Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another round of M3 price drops have just occurred in Australia a couple of minutes ago.
An AUD$3000 reduction for both standard and long range.

Starting price now AUD$58,900 for SR and AUD$67,900 for LR
That’s based on Tesla’s stupid “after estimated savings” deduction.

Drive away price for RWD is $64,295 and LR $73,673.

Ludicrous could still just sneak under the FBT threshold 🤞🏻

The current M3P traps a 1/4 mile at 117 or 118 (normally). I think some people here have gotten 119 with weight reductions and preconditioning and other hacks. But lets say best case scenario the new 3 traps a 126 or 127. That's going to be MILES slower than a Plaid which is around 150. I think even if you buy a new M3L for the straight line performance, you're going to feel a lot of FOMO looking across at the $60k Plaids...
I always think its interesting that people forget the standard model s refresh traps 130mph (even though its only ~3.1 0-60) Am I the only one that would rather have a model 3 trapping 130+ vs insane 0-60? The pull after 60 is what makes fast cars feel really fast.

Reactions: Sellout and TehEno
I always think its interesting that people forget the standard model s refresh traps 130mph (even though its only ~3.1 0-60) Am I the only one that would rather have a model 3 trapping 130+ vs insane 0-60? The pull after 60 is what makes fast cars feel really fast.
Nowhere to use that kind of speed around me. That is go to jail and have your car seized kind of speed. Give me constant torque to 60-70 mph and that is all I would ever need.

Quick 60’ wins races at the Dragstrip and not trap speed.

If it has to be one or the other i'll take quicker to 60. At 40k over the limit here your vehicle gets impounded and we have no more plate tags as police use automated readers to determine status.

Reactions: Lindenwood
I think 90% of that is pretty optimistic thinking 😅

I have a suspicion Elon is letting stock price drop holding back big news to get more shares for his bonus. Since he stated needing X percent of TSLA before he'd allow AI to get involved. But thats just me pontificating.

Im guessing 2.7s w/rollout and 10.9@123. Based on literally nothing.
1000076799.jpg

I remember being annoyed that Boosted LRs were “almost” as fast as Ps above about 60-70mph. Then I realized the parlor trick is in the 0-80 range, and above that quickly approaches major consequences. I’m absolutely okay with some clever mods to mostly improve 0-60, with only moderate gains in the second 8th to trap in the low-mid 120s.

Nowhere to use that kind of speed around me. That is go to jail and have your car seized kind of speed. Give me constant torque to 60-70 mph and that is all I would ever need.

Quick 60’ wins races at the Dragstrip and not trap speed.

I hear ya regarding go to jail speeds.... I don't know, the thing that has always made me shake my head (in a good way) with powerful cars is that they don't stop pulling - I much prefer that sensation.

Your other point - sure a 60ft is important but we're talking very fast 60fts already. Trap speed aka the more powerful car is still very important on the strip... I hope the new ludicrous has a nice increase in trap regardless.