Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 headrest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of my M3 yesterday—awesome! I did notice on the way home that the head restraint was pushing my head forward. Having taken a Gokhale workshop in posture I definitely need to adjust the seat as recommended. Posture is super important for our health and wellness. I may have to use Gokhale backrest cushion I bought awhile back. A98D6CF2-B3DE-4763-85A9-B0929F4DAF93.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I just took delivery of my M3 yesterday—awesome! I did notice on the way home that the head restraint was pushing my head forward. Having taken a Gokhale workshop in posture I definitely need to adjust the seat as recommended. Posture is super important for our health and wellness. I may have to use Gokhale backrest cushion I bought awhile back. View attachment 484910
Welcome!

My wife had that experience on delivery of ours last year, and was worried she’d be perpetually uncomfortable in our wonderful new car. She just notched the seat back backward a bit, and is still grinning 28000 miles later.

I just took delivery of my M3 yesterday—awesome! I did notice on the way home that the head restraint was pushing my head forward. Having taken a Gokhale workshop in posture I definitely need to adjust the seat as recommended. Posture is super important for our health and wellness. I may have to use Gokhale backrest cushion I bought awhile back. View attachment 484910

Check out post 21

I think the model 3 is a great car and probably even a better overall package than the model S. I would probably have gone with a model 3 over an S, except it has one big flaw. I'm not sure why it isn't discussed more often, but I know others have noticed it too. I want to convince other people to get the model 3, but I don't want to mislead anyone.

The headrest is very awkward. You can't adjust it and it protrudes forward. When sitting back, it puts you out of alignment and could cause health problems down the line. It's probably not a problem for heavier people, but how do the rest of you deal with this? I can imagine long drives are not so comfortable.

Before you reply denying the problem, please take a moment to really think about it and simply look at your seat from the side and you can clearly see what I'm talking about.

We took delivery of our Model 3 in August. 13,000 miles later I find the head rest just right for me. Granted I am only 5'7". I drive about 90 minutes (1 way) to work 5 days a week. Very comfortable for me.

I think the model 3 is a great car and probably even a better overall package than the model S. I would probably have gone with a model 3 over an S, except it has one big flaw. I'm not sure why it isn't discussed more often, but I know others have noticed it too. I want to convince other people to get the model 3, but I don't want to mislead anyone.

The headrest is very awkward. You can't adjust it and it protrudes forward. When sitting back, it puts you out of alignment and could cause health problems down the line. It's probably not a problem for heavier people, but how do the rest of you deal with this? I can imagine long drives are not so comfortable.

Before you reply denying the problem, please take a moment to really think about it and simply look at your seat from the side and you can clearly see what I'm talking about.
I found this thread by searching on Tesla Headrest Misaligned, also wondering why it isn’t discussed more. While riding as a passenger and leaning back, my spine rode properly on the back support but my head was on the edge of the headrest. I looked at the driver and saw their head was similarly misaligned but in mirror image, though not actually touching the rest. Having ridden in say 100 cars including rentals and loaners I don’t recall having see this before and I’d hardly call this either a safety or comfort feature. At this point I consider it a flaw.

Bodies and postures are individual, but I don't have an issue with the model 3 headrest. It is not unlike most cars I've driven or rode in, so I'm disinclined to say the Tesla is abnormal.

Don't know about you, but I rarely sit with my entire upper body / shoulder in full contact with the seatback. In such posture, the headrest is perfectly supportive and comfortable.

Only car I owned that lacked head support (comfort wise, not safety wise) was a s2000. They changed it in later production runs to be more forward. I'm inclined to say that - similar to the Tesla - is the more proper position

Katz-YHO26-2T.jpg

s2000-red-seats-blue-car.png

I've just done my first long distance journey in my M3 and I have to agree with posters who are uncomfortable with the head restraint/rest. When I lean back, my head seems to slide past one side of it. I'm trying to work out whether the seat is actually angled facing slightly to the left of the wheel - or if my body is malformed. Whatever, there is something a bit strange going on.

I REALLY think there's no standard best way to position seats, or to rest, or not rest, one's "head". We are blessed with diversity.

My (minor) complaint about the seats is that I'd prefer a more "bucket" feel. As it is, my butt seems to drift to the left edge of the seat, and that part is flattening. Maybe it's a bit lopsided and I need to go in to have it "looked at" or replaced?

BTW - They have some cool inexpensive seat covers in China. LOTS of alternatives, tons of little shops making them. Aside from the Model 3 specific headrest, that might require just chucking the top, is there a real issue with air-bags?

China Factory High Quality Universal Size 3d Pu Leather Car Seat Cover P7426 - Buy Universal Car Seat Covers,Pu Leather Car Seat Cover,3d Car Seat Covers Product on Alibaba.com

High Quality Luxurious Wholesale Universal Full Set Pu Leather Car Seat Covers - Buy Pu Leather Seat Cover For Car,Seat Cover For Car,Black Leather Car Seat Cover Product on Alibaba.com

All Season Universal Size For 5 Seat Car Seat Covers P2412 - Buy Car Seat Covers,Seat Covers,All Season Seat Cover Product on Alibaba.com

I prefer more bucket also but then you get people with big trunks complaining that the seats are uncomfortable.

After a few months my trunks report being mostly beatific in that seat. The head cushions really keep everything together. My spine's been shot for decades. I set it up so my neck rests on it, that makes it very buckety. It's been, how you say, "transformative". Like intensive care unit. Then my wife started wanting cushion for co-pilot chair. Give 'em an inch ... now she's talking about wanting a Model Y. AND a Cybertruck.

Reactions: KenC
After a few months my trunks report being mostly beatific in that seat. The head cushions really keep everything together. My spine's been shot for decades. I set it up so my neck rests on it, that makes it very buckety. It's been, how you say, "transformative". Like intensive care unit. Then my wife started wanting cushion for co-pilot chair. Give 'em an inch ... now she's talking about wanting a Model Y. AND a Cybertruck.
I think I have a pair of the same ones.

Problem solved. Followed this video...
... to remove the unremovable headrest. Did not bother bending the bars because simply flipping it around is the solution. Put it back in. Fantastic improvement. Now the headrest (yes, head support safety feature) is fairly straight up-and-down where it still protects my head from whiplash in a rear-end collision, yet it does not push my head so far forward. I have a chronic herniated disc in my neck. Cannot have my head pushed forward like that. Solved!
--JS

I test drove a Model Y for about 45 min and I did start to get a headache. I have neck problems in general so this is preventing me from pulling the trigger on a Y or 3, however the adjustable head restraint in the model X is just fine. Just need to save up a little longer for it.

I test drove a Model Y for about 45 min and I did start to get a headache. I have neck problems in general so this is preventing me from pulling the trigger on a Y or 3, however the adjustable head restraint in the model X is just fine. Just need to save up a little longer for it.
My wife was able to solve her neck/head comfort problem by tweaking the angle of the seat back since the headrest isn't adjustable. Made her happy, but every body is different.