Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 4 1/2 years I have purchased two M3s both with FSD which has cost me a total of about $21,000

I would love to buy this M3P and I would do it now except it really eats at me to spend $8000 more for FSD.

Maybe the best way would be to subscribe to FSD for $99 a month and then it wouldn't bug me as much.

Reactions: PhaseWhite
In 4 1/2 years I have purchased two M3s both with FSD which has cost me a total of about $21,000

I would love to buy this M3P and I would do it now except it really eats at me to spend $8000 more for FSD.

Maybe the best way would be to subscribe to FSD for $99 a month and then it wouldn't bug me as much.

I honestly think the sub is definitely the way to go. You should be able to stop the sub anytime you want, and unless you keep the car ~6.5 years or more, you won't break-even if you buy FSD outright now (unless my math is off) vs. the sub.

Of course, I guess the sub could change price down the road and go up?

Have you been able to confirm if the gearing is the exact same as before? Is there any possibility that the gearing on the rear motor has changed?
Yes. The registration has all those details.
  • The gearing is identical on all Model 3/Y also stated explicitly for the 4D2.
  • The 4D2 is a 4D1 with the 950A Inverter. The 4D1 was already used in the Model Y in Austin/Fremont, but with the 840A Inverter.
  • The 4D1 in direct WLTP testing against the 3D6 (Chinese Performance Motor) was 3% less efficient. Mostly due to a heavier rotor.
  • Tesla fixed the heavier rotor already with a revised motor generation 4D3 which is just coming out in Giga Berlin. The just released M3P will therefore not benefit from this improvement, but likely the new MYP later this year.

I'm kind of surprised how much whining and complaining there is here about the new Model 3 Performance. The new one, according to the early reports of those who have driven them, is faster, better handling, better braking, better riding, and has better seats. The acceleration also isn't supposed to fall off as much at higher speeds as the old M3P, plus it has all the Highland improvements like quieter, better fit and finish, ventilated seats, rear display, etc. And Tesla is selling it for the same price as the old M3P. Here in America, with the $7,500 federal tax credit, that puts it at $45,490. Is there any other new car that comes close to the new M3P's performance for that kind of money? I don't think so.

The new sustained peak power and torque stats from Tesla should speak for themselves. Not only accelleration definitely not falling off at the higher speeds (something I think the majority of us were really wanting) but also even at 50% battery, it's still hitting 60 mph in just over 3 seconds according to Rorys review from Auotrader. I know at 50% in my Ghost (Performance) 3 the shot to 60 definitely feels more than a few tenths slower. I think this little bit alone would be satisfying to know you can still drive it hard and not feel as much loss in power at lower SoC. Will be interesting to see what the real world results look like compared to the previous gen once we can get some solid testing done.

In the Autotrader review he popped off one of the aero covers and the wheel has provisions cast into it to clip on the cover unfortunately. If someone were to make a mini aero cover just big enough to cover those then that might look good.
Seems every other cover is already a mini cover. Perhaps you could just get 5 more of those?

1713939946439.jpeg

That Jason Camissa video was eye opening. He knows cars as well as anyone. If he was that impressed with the high speed acceleration then it must be drastically improved. He is not one to be easily impressed especially by EVs.
I watched it all the way through last night. It is a thoughtful review. He was most impressed with the ride and handling and very clearly articulated the limitations of the previous, passive system and how well the new active dampers work. This alone makes me curious to arrange a test-drive.

We know that the 4D2 peak power is higher, at higher rpms. I expect this is noticeable. There's area under the available power curve where more amps (power) could go to the rear motor and the video states that more power is going to the rear motor. It also notes that the battery is *now* the limiting factor.

The US-market '24 M3P is a great purchase! I would also be compelled to order one, however they're up-to 50% more costly here in the UK, for an inferior car. For that extra cost, I'd expect to receive a US made Panasonic battery. Depreciation in an EV-hating market is the final straw for me. US folks - enjoy your new M3Ps!

Last edited:
Did you guys see this from the China presentation?
  • This is the rear motor with claimed 265kW power, which is supposed to be a 20% power increase of the previous gen (which measured up to 269kW on CAN)
  • Worth noting that a fair bit of that power increase comes from a reduction at the front motor!
  • 0.7% lighter motor...ok.
  • Increased torque matches expectations for the "Insane Mode" increase.
1713946605663.jpeg

Last edited:
Did you guys see this from the China presentation?
The axis of the graphs have no scale, but by eye there is not a 20% increase in peak power. However it looks like a 20% increase in area under the curve. There is an increase in rear motor peak power, but what about the sum of front and rear motors?

Twitter link seems to have been deleted! lol.

The axis of the graphs have no scale, but by eye there is not a 20% increase in peak power. However it looks like a 20% increase in area under the curve. There is an increase in rear motor peak power, but what about the sum of front and rear motors?

Twitter link seems to have been deleted! lol.
The sum of combined power can not be above the battery limit (obviously). So, as I mention, part of the increase comes from taking away front power, which I've accounted for in my projections as well. So this chart is actually misleading in several ways, as you also point out.

The combination of more peak torque down low and a rear motor that can take excess power from the front, when that one drops off hard at speed, will give an overall good sensation of a faster car at all speed. I mean it will be a faster car at all these speeds. If the US car was offered in Europe, I'd sell my current 2022 M3P right now. So, anyone who ordered in the states. Good for you!

This is my tweet which includes the source and an improved picture:

GL6ihUEbwAAx3Oa.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve placed an order for this car in Australia. The fact that it comes with the LG pack is neither here nor there as far as I’m concerned. It will be my daily and the difference between the Panasonic and the LG pack is negligible below 70mph which is the maximum posted speed limit in this country. Tesla were charging a $100K for this car here 2 years ago and today it went on sale for $81K. An absolute performance bargain. I feel sorry for current M3P owners here. The value of their cars just dropped another 20% over night but hey, that’s Tesla.

Last edited: