Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 entry via ... keycard & app. No fob.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To my smartphone point, read this Pew poll from January of this year:

Record shares of Americans now own smartphones, have home broadband

Roughly three-quarters of Americans (77%) now own a smartphone, with lower-income Americans and those ages 50 and older exhibiting a sharp uptick in ownership over the past year, according a Pew Research Center survey conducted in November 2016.

Again: why should Tesla move in the "wrong" direction on this trend?
Because its not necessary as it pertains to Teslas goals. There is nothing wrong with fobs.

Tesla wans to "Accelerate" the use of sustainable energy. You cripple your goals by isolating folks via technology.

I can't imagine that there were a plethora of folks complaining about fobs that spurred this change. Personally I absolutely LOVE the idea of using my phone in this way, however I also realize that there is a marketshare of folks who will not buy a tesla if they have to use a smartphone. That's 77 million potential folks in that there are only 325 million people in the US.

Last edited:
Reactions: N5329K
If we were to make a Venn diagram of "smartphone owners" and "potential Model 3 owners", the overlapping portion would be overwhelming.

Why cater to the very small percentage that falls outside that Delta?
Excellent and visual.
With 500k sales, 3rd parties could easily estimate if the sliver of non-tech savvy owners justifies developing a Bluetooth fob to fill this market...

Surely I think Tesla and their engineers would be competent enough to make sure this works as intended. After all, it is pretty crucial thing to make sure the car locks and unlocks and is able to drive reliably. Guess we will see once we start seeing reviews.

You always have the keycard (I'm certainly not going to leave it behind). I'm not really concerned about it not working, more about there being edge cases where I walk up to the door and it hasn't unlocked yet, as well as details like whether you can tie a phone to driver profile and can it tell when I'm getting in the drivers side and my wife in the passenger side that I'm going to be driving (my wife's CRV can and will adjust the seat to me in that case).

As you say, it will be interesting to hear how people like the new system.

Except that they cost $300-400 to replace.

Ease of manufacturing.

Production Hell.

If they've found ANY way to streamline that, they should be applauded and not resisted.

GO TESLA!!! I WILL GLADLY USE MY PHONE THAT I'VE ALREADY PAID FOR INSTEAD OF A $300 KEY FOB!!!!!!!

Although other car manufacturers are able to provide keyless entry using fobs that cost a lot less than $300. But they don't look like little car models, and I think Tesla would rather have a novel technology ("your phone unlocks your car!") than provide a boring fob like other companies. I've learned to live with that Tesla attitude, but I can certainly see how other people might just want a boring fob.

Reactions: Chris L
Although other car manufacturers are able to provide keyless entry using fobs that cost a lot less than $300. But they don't look like little car models, and I think Tesla would rather have a novel technology ("your phone unlocks your car!") than provide a boring fob like other companies. I've learned to live with that Tesla attitude, but I can certainly see how other people might just want a boring fob.

I'm just tired of the prevailing attitude that there has to be SOMETHING to complain about on here. Do you have a phone? Cool. Are you interested in a Model 3? Cool. You're gonna be OK.

Are you interested in a Model 3, but can't wrap your head around spending $150 to get yourself into the cheapest Android smartphone?

Then a Bolt or Leaf may be for you.

But seriously.....you're going to need your smartphone ANYWAY to check on Supercharging status, pre-condition the interior, etc etc. Tesla's just adding the key fob functionality to an app that already exists.

• Love
Reactions: EchoDelta and Runt8
Some here still aren't getting it --

Think about where Tesla is headed. Full autonomy. Ride sharing.

"“So there will be a shared autonomy fleet where you buy your car and you can choose to use that car exclusively. You can choose to have it used only by friends and family… or other drivers who are rated five star. You can choose to share it sometimes but not other times."

Tesla is planning ahead.

Are we getting it yet? — Steve Jobs

Phone entry makes it possible FOR A CUSTOMER to load Tesla's app, REQUEST AN AUTONOMOUS RIDE, and enter a locked car with just their phone.

Removing all buttons from the car did two things:
- It simplified manufacturing
- It makes it possible to lock out ANY/ALL features from third parties (ride sharing customers)

You loaned your car to Tesla's network -- did you remember to lock your glove compartment?? Who cares? The glove compartment is opened through the touchscreen and a ride-sharing customer doesn't have access to that feature.

Elon believes this is close enough to plan their entire car around it...

