Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you are underestimating the used car market as it exists today, particularly for Teslas. A used Tesla is like the plague. Ignore list prices. Go in low and see what happens.
And to quote myself, this is why a 55k M3P is probably going to be a very tough sell in 2024 once the initial nerds (like us) buy them. Someone before speculated that the Hyundai will have ADMs which is laughable. That would only happen if (a) Hyundai artificially limits supply and (b) you're an idiot who likes to burn money.

And to quote myself, this is why a 55k M3P is probably going to be a very tough sell in 2024 once the initial nerds (like us) buy them. Someone before speculated that the Hyundai will have ADMs which is laughable. That would only happen if (a) Hyundai artificially limits supply and (b) you're an idiot who likes to burn money.
It will in the beginning like everything else. Even the Mach-Es and regular Ioniqs had ADM when they came out due to limited supply. Obviously once they reached a level of equilibrium, they can't get rid of them without thousands of dollars of discounts. Same will happen to the Ioniq N. There will be some nerds who run out to buy the first ones and will probably get hit with ADM.

It will in the beginning like everything else. Even the Mach-Es and regular Ioniqs had ADM when they came out due to limited supply. Obviously once they reached a level of equilibrium, they can't get rid of them without thousands of dollars of discounts. Same will happen to the Ioniq N. There will be some nerds who run out to buy the first ones and will probably get hit with ADM.
This is ABSOLUTELY true. The markups on the Elantra N was in the 5-10k range. The Ioniq 5N will guaranteed have markups. That’s going to push it into the 85k range easily if not more. They predicting a starting price of 70k which seems on the low end so let’s say 75-79k before an 8k markup you’re well into mid to high 80s before taxes for a Hyundai.

We'll have to agree to disagree here. M3P at 55k would probably sell in the numbers they expect. Very few Plaids will be selling for under $70k. And people who are stretching for $55k are not necessarily going to be cross shopping cars that cost 15-35k more.

Completely agree with your sentiments. I’ll also add that if Tesla does decide to set the upcoming M3 P/L/Plaid price at $55K, they will sell like hotcakes and likely exceed any early projected sales volumes.

Personally and for selfish reasons, I hope Tesla prices the new M3 P/L/Plaid close to $70K. Of course, the resulting performance numbers would need to be worthy of a $70K price point. Part of me wants this particular vehicle/trim to be more exclusive, so we don’t see as many of them on the road.

The M3 SR and LR trim can be (& is already priced) for the masses. So, the M3P/L/Plaid should be made to have the performance (and priced accordingly) to cater to enthusiasts!!! 🤞 🤞

Reactions: arkhos
I will bet you that the Hyundai Ioniq 5N will have $10k+ markups at least initially. Never trust a Hyundai/Kia dealership to do the right thing.

We'll have to agree to disagree here. M3P at 55k would probably sell in the numbers they expect. Very few Plaids will be selling for under $70k. And people who are stretching for $55k are not necessarily going to be cross shopping cars that cost 15-35k more.

I would tend to agree with that last point. I really had to dig deep (and do quite a bit of convincing with the wifey) to go for an M3P versus a LR or SR+. I probably made some decisions that weren't the smartest, financially, to make it all happen, but I'm glad I did. If the price increase is more than a few thousand dollars, it would absolutely price me out of the market for one.

Reactions: arkhos
I would tend to agree with that last point. I really had to dig deep (and do quite a bit of convincing with the wifey) to go for an M3P versus a LR or SR+. I probably made some decisions that weren't the smartest, financially, to make it all happen, but I'm glad I did. If the price increase is more than a few thousand dollars, it would absolutely price me out of the market for one.
Oh decisions I've made weren't the smartest either. If we were all making wise financial decisions with regards to car shopping, we'd all be buying 2 year old Corollas or something along those lines and just putting the rest of the money in our retirement accounts and investment portfolios. I see cars as a hobby, and I was willing to spend some extra money to have some more fulfillment in my life, especially while I have some semblance of youth remaining.

Completely agree with your sentiments. I’ll also add that if Tesla does decide to set the upcoming M3 P/L/Plaid price at $55K, they will sell like hotcakes and likely exceed any early projected sales volumes.

Personally and for selfish reasons, I hope Tesla prices the new M3 P/L/Plaid close to $70K. Of course, the resulting performance numbers would need to be worthy of a $70K price point. Part of me wants this particular vehicle/trim to be more exclusive, so we don’t see as many of them on the road.

The M3 SR and LR trim can be (& is already priced) for the masses. So, the M3P/L/Plaid should be made to have the performance (and priced accordingly) to cater to enthusiasts!!! 🤞 🤞

Carbon roof, proper 2pc brake rotors, more front caster, adjustable front and rear camber, rear LSD, drag strip mode that heats the battery and chills the drive units.

I’ll also add that if Tesla does decide to set the upcoming M3 P/L/Plaid price at $55K, they will sell like hotcakes and likely exceed any early projected sales volumes.
I think you are misreading the current state of the EV car market which is a complete dumpster fire in the US but nothing I say will convince you otherwise. I guess time will tell.

Reactions: buckets0fun
I think you are misreading the current state of the EV car market which is a complete dumpster fire in the US but nothing I say will convince you otherwise. I guess time will tell.

Specifically, in Q4 2023, EV sales hit a record for both volume and market share, with sales reaching 52% higher than in the fourth quarter of 2022. Americans bought 317,168 EVs between October and the end of December 2023, representing 8.1% of all new cars sold.

I'm not sure how you define dumpster fire, but "record sales" usually ain't it.

A few specific (mostly legacy car maker) models are having trouble moving, but EVs as a whole continue to grow sales as they have for years, and will keep doing for years.

Specifically, in Q4 2023, EV sales hit a record for both volume and market share, with sales reaching 52% higher than in the fourth quarter of 2022. Americans bought 317,168 EVs between October and the end of December 2023, representing 8.1% of all new cars sold.

I'm not sure how you define dumpster fire, but "record sales" usually ain't it.

A few specific (mostly legacy car maker) models are having trouble moving, but EVs as a whole continue to grow sales as they have for years, and will keep doing for years.
The dumpster fire refers to pricing pressure, discounts, incentives and poor resale values. I think a $55,000+ model 3 in any trim will be a hard sell in 2024. We can revisit my post in a year or two and see how it goes.

The dumpster fire refers to pricing pressure, discounts, incentives and poor resale values. I think a $55,000+ model 3 in any trim will be a hard sell in 2024. We can revisit my post in a year or two and see how it goes.
I think performance models generally do sell in far fewer numbers than LR/SR, but that's to be expected. The profit per unit is much much higher to account for this. The model 3 performance is the cheapest 0-60 in 3.0 car you can get by a HUGE margin. I really don't think raising the price from the old price of $52k to $55k will reduce sales at all.

Now if the M3P jumps up to $70k+ then yes, it'll probably become a more niche product.

I think performance models generally do sell in far fewer numbers than LR/SR, but that's to be expected. The profit per unit is much much higher to account for this. The model 3 performance is the cheapest 0-60 in 3.0 car you can get by a HUGE margin. I really don't think raising the price from the old price of $52k to $55k will reduce sales at all.

Now if the M3P jumps up to $70k+ then yes, it'll probably become a more niche product.
For these reasons, Tesla may not care how it sells in any event.