Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The last couple of Model 3 Performance cars are selling for under $40k right now. Even at $55k the I4 M50 is still overpriced.

View attachment 1020676
This post proves my point about EV demand anyway. Tesla has to sell M3Ps at steep discounts to move them. But at the same time a new M3P will sell like hotcakes at 55k plus? Which is it? If given the choice between a 55k m3p or a 60k i4 m50, I would bet the majority of average car buyers take the BMW every day of the week and twice on Sundays. The M3P will have to be very special or maybe the new model will be to sell them at 45k per your post above.

Last edited:
A car this slow to 60mph wouldnt even be on my radar. Hopefully Tesla will deliver a new M3P with a 0-60 starting with 2 with and without rollout.
1000071637.jpg

A car this slow to 60mph wouldnt even be on my radar. Hopefully Tesla will deliver a new M3P with a 0-60 starting with 2 with and without rollout.View attachment 1020689

Yeah that’s “slow”. Give me a break dude. I specifically said i wasn’t starting a flame war over the i4 m50 being better but the two cars are in fact frequently compared. You might prioritize a faster 0 to 60 and I might prioritize a better suspension.

It’s so weird they way some here defend Tesla to the death. Like it’s personal. The Plaid is an awesome cruiser. But it’s no Taycan (we were discussing the Taycan Turbo). I’d venture to guess Tesla isn’t even trying to compete with a Taycan. Apples to oranges.
🤔I think you just made my point! I Wasn’t trying to say the Plaid was a better performance car at all. It’s fantastic for what it is and the Taycan drives circles around it no doubt, but Porsche fanboys😉 are just as passionate about their brand…am I wrong. Credit where credit is due though…it’s the lunatic racing drivers that can only ever truly experience what either car is fully capable of. Daily driving these on the street, which is my use case, doesn’t even come close to pushing them and if you are you shouldn’t be. So it comes down to bragging rights and forum banter and maybe a red light romp to which the Plaid is king…for now!🤣

This post proves my point about EV demand anyway. Tesla has to sell M3Ps at steep discounts to move them. But at the same time a new M3P will sell like hotcakes at 55k plus? Which is it? If given the choice between a 55k m3p or a 60k i4 m50, I would bet the majority of average car buyers take the BMW every day of the week and twice on Sundays. The M3P will have to be very special or maybe the new model will be to sell them at 45k per your post above.
Tesla doesn't "sell M3Ps at steep discounts to move them". They sell them at prices lower than everyone else because they can. They have such huge margins and they produce them so efficiently that they can discount the prices and still remain profitable all while capturing 50%+ of the EV market.

That I4 M50 is a 5,000+ lb pig. It has terrible interior space and cargo capacity and it really isn't that quick at all. It also is horribly inefficient and only has CCS1 charging.

I looked it up and I couldn't see any place that was advertising anything less than $70k for new I4 M50. Most of them are listed at $80k+. That is getting close to Plaid territory.

Honestly, your assessment of the BMW I4 M50 is deluded. That car is no where close to what the current $40k Model 3 Performance is much less the upcoming Ludicrous Model 3.

We are talking about a hypothetical new M3P at 55k. This post makes no sense. You are moving the goal posts. I’d still pay 10k more for an i4 for a variety of reasons so to me it wouldn’t matter anyway. And you are comparing 2023 lame duck cars to new 2024 i4s? Not sure I understand your point.
The point is that even a "lame duck Model 3" is better than that I4 M50. That isn't a very good EV at all. I still don't understand what people see in it.

However, I want to be clear that I believe BMW is capable of making one of the best EVs on the market. When they finally commit to making an I4 that is a ground up EV it will be quite incredible. It will be expensive but it will be an extremely capable machine. Only time will tell when they actually deliver that car to us. For now a Ludicrous Model 3 will work for my needs just fine.

Tesla doesn't "sell M3Ps at steep discounts to move them". They sell them at prices lower than everyone else because they can. They have such huge margins and they produce them so efficiently that they can discount the prices and still remain profitable all while capturing 50%+ of the EV market.

That I4 M50 is a 5,000+ lb pig. It has terrible interior space and cargo capacity and it really isn't that quick at all. It also is horribly inefficient and only has CCS1 charging.

I looked it up and I couldn't see any place that was advertising anything less than $70k for new I4 M50. Most of them are listed at $80k+. That is getting close to Plaid territory.

Honestly, your assessment of the BMW I4 M50 is deluded. That car is no where close to what the current $40k Model 3 Performance is much less the upcoming Ludicrous Model 3.
Then you didn’t look very hard. The street price for an i4 m50 is about 62k after incentives. With some work m, 60k is achievable. These are with an MSRP of 75k. I paid 62k for mine and incentives have improved since I bought it. It’s the best selling M division car BMW makes so clearly some people are buying them. This isn’t about BMW v Tesla it’s about how Tesla can make the M3P compelling. Not to the 15 fanboys here but the millions who buy cars. The M3P at 55k will be a tough sell. That’s my position. We can all wait and see whether I’m right or wrong. If I’m wrong it’s because Tesla has upped its game. So I hope I’m wrong.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
The point is that even a "lame duck Model 3" is better than that I4 M50. That isn't a very good EV at all. I still don't understand what people see in it.

However, I want to be clear that I believe BMW is capable of making one of the best EVs on the market. When they finally commit to making an I4 that is a ground up EV it will be quite incredible. It will be expensive but it will be an extremely capable machine. Only time will tell when they actually deliver that car to us. For now a Ludicrous Model 3 will work for my needs just fine.
Maybe your definition of better. I’ve owned both cars. And under my definition, the i4 is “better” for my purposes. It depends what you prioritize. We’ve already hashed this out here. There are pros and cons to both cars. Statements like the “m3P is better” show you lack objectivity.

