay unlocked? I don't know I still don't like the sound of it.

Still they are putting a big part of the functionality of the vehicle on the owners, and what type of phone you have. And if your phones bluetooth adapter isn't as good etc than you are on your own call Apple or Samsung etc. They are not responsible if you can't open your car or drive it.

I'm not against the keycard but being honest, the keycard is the primary form of car operation that TESLA is providing. To me that is a downgrade. No matter what the phone app does, I don't really like it. Also I imagine that Model S and X owners also will get the updated app to use with their car, but they will still have their FOBs. Why can't they just make an addon for $150 and I will pay the extra. I want the little car as my FOB! lol.

Also, lets just hope your bedroom isn't next to or more so above your garage or driveway opening your car because you are close enough. I don't know the range but from the comments here it sounds like it might be a decent range. Also everytime I walk by my car it unlocks? So I go check the mail, it unlocks, take out the garbage, it unlocks. Has anyone told us how it locks back? My car right now is in the driveway, so if I walk past check the mail it unlocks, and I go back in the house, does it just stay unlocked? I don't know I still don't like the sound of it.

My Model S unlocks if I walk by it. In then locks back again when I walk away. I'm not sure how much I like the phone thing either, but some of the things people complain about are just part of keyless entry that people have been talking about with the S for years.

Reactions: Gtosnipey
Personally, even though it may have some downsides, I'm all for BT on phone being primary "key", with credit card sized card as backup. One less annoying thing I have to carry around with me. My keyfob, wallet, and phone always go with me together everywhere. Getting rid of one is an improvement. Even better, no more "butt dialing" the windows down, or the doors unlocked, etc. I "butt dial" my keyfob far too often, but that won't be a problem with a phone key.

I see only two downsides. Not being able to quickly lock the doors manually when walking away (have to learn to trust the autolock), and possibly occasional slow BT connect, delaying entry. I can live with that.

I'm seriously considering a 3 for my next car, to replace my 2014 S P85. I love the S, but I could use the autopilot, longer range, and higher efficiency for my regular highway travel.

And while this is true of all Teslas, I am THRILLED that Tesla keyfobs do not have panic buttons. Oh how I hate panic buttons. I can't tell you how many times I have hit a panic button accidentally, sometimes in the middle of the night when neighbors are sleeping. Never once in my life have I used a panic button on purpose. Panic buttons should die. Die die die. Thank you Tesla for not having one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dynastar
My Model S unlocks if I walk by it. In then locks back again when I walk away. I'm not sure how much I like the phone thing either, but some of the things people complain about are just part of keyless entry that people have been talking about with the S for years.
I didn't like that feature at all, so I turned it off right away. Now I have to touch the door handles to open the car, which is how I prefer it.

Will that option be present for the 3? I'm guessing not.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865

Thanks for the info, I am glad it locks back. I think I sold myself so much and was looking forward to the Model S keyless entry feature that its just a shock. I remember when they first shows the new door handles I was like "Ok, I'm not getting the cool pop out door handles, I can take that". I don't know I just feel slighted somewhat, because they aren't saying the valet card is your primary, they are saying your 3rd party phone is the primary, and the keycard is extra. I also loved how unique tesla was with their key fob and was looking to have one of my own. The replacement costs are $150, but I feel like they added 10x that worth to the value of each car, just due to the individuality and cool factor it had.

• Love
Reactions: kavyboy
I didn't like that feature at all, so I turned it off right away. Now I have to touch the door handles to open the car, which is how I prefer it.

Will that option be present for the 3? I'm guessing not.

No it won't, the door handles as I understand them are completely different and do not respond/unlock to touch. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Reactions: DrivingRockies
I don't believe you can use a flip phone.... .
Forget about using a phone as the key, I'm gonna get me one of these and keep the key card in the attached wallet.
90s-Dead-EMGN8.jpg

No need to fumble with my wallet to get the card out or put it away. I can just tug on the chain to retrieve the attached wallet and touch it to the B-pillar to unlock the car and toss it into the cupholder to start the car. No worries about dropping the card down a crevice, leaving it behind or otherwise misplacing it in a senior moment. The chain, clipped to a belt loop of my skinny jeans, will be a fashion statement that lets people think I'm a wannabe retro hipster (too hip to carry a smartphone, but au courant when it comes to the car I drive). :)

I have kept the MS key fob in my shirt pocket. The RFID card would be thinner and help me look slimmer. Rather than removing the card, the driver could lean over and get close to unlock it. Just explain that you are checking how clean the rear window is.

The problem is that you'd still have to take the card out of your pocket and put it in the center console in order to start the car.

So, really, you're only hands free if you are using your phone as a key. And that's dependent on (i) your phone having some charge and (ii) Tesla's background software working quickly and properly on your particular phone. For many people, a phone running out of charge is a pretty rare event, so that isn't a big deal. Just pull out the valet card when it happens. But, especially on Android, where folks have so many combinations of hardware, OS and installed software, I'd be afraid that there will be lots of combinations where the Tesla software isn't reliable. My experience is that, especially when a phone is in locked mode, background software is always a bit iffy. The nice thing about fobs is that as long as you have working batteries in them, they are pretty much 100% reliable.

Reactions: N5329K
No it won't, the door handles as I understand them are completely different and do not respond/unlock to touch. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
The outside door handles are manually operated (i.e., no auto-present or motorized present when pressed). Push in on the fat part of the "hockey stick" with your thumb and the skinny part is presented (think seesaw action). Grab the presented skinny part of the handle with your other fingers to unlatch and open the door.

Last edited:
We'll get more details eventually, but Bluetooth LE does not need to "connect" in the traditional sense. It's a broadcasting standard where data and advertising packets can be constantly transmitted. It's possible that the car will be constantly broadcasting. This is the reason that the Tesla app will also be needed on the phone (for security). So, broadcasting once/second, for example, your doors would/could unlock long before you ever reach the car. I think this is how it'll work.

The downside I see is what someone mentioned a few posts back -- leaving one's phone in the car (intentionally or accidentally) may leave the car unlocked.

Forget about using a phone as the key, I'm gonna get me one of these and keep the key card in the attached wallet.
90s-Dead-EMGN8.jpg

No need to fumble with my wallet to get the card out or put it away. I can just tug on the chain to retrieve the attached wallet and touch it to the B-pillar to unlock the car and toss it into the cupholder to start the car. No worries about dropping the card down a crevice, leaving it behind or otherwise misplacing it in a senior moment. The chain, clipped to a belt loop of my skinny jeans, will be a fashion statement that lets people think I'm a wannabe retro hipster (too hip to carry a smartphone, but au courant when it comes to the car I drive). :)

Even easier if you tape your keycard against the B-pillar. Then it's always there when you need it.

We'll get more details eventually, but Bluetooth LE does not need to "connect" in the traditional sense. It's a broadcasting standard where data and advertising packets can be constantly transmitted. It's possible that the car will be constantly broadcasting. This is the reason that the Tesla app will also be needed on the phone (for security). So, broadcasting once/second, for example, your doors would/could unlock long before you ever reach the car. I think this is how it'll work.

The downside I see is what someone mentioned a few posts back -- leaving one's phone in the car (intentionally or accidentally) may leave the car unlocked.

Not much different from leaving your key in the car, really, other than you might pull out your phone to dock it. That said, Tesla should probably have an audible alert if your key phone is still docked after you leave the driver seat or open the door (analogous to legacy alerts cars had when key was left in ignition).