Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Full Self-Driving Capability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was waiting for Software 9 to see if there was anything which required FSD option, and I got mixed responses. But since my ISA said he can't re-do the paperwork to add the option (with out pushing delivery date) I decided to skip the option for now. Hopefully Tesla will do another 2 week trial when ever FSD is open and give a reduced cost to add when they finally release it.

I don't know if any non-insider really has a good feel for where the split will be with respect to EAP and FSD functionality. I.e. there may be some really cool features that get added in well before the car is truly full-self-driving capable, that are only part of the FSD package. And maybe some would view those as being "worth it".

I'm of the opinion that eventually FSD will be great. I would love to be able to take my hands off the wheel for long distance trips. On an annual trip I take I get on I-81 in the middle of Virginia and don't get off again until about 2 exits before Canada. We are on that road for over 8 hours, and it would be awesome to just do the trip at night and sleep the whole way.

But realistically I think we are a lot further away from that vision than most people think. And even then, maybe that level of autonomy can be achieved, but having the car drive to the grocery store to pick up groceries automatically, or even drive across town by itself to pick up my wife (so we could cut down to one car) is even further out. So while I am eventually totally on board with FSD, I'm not going to pay for something now that doesn't come to its full potential for at least 5 more years.

Reactions: Matt L
Judging from the rumours and leaks regarding v9, which is to become available at the end of this month, it looks like Tesla has no actual FSD features included in the release (suggested lane-change on highway was the big whoop). If so, they are re-starting from absolute zero after a rewrite of the architecture since Karpathy took over, are awaiting a hardware upgrade to v3.0 CPU sometime (probably late) next year, thus I would realistically expect very scant FSD progress in the next 3 years.

The video we all saw in the showroom with the car driving itself around the countryside, which I for one was told was ready for release as soon as the legal framework was in order, is now suspected to have been a PR set-up using the previous generation Mobileye hardware, i.e. impossible to realise now.

I would say put the money into some shares at this (low) point.

Reactions: Nocturnal and RTPEV
I decided to wait and will add it later if/when FSD has enough features that seem useful to me, is shown to be safe, and is legal in my state.

It just seems like we're still many years out from these cars being able to safely, reliably, and efficiently handle the complexity of urban self-driving.

Reactions: RTPEV
I was waiting for Software 9 to see if there was anything which required FSD option, and I got mixed responses. But since my ISA said he can't re-do the paperwork to add the option (with out pushing delivery date) I decided to skip the option for now. Hopefully Tesla will do another 2 week trial when ever FSD is open and give a reduced cost to add when they finally release it.
What? Your ISA is wrong. He most certainly can do it without pushing out the delivery date. I know, because I asked mine to do it, and he said no problem, and 3 days later I got the email that said the order was modified, and I picked up my car just a few days after that. It's just a software configuration...

The timeline was: Aug 23rd, first email contact. I wrote back confirming the details and asking if I could add FSD without pushing back in the queue. He called me on Aug 25th to re-confirm details, confirmed that he could add FSD for $3k plus tax, and that it would not push anything back. I got the email on Aug 29th confirming the change to my order. He called me on Aug 30th and told me I could get it Sept 1 or 2. So really, there was no delay at all.

What? Your ISA is wrong. He most certainly can do it without pushing out the delivery date. I know, because I asked mine to do it, and he said no problem, and 3 days later I got the email that said the order was modified, and I picked up my car just a few days after that. It's just a software configuration...

My ISA told me the same thing his did- Adding FSD would push back my delivery date as I would lose the car and have to be rematched to a different car.

Even after getting him to agree it made no sense, that it was entirely an OTA software push, he still insisted he could not do it without my losing the VIN assigned to me and waiting for a new one.

I used contact us in my tesla account to complain about it and never got any reply at all FWIW.

My ISA told me the same thing his did- Adding FSD would push back my delivery date as I would lose the car and have to be rematched to a different car.

Even after getting him to agree it made no sense, that it was entirely an OTA software push, he still insisted he could not do it without my losing the VIN assigned to me and waiting for a new one.

I used contact us in my tesla account to complain about it and never got any reply at all FWIW.
was your ISA also ExxY?

I purchased FSD. One of the neat things about owning a Tesla is it gets better over time. My guess is that at some point new advanced features will be added that don't allow true self driving but significantly extend the capability of EAP. However, they will only be available if you purchased FSD. Will there be disappointments along the way, absolutely and I suspect the current hardware won't be adequate anyway but it beats having a car from another manufacturer where the car never gets better. So why stop at EAP? I'd much rather look forward to early FSD features over the new few years even if the end game is true self driving requires upgrading to a newer Tesla.

Reactions: ksb467
I purchased FSD. One of the neat things about owning a Tesla is it gets better over time. My guess is that at some point new advanced features will be added that don't allow true self driving but significantly extend the capability of EAP. However, they will only be available if you purchased FSD. Will there be disappointments along the way, absolutely and I suspect the current hardware won't be adequate anyway but it beats having a car from another manufacturer where the car never gets better. So why stop at EAP? I'd much rather look forward to early FSD features over the new few years even if the end game is true self driving requires upgrading to a newer Tesla.
What sort of partial or pre-FSD features do you expect? IMO, Tesla is not going to add stop-light and stop-sign detection as a partial / beta feature because that is a “feature” that will kill the driver if it doesn’t work 100% correctly 100% of the time. I suspect all that FSD purchasers will get next year, aside from the free upgrade to next-generation EAP/FSD computer hardware, is better autonomous highway driving (e.g., no nag screens if regulations permit).

The next improvement I see coming is visual detection of speed limit signs (as an override to GPS-based speed limit data) but I suspect anyone with EAP will receive that capability.

With the current version of hardware and software, what can a FSD car do that an EAP car can't?
Nothing.

Last edited:
What sort of partial or pre-FSD features do you expect? IMO, Tesla is not going to add stop-light and stop-sign detection as a partial / beta feature because that is a “feature” that will kill the driver if it doesn’t work 100% correctly 100% of the time. I suspect all that FSD purchasers will get next year, aside from the free upgrade to next-generation EAP/FSD computer hardware, is better autonomous highway driving (e.g., no nag screens if regulations permit).

The next improvement I see coming is visual detection of speed limit signs (as an override to GPS-based speed limit data) but I suspect anyone with EAP will receive that capability.

Nothing.

At some point, and I'm not optimistic it will be in the next year or two, initial FSD features will still require IMO the driver to pay attention and take over at anytime.
I certainly don't believe FSD will be released without local regulation wanting some initial level of driver involvement. Owners with FSD will get whatever these updates turn out to be EAP owners won't.
Exactly what those are I don't think anyone can predict with any certainty but that along with some level of free EAP/FSD computer hardware make for an interesting future.
If on the other hand FSD doesn't happen then I would certainly expect to get my money back and I'd be ok with that. Very disappointed but ok.