Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 gets an "A" for headlights and "Superior" Front Crash avoidance from IIHS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Worth mentioning that Tesla puts higher stock (and does better) in the NHTSA testing. Also, some manufacturers have been accused of building to the tests (e.g., small overlap), but skimping in other untested areas.
That's why the IIHS started doing small overlap tests on the passenger side also. They found several cars that were improved on the drivers side only.

Worth mentioning that Tesla puts higher stock (and does better) in the NHTSA testing. Also, some manufacturers have been accused of building to the tests (e.g., small overlap), but skimping in other untested areas.

Probably because the NHTSA star rating is the big test everyone knows about. Better marketing to nail 5 stars on that one as it is listed on the Monroney (Window) Sticker that every car shopper sees. IIHS ratings aren't on the window sticker, so it may be easier to go under the radar for not being a "top safety pick" or rating Poor in a category.

Probably because the NHTSA star rating is the big test everyone knows about. Better marketing to nail 5 stars on that one as it is listed on the Monroney (Window) Sticker that every car shopper sees. IIHS ratings aren't on the window sticker, so it may be easier to go under the radar for not being a "top safety pick" or rating Poor in a category.
Plus, this years IIHS top pick is next years poor rating. IIHS tests demand continual improvement that most companies cannot achieve during a product cycle.

Surprised the headlights only got an "A" considering how bright and well it covers the area in front of you.

My wife's 2016 Mercedes C300's has the LED headlights and like those I'm sure the M3's headlights provide a bright white light, which does a great job of illuminating a wide path, but like the Mercedes, fall short of providing adequate focused illumination down the road. I've yet to see a LED headlight without being "lensed" which provides adequate illumination down the road to not be "over driving" the headlights at highway speeds. I guess the auto high beams may help, but as can be seen from the rating, they fall short of optimum also.

My wife's 2016 Mercedes C300's has the LED headlights and like those I'm sure the M3's headlights provide a bright white light, which does a great job of illuminating a wide path, but like the Mercedes, fall short of providing adequate focused illumination down the road. I've yet to see a LED headlight without being "lensed" which provides adequate illumination down the road to not be "over driving" the headlights at highway speeds. I guess the auto high beams may help, but as can be seen from the rating, they fall short of optimum also.

A lot of the issues have to do with U.S. regulations. The big 3 German brands all have some form of selective high beams - in essence, high beams are on all the time and they can block out portions where there is traffic yet the rest of the area is well illuminated. Unfortunately, that technology is verboten in the U.S.

I had no issues with overdriving my Audi's LEDs.

A lot of the issues have to do with U.S. regulations. The big 3 German brands all have some form of selective high beams - in essence, high beams are on all the time and they can block out portions where there is traffic yet the rest of the area is well illuminated. Unfortunately, that technology is verboten in the U.S.

The laser headlights that BMW makes had to be certified by the FDA before they could be sold.