Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 entry via ... keycard & app. No fob.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is that you'd still have to take the card out of your pocket and put it in the center console in order to start the car...
True, however it does allow ease of hands free unlocking if the phone needs to be charged. I am assuming my phone is on the belt clip, and I normally remove it and place it in the charge dock every time I drive. Since Bluetooth connects automatically for phone calls, maybe the RFID card can remain in the shirt pocket.

Not much different from leaving your key in the car, really, other than you might pull out your phone to dock it..
It's a different dynamic for the reason you just stated. A modern FOB can remain in your pocket and thus never be left in the car. A modern phone (many) are too big to be comfortably left in your pocket while seated and/or you desire to mount them somewhere in the vehicle for easy access. These may be accidentally left in the car. I've left my phone behind a small number of times when I've been otherwise distracted and/or had other things to carry.

I want to be clear that I'm looking forward to the approach, but just imaging there may be issues. I'm not sure how Tesla can detect the difference between a phone intentionally left behind and one that's on your person but walking away. It would need to be done on a timer, or require you to use their in-car power plug every time.

Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Sure I will fix it, but only with the urgency that not being able to text and/or phone calls presents. NOW the urgency will escalate far beyond texting and phone calls. Instead of getting a new phone in a couple of days....I will need one NOW. Get it now? Things have changed.

I might have to get a spare phone now. Kinda like a spare key except this key will be $500 and up. Maybe I will get a spare phone that simply has the ability to run the app - with simplified Bluetooth pairing and perform all of the functions necessary to run my car.

I don't know? I suppose I will just roll with the punches.

No, I don't. If your phone doesn't work it means you use the key card for a few days. Which is already in your wallet so it is less convenience for driving than losing your keys.

True, however it does allow ease of hands free unlocking if the phone needs to be charged. I am assuming my phone is on the belt clip, and I normally remove it and place it in the charge dock every time I drive. Since Bluetooth connects automatically for phone calls, maybe the RFID card can remain in the shirt pocket.

That makes sense. Would be a big change of habit for me, since by phone tends to stay in my jeans pocket while I drive. Fishing it out while seated in order to plug it in would be a (minor) hassle.

All in all, I think key fobs are a bit like television remote controls. Ultimately, most folks prefer the ease of having a dedicated, 100% reliable, device. Given all the problems Telsa has had in the past with novel door operations, I can't believe they deviated here from the industry-standard of providing a fob.

Reactions: Mark Z
I'm confused. Why would you need a spare phone? The whole point of the key card is to let you use the car if the phone doesn't work. The phone is just a convenience.
I quoted earlier that the key card is a spare key, however the phone will be known as the primary key. Just like I can use a spare key for my 2017 Kia Sorrento....I don't want to use it on a daily basis because its a hassle.

There are things that the phone does that the phone won't and I would like to keep all functions of a $50K car working. Its just that simple for me.

The key card isn't an auto unlock and lock mechanism.
The key card isn't a device that would allow me to pre-heat or pre-cool the cabin.
The key card isn't a device that would allow me to do a lot of things - albeit some phone functions aren't necessary for driving.

That makes sense. Would be a big change of habit for me, since by phone tends to stay in my jeans pocket while I drive. Fishing it out while seated in order to plug it in would be a (minor) hassle.

All in all, I think key fobs are a bit like television remote controls. Ultimately, most folks prefer the ease of having a dedicated, 100% reliable, device. Given all the problems Telsa has had in the past with novel door operations, I can't believe they deviated here from the industry-standard of providing a fob.
Its not an RFID card. Its an NFC card.

Not much different from leaving your key in the car, really, other than you might pull out your phone to dock it. That said, Tesla should probably have an audible alert if your key phone is still docked after you leave the driver seat or open the door (analogous to legacy alerts cars had when key was left in ignition).
If Tesla is allowing a phone to act as a fob, then all features of a fob should remain in place with a phone. That's what I think.

We'll get more details eventually, but Bluetooth LE does not need to "connect" in the traditional sense. It's a broadcasting standard where data and advertising packets can be constantly transmitted. It's possible that the car will be constantly broadcasting. This is the reason that the Tesla app will also be needed on the phone (for security). So, broadcasting once/second, for example, your doors would/could unlock long before you ever reach the car. I think this is how it'll work.