Reactions: Flipcyde
Then you didn’t look very hard. The street price for an i4 m50 is about 62k after incentives. With some work m, 60k is achievable. These are with an MSRP of 75k. I paid 62k for mine and incentives have improved since I bought it. It’s the best selling M division car BMW makes so clearly some people are buying them. This isn’t about BMW v Tesla it’s about how Tesla can make the M3P compelling. Not to the 15 fanboys here but the millions who buy cars. The M3P at 55k will be a tough sell. That’s my position. We can all wait and see whether I’m right or wrong. If I’m wrong it’s because Tesla has upped its game. So I hope I’m wrong.
Here is my prediction. Tesla will sell every single Ludicrous Model 3 they can make this year before any of the cars hit the lot. The wait times for the car will steadily increase throughout the year to the point that some people will consider buying them used just to get one. Meanwhile the demand for the I4 will continue to decline despite the incentives increasing every month.

Says the guy with the econobox that could pass for a less attractive Corolla but with worse build quality and looks the same as 6/10 cars on the road. But hey, you’ll beat the soccer mom to Starbucks from the red light so that’s cool.
Why are you even here? This statement alone says that you hate the Model 3. Ok great. They obviously aren't going to offer whatever it is you want in a Model 3 so why are you still here? You have nothing of any relevance to offer to this conversation.

Here is my prediction. Tesla will sell every single Ludicrous Model 3 they can make this year before any of the cars hit the lot. The wait times for the car will steadily increase throughout the year to the point that some people will consider buying them used just to get one. Meanwhile the demand for the I4 will continue to decline despite the incentives increasing every month.
The is prediction is meaningless unless you tell me how many they are making. Are they keeping supply low to increase perceived demand? How are they pricing them? Are they 55k 45k 70k? Will they discount them after launch to boost sales? So many variables. Silliness. Seriously you are predicting a sellout of a car we haven’t even seen yet. Utter blind fanboy! Please pump the brakes on this yet to be seen car that we have zero information on. As I’ve said 100 times, I hope you are right because it means they made a great car!

• Funny
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Why are you even here? This statement alone says that you hate the Model 3. Ok great. They obviously aren't going to offer whatever it is you want in a Model 3 so why are you still here? You have nothing of any relevance to offer to this conversation.
Then you haven’t read (or can’t comprehend) a thing I’ve said. Do better. The statement was tongue in cheek brother. It is a silly as yours about the i4. How about you just acknowledge the i4 is great car with different attributes than a model 3. Some better some worse. My point has nothing to do with the i4 anyway. It’s just an example of competition in the market. You may think no one cross shops these cars but I can assure you they do. Many of the guys on i4 talk came from or cross shopped against the m3p.

Again, let's be honest with ourselves. I can't think of anyone cross-shopping Tesla's quickest econobox(M3P) with a Taycan that will cost at least twice as much. I personally made the decision to dump my 2023 M3P for a 2021 Plaid for several reasons, rather than wait for this mysterious Highland M3P Ludicrous Plaid whatever with dubious specs and pricing to come out. BTW, if you buy a Plaid through Tesla, you get an additional 1 year/10K miles added to the warranty. Point is, I want the big mama jama that is larger, has a way nicer interior, is more comfortable, has ALL the power, and is extremely capable in day-to-day driving. I couldn't care less about sharpness of turn-in or initial bite of the brakes. If you do, cool, have at it.

Reactions: arkhos and JezzaE
The is prediction is meaningless unless you tell me how many they are making. Are they keeping supply low to increase perceived demand? How are they pricing them? Are they 55k 45k 70k? Will they discount them after launch to boost sales? So many variables. Silliness. Seriously you are predicting a sellout of a car we haven’t even seen yet. Utter blind fanboy! Please pump the brakes on this yet to be seen car that we have zero information on. As I’ve said 100 times, I hope you are right because it means they made a great car!
My prediction has been that the car will be less than $60k. I don't know how much less. It could be $59,990 or $54,990 or who knows what. They will make THOUSANDS of this car this year and they will sell them all. Many times the number of BMW I4 M50s that are made.

Here is a great example of why I think this car will sell well. The 2023 Model 3 LR was selling for about $35K after the full $7,500 tax credit from inventory around Christmas. Then the new Highland came out with a price increase, without the tax credit, and zero inventory discounts. It now sells for $47,490 which is a $12,250 price increase for the Highland upgrades.

So you would expect that demand would decrease, right? You can get a "leftover" Model 3 Performance or even a Model Y for so much less than a Highland Model 3 LR. Instead the Highland Model 3 LR has sold out and right now the wait time has increased to April-May. Tesla even RAISED the price to try to tamp down demand and that didn't work.

And yet you are trying to tell me there would be no demand for a 660 HP 10 second Model 3 Performance for $55K? You are wrong. Just simply wrong.

Then you haven’t read (or can’t comprehend) a thing I’ve said. Do better. The statement was tongue in cheek brother. It is a silly as yours about the i4. How about you just acknowledge the i4 is great car with different attributes than a model 3. Some better some worse. My point has nothing to do with the i4 anyway. It’s just an example of competition in the market. You may think no one cross shops these cars but I can assure you they do. Many of the guys on i4 talk came from or cross shopped against the m3p.
I never said people don't cross shop those cars. Certainly people compare them. However, they aren't really in the same price range at the moment. Even with your claimed discounted price that car is still $10k+ more expensive than any Model 3 Tesla is offering at the moment. Plus the BMW doesn't have NACS. That kills it for many people.

Reactions: JezzaE