Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 front suspension clunking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the KW Part and the noise is gone.
i cut the Tesla Part open and i think the plastic cap is too weak causing the ruber, to knock inside, the KW part is made of aluminium instead of plastic.

greetings from Austria

Attachments

• 20231125_142204.jpg
    20231125_142204.jpg
    656.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 20231125_142209.jpg
    20231125_142209.jpg
    540.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 20231125_142211.jpg
    20231125_142211.jpg
    551.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 20231125_142218.jpg
    20231125_142218.jpg
    614.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 20231125_142307.jpg
    20231125_142307.jpg
    614.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Is this component you have changed located at the top of the suspension? So you disassembled the suspension and changed that piece?

From the photos it looks like this, but I'm not an expert and I didn't understand.

Could you also attach the link where you purchased the product?

Thank you

@whenryb How would the stiffness of those bushings cause clunking? That doesn't make sense to me TBH. The bar should be rotating smoothly within the polyurethane bushings. I've had aftermarket sway bars with polyurethane bushings on other cars without any such issue. I drove those cars in freezing weather all winter long, chasing every snowstorm.

Perhaps an end link bolt was just slightly loose, but at warmer temps it snugged up? I'm not sure that last part is realistic or not (the bolt being more snug at warmer temps). As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I had a front end chunk on this car from a really big hit (huge missing piece of road) that knocked an end link just slightly loose. I couldn't feel anything loose by hand, but the sway bar would shift under load. This was stock sway bar and stock end links.

What is extremely typical with polyurethane sway bar bushings is they need to be re-lubricated periodically. On those cars where I ran aftermarket sway bars I tried many different kinds of lube and while most of them worked, none lasted. The initial symptom of the lube wearing out was just squeaking though, not clunking.
Someone should try using ptfe instead of polyurethane just because they are naturally slippery so no lubricant is needed. Just my observation. Maye I will explore this idea further when I am all caught up with my control arms mod.

Last edited:
We stock these KW tophats but they aren't cheap! You can email us if you'd like a pair and we can make a custom order for you. We tested them against the OEM tophats and the durometer is indeed different. I did not notice a difference in sound, but it seems like European cobblestone roads are more likely to bring out noises than what we drive here.

We stock these KW tophats but they aren't cheap! You can email us if you'd like a pair and we can make a custom order for you. We tested them against the OEM tophats and the durometer is indeed different. I did not notice a difference in sound, but it seems like European cobblestone roads are more likely to bring out noises than what we drive here.
I have a set from MPP arriving soon, will install this weekend and report (cobblestone roads in New England, and pot holes abound).

I’d been fighting an audible front-end clunk for a while. It mostly happened when “floating” over the top / backside of bumps, when load on the wheels was low-to-zero.

I replaced my top mounts and saw no change.

I replaced both lower control arms and compression rods, which fixed the problem. I need to go back and swap one at a time, but I believe my ball joints were going bad. I do not know if it was the A-arm ball joints or the CR ball joints.

I suspect daily driving with spherical bearings in this arms, plus a lot of racing, just put a lot of focused stress on those ball joints. I will consider them wear items going forward.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I've had some front end creaking/clunking for a while. Front upper control arms had been replaced so that narrowed it down to the lowers in my mind. Changed to winter tyres today and spotted this torn bush on the lower compression link, so pretty sure this is causing it. Already bought a pair of Powerflex replacements so just need to find the time to fit them and hopefully I can listen to the radio at normal volume again. :rolleyes:
20231201_141433 copy.jpg

Sad to say, the top hat$ from KW did not solve my clunk.

I do have what seems like loose half shafts or excess gear lash…can someone confirm you have a similar sound with one wheel in the air…

That sound is similar to what I hear over small bumps and slower / slow speeds.

Sad to say, the top hat$ from KW did not solve my clunk.

I do have what seems like loose half shafts or excess gear lash…can someone confirm you have a similar sound with one wheel in the air…

That sound is similar to what I hear over small bumps and slower / slow speeds.
I’ve replaced lower arms and drive shafts and noise is still there. Don’t think it’s the top mounts either. I have that play in my diff too. Maybe someone here without the sound can check for us if their diff is the same?

Last edited:
Reactions: Two-rocks
I've had some front end creaking/clunking for a while. Front upper control arms had been replaced so that narrowed it down to the lowers in my mind. Changed to winter tyres today and spotted this torn bush on the lower compression link, so pretty sure this is causing it. Already bought a pair of Powerflex replacements so just need to find the time to fit them and hopefully I can listen to the radio at normal volume again. :rolleyes:
I bought a set of powerflex on black friday too. We might be the first Tesla customers? I haven't seen any reviews. I'm hoping they hold up. Lifetime warranty sold me on them. I think I've replaced 6 sets of arms now in some shape or form (2 torn bushings, 2 clunking ball joints, 1 installing sphericals, 1 removing sphericals).

I checked the parts catalog and Highland has a new part number. I wonder if these are interchangeable? They must know this isn't a durable part.
1701637962445.png

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood
I bought a set of powerflex on black friday too. We might be the first Tesla customers? I haven't seen any reviews. I'm hoping they hold up. Lifetime warranty sold me on them. I think I've replaced 6 sets of arms now in some shape or form (2 torn bushings, 2 clunking ball joints, 1 installing sphericals, 1 removing sphericals).

I checked the parts catalog and Highland has a new part number. I wonder if these are interchangeable? They must know this isn't a durable part.
View attachment 996049
What happen to the sphericals? Because it cause the ball joints failure?

View attachment 996049
Tesla must be revising the material used in these bushings as even in my circle of friends who own Model 3s we've all had to replace them at least once and these aren't high mileage cars. Assuming NVH isn't affected noticeably, I think I'd still prefer to fit the Powerflex versions now they're available. Poly bushes will always outlast rubber ones and the bonus is a slight improvement in handling and braking stability.

There has to a better solution. Maybe using multi grade of urathanes (hardness) warp/coil within the bushing and a ptfe at the mounting bush/bolt to prevent binding which create noises. Something that create a progressive deflection rate if that's possible?

I never thought I would buy a new car and have all these problems. I really appreciate everyone's work to try to resolve this, but is it possible that Tesla can't and doesn't do anything?? Unbelievable.

Can't we collect signatures to solve this problem? there are many of us who have it