The downside I see is what someone mentioned a few posts back -- leaving one's phone in the car (intentionally or accidentally) may leave the car unlocked.
I think you are mixing things.

1, Bluetooth can be used to lock and unlock the car.

2. The APP and its functions are driven via GSM.

Maybe yes, maybe no. If the car has built in WiFi & LTE it's possible that the phone will be able to operate the car even when out of normal cell range.
Its already stated that it has the same communications as the S and X ( GSM ). No maybes there.

Convenience

• Onboard maps and navigation
  • Wi-Fi and LTE internet connectivity
  • Keyless entry and remote climate control using the Tesla app
  • Voice activated controls
  • Bluetooth hands-free calling and media streaming
  • 60/40 split folding rear seat to maximize cargo options
  • Back-up camera
  • Auto dimming rear-view mirror
  • One-touch power windows throughout
  • Power-adjustable side mirrors
  • 12-volt power outlet

Maybe yes, maybe no. If the car has built in WiFi & LTE it's possible that the phone will be able to operate the car even when out of normal cell range.
For what purpose ?
The door operation and car start-up are by local Bluetooth between the phone and car.

I am delighted with the phone as key approach, even though it will force me to change my usual habit of forgetting my phone at home. I'll quickly learn to keep the phone in my pouch -- which does travel with me. Only now, uncluttered by a key Fob.

Are you implying that if the vehicle doesn’t have cell service but is connected to a wifi network, the app won’t function?
I'm not implying anything. Your cell phone works ( external communication wise ) via GSM and/or Wifi. So does your car.

What is difficult about that?

Your phones "non Bluetooth" apps ( that require external communications ) won't work unless you connect to the internet via either WIFI or your GSM based data package.

I'm not implying anything. Your cell phone works ( external communication wise ) via GSM and/or Wifi. So does your car.

What is difficult about that?

Your phones "non Bluetooth" apps ( that require external communications ) won't work unless you connect to the internet via either WIFI or your GSM based data package.
There’s absolutely nothing difficult about it, that’s how I would expect it to work. But you wrote:
“2. The APP and its functions are driven via GSM” which to me implies that a specific technology is necessary.

A few days ago I would have thought to myself “he doesn’t mean GSM, as long as there’s an internet connection it will work” and leave it at that. But it was stated in a different thread that once the car goes to sleep it requires a text message to wake it up, which would mean a connection to the cell network is required.

I quoted earlier that the key card is a spare key, however the phone will be known as the primary key. Just like I can use a spare key for my 2017 Kia Sorrento....I don't want to use it on a daily basis because its a hassle.

There are things that the phone does that the phone won't and I would like to keep all functions of a $50K car working. Its just that simple for me.

The key card isn't an auto unlock and lock mechanism.
The key card isn't a device that would allow me to pre-heat or pre-cool the cabin.
The key card isn't a device that would allow me to do a lot of things - albeit some phone functions aren't necessary for driving.

I'm obviously missing something here. Yes, it only works nicely if you have a phone. But why do you need a spare phone? Normally you use the phone, and in cases where it is out of charge or whatever you use the card key. That presumably will be very rarely, just like when you need to use the spare Kia key.

Reactions: SageBrush
Its not an RFID card. Its an NFC card.

And, if that's true, how does that make a difference? It sounds like the card will still need to be within inches of the on-board receiver (transmitter?) since it needs to draw power from that onboard source. That means that (unlike a fob) it can't stay in your pocket but needs to be stuck in the console. The keycard is only a good permanent substitute for a fob if the range is a few feet and it can be read through clothing. That proximity sensing is what's important.

And, if that's true, how does that make a difference? It sounds like the card will still need to be within inches of the on-board receiver (transmitter?) since it needs to draw power from that onboard source. That means that (unlike a fob) it can't stay in your pocket but needs to be stuck in the console. The keycard is only a good permanent substitute for a fob if the range is a few feet and it can be read through clothing. That proximity sensing is what's important.
The difference is in how often you will use the secondary method.

My key Fob is the same: if the battery dies I can place it on the dash.
Not real convenient since my Fob is buried in my pouch, but so what ? I've never used it that way.