Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to order either a Ludicrous or LR ASAP. Get with the program Tesla and announce this already so I can make my mind up. It's almost all leaked anyway, only the price really is the one thing we don't know at this point.

Same here, I just want to know the price. I think if it's over 80K CAD (60K USD), I'll just go for the LR. Although it looks awesome from the leaks so far, it will be really hard to justify ~20K over the LR. Not to mention increased insurance costs.

My new guess is that youtuber videos release alongside official messaging from Tesla sometime tomorrow. Let it spread around social media over the weekend with ordering opening up on Monday.

Interesting. So it’s a bit less efficient as you’d imagine from the wider tyres than the outgoing M3P but wonder what it’ll be on the 19’s. Great news they offer those as having wiped 2 tyres out at the weekend on a pothole at night on the 20’s they just aren’t practical.

Old M3P was a WLTP range of 340 miles and the LR in the pre-highland was around 380 miles I believe. A rated range difference of 40 miles and maybe similar difference in real world.

The difference is much higher now as the Highland LR has a WLTP of 390 on 19’s and 421 on 18’s vs 328 on the M3L so that’s almost 100 miles less though I suspect the 19’s which also are 265 at rear will have a slightly better range.

Be a hard decision, quite a bit more range to give up this time potentially when the lower models go further and the top end now goes slightly less distance.

Oh and just to say I know there’s a few US tests that say the Highland doesn’t go as far as the pre-facelift but they forget to mention that the battery is smaller for people in the US. It was smaller already in Europe as we already had the LG battery so the car definitely goes further than it did pre-facelift when the battery capacity is the same.

Interesting. So it’s a bit less efficient as you’d imagine from the wider tyres than the outgoing M3P but wonder what it’ll be on the 19’s. Great news they offer those as having wiped 2 tyres out at the weekend on a pothole at night on the 20’s they just aren’t practical.

Old M3P was a WLTP range of 340 miles and the LR in the pre-highland was around 380 miles I believe. A rated range difference of 40 miles and maybe similar difference in real world.

The difference is much higher now as the Highland LR has a WLTP of 390 on 19’s and 421 on 18’s vs 328 on the M3L so that’s almost 100 miles less though I suspect the 19’s which also are 265 at rear will have a slightly better range.

Be a hard decision, quite a bit more range to give up this time potentially when the lower models go further and the top end now goes slightly less distance.
You can always have a set of cruising wheels that are 235/40/19 square with ultra efficient tires on them. You wouldn't be able to do maximum 0-60 mph in them but you would be able to get MUCH better highway efficiency especially at slower speeds.

I am definitely going to get a second set of wheels with ultra efficient tires and just switch back to the standard 20” wheels when I go to the track.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
You can always have a set of cruising wheels that are 235/40/19 square with ultra efficient tires on them. You wouldn't be able to do maximum 0-60 mph in them but you would be able to get MUCH better highway efficiency especially at slower speeds.

I am definitely going to get a second set of wheels with ultra efficient tires and just switch back to the standard 20” wheels when I go to the track.
Yes this could be the way of course as realistically it’ll just be the tyres you’d think affecting the range. Obviously this time does have a different motor from the LR which might be more or less efficient but doubt there’s much in that. Still have to see when it’s up on ordering what the 19’s suggest, they might move the needle enough not to bother.

Also wonder and expect then if it’s like the LR the 18’s are in the base price and it’s £1.5k here in the UK more for the 19’s. So 19’s standard here and 20’s then be an additional cost seems likely.

Be nice if Acceleration Boost returned on the LR so can consider that also. We all think it’ll return but don’t know for sure. Maybe they are holding it back because the extra power is too much for the efficient tyres they put on the cars.

Last edited:
Should really compare with the 3L equipped M3P which had 352mi WLTP / 315mi EPA range. It's a significant reduction in efficiency.
Yeah I guess my wife has a 2023 M3P so she’s on the LG pack already here in UK. I’m generally fine with the range we get on it and the drop was only 40 miles from a previous LR but now it’ll be closer to 100 as the LR now goes further but the M3L is going to go less distance so yes the gap is much larger.

This figures though will be on the 20’s I imagine, 19’s should come in better so need to see what they get with those. Be worse if those are the 19 numbers.