I'm really curious how the phone based locking an unlocking will work. I think I have what might be pretty common scenario... My car will be parked in my driveway. Right next to my drive way is my bedroom. Next to my bed is where I plug in my phone to charge at night (Needs to be there, the phone is my alarm clock). So when I go to bed, my phone will be within 5 feet from my car (just through a window/wall). How do I guarantee my car stays locked?

Also, another question. If i'm relying solely on my phone to unlock and start the car... what happens if i'm driving and for some reason my phone dies. In the past 5 years, i've been unlucky enough to have two different phone spontaneously stop working (one just went blank, the other entered a boot-loop).. What will the car do when it looses it's phone connection while in transit?

The only people who don't own smartphones, aren't going to buy a Tesla.
I have a Model 3 reservation and own Tesla stock and do not own a smartphone. If Tesla sells 2 million Model 3s in two years, and 15% of those people do not own smart phones, that's 300,000 people you're telling have no business buying a Tesla. What car do you suggest they buy? You need to expand your world view. BTW, I'm tech savvy, have engineering and law degrees, and was likely programming computers long before you were born.

Last edited:
We are. The lack of toxins being released into the air from these 500K cars is a pretty good start.

I hear the Bolt comes with a key fob. Same mission, different package.

That's Elon's dream....accelerating sustainable transport.
Yes....accelerating "not walking".

Anywhoo..... I hate it when we can't talk facts and everything has to be "feel good" type discussions. I can oblige that also I suppose.

I have a Model 3 reservation and own Tesla stock and do not own a smartphone. If Tesla sells 2 million Model 3s in two years, and 15% of those people do not own smart phones, that's 300,000 people you're telling have no business buying a Tesla. What car do you suggest they buy? You need to expand your world view.
Excellent post.

Don't say your story too loud. @ModelNforNerd might hear you. <-----that was sarcasm for those interested. I was told to mark my sarcasm because its not always obvious.

I have a Model 3 reservation and own Tesla stock and do not own a smartphone. If Tesla sells 2 million Model 3s in two years, and 15% of those people do not own smart phones, that's 300,000 people you're telling have no business buying a Tesla. What car do you suggest they buy? You need to expand your world view. BTW, I'm tech savvy, have engineering and law degrees, and were likely programming computers long before you were born.

77% of the US population has made the switch.

Perhaps those without smartphones are due to change their world view.

The car is not supposed to be all things to all people.

Heck....what about the Amish? They dislike electricity AND cars....AND smartphones.

What should Tesla be doing for them?

Reactions: kingjamez and Runt8
I have a Model 3 reservation and own Tesla stock and do not own a smartphone. If Tesla sells 2 million Model 3s in two years, and 15% of those people do not own smart phones, that's 300,000 people you're telling have no business buying a Tesla. What car do you suggest they buy? You need to expand your world view. BTW, I'm tech savvy, have engineering and law degrees, and were likely programming computers long before you were born.

I think 15% of Model 3 buyers not having smart phones is quite unrealistic. 1-2% maybe.

Tesla's solution is pretty simple... either pony up for the more feature rich Model S or get a smart phone.

Pro Tip, getting a smart phone is cheaper.

//addendum

If there's enough of an uproar over this then Tesla can always pivot and add this as an option or option package... "traditional keyless entry" and they add a push button start and a pair of key fobs to the car for $750 for those who insist on it.

I'm really curious how the phone based locking an unlocking will work. I think I have what might be pretty common scenario... My car will be parked in my driveway. Right next to my drive way is my bedroom. Next to my bed is where I plug in my phone to charge at night (Needs to be there, the phone is my alarm clock). So when I go to bed, my phone will be within 5 feet from my car (just through a window/wall). How do I guarantee my car stays locked?
I don't know. Its not an issue with a fob.

I'm sure there will be some kind of "Ignore my phone's Bluetooth autolock" option and you can use the app to lock your car manually.

Yes....accelerating "not walking".

Anywhoo..... I hate it when we can't talk facts and everything has to be "feel good" type discussions. I can oblige that also I suppose.

"Feel good" as in, a car company who is actually trying to do good for the environment ALSO has to take time out of their production ramp to hold the hands of a shrinking minority of citizens who refuse to move on to smartphones?

Look.....they've built a compelling car that's fulfilling an important mission. Meet them in the middle, ffs.