Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had undersized 245/40/18 tires on my Model 3 Performance for a few months this year. When I had the seats in it would scrape the front on my driveway. My car is a 2022 model but it was made on the first day of production for the 2022 cars so it still has the 2021 slightly lowered suspension.

When I take the seats out the car rides a little higher and doesn’t scrape. Also when I switched back to 235/45/18 tires it stopped scraping even with a full interior.

My M3P is lowered another inch from the origially lower stance of the early M3P's, and I don't high center on things.
that rendering is probably 1” or 1.5” lower than a stock m3p. No way the new one will come that low out of the factory. You can definitely learn not to scrape pretty easily by going in at an angle everywhere like I do in my 718 spyder, but like even M3s and Corvettes have huge fender gaps. OEM ride height is always set for the most clueless customers.

It isn’t redundant. It is contradictory. Plaid implies 3 motors.
Eh, we only have one example of a plaid powertrain so far. If Tesla wanted to create a performance sub-brand in the guise of BMW M / Mercedes AMG etc, using the Plaid for that branding wouldn't be a terrible idea. That wouldn't necessarily preclude the lower end cars like the model 3 having fewer motors.

Reactions: JezzaE
Eh, we only have one example of a plaid powertrain so far. If Tesla wanted to create a performance sub-brand in the guise of BMW M / Mercedes AMG etc, using the Plaid for that branding wouldn't be a terrible idea. That wouldn't necessarily preclude the lower end cars like the model 3 having fewer motors.
They had a 100 KWh Ludicrious before and the major change to get to Plaid was 3 motors instead of 2. Plaid implies 3 motors and that is why Musk said they wouldn’t do a Model 3 Plaid.

They had a 100 KWh Ludicrious before and the major change to get to Plaid was 3 motors instead of 2. Plaid implies 3 motors and that is why Musk said they wouldn’t do a Model 3 Plaid.
I disagree. It's just a spaceballs reference that means "beyond ludicrous". Doesn't mean it has to have 3 motors necessarily. Just needs to be ****ing fast.

I'm surprised there have been so few leaks for this car. Come on, employees. 🙃

Also, bit worried they might find out a year down the line that no stalks was a mistake on such a high-selling car and leave us early adopters *sugar* outta' luck. I have to say, though, that new front is snazzy. Roadster 2.0 style. If it's faster, then I might not upgrade to an i4 m50 after all, and just get another Tesla. Mad hype.

I should stop visiting this thread every 20 minutes waiting for a new leak or announcement.

I'm surprised there have been so few leaks for this car. Come on, employees. 🙃

Also, bit worried they might find out a year down the line that no stalks was a mistake on such a high-selling car and leave us early adopters *sugar* outta' luck. I have to say, though, that new front is snazzy. Roadster 2.0 style. If it's faster, then I might not upgrade to an i4 m50 after all, and just get another Tesla. Mad hype.

I should stop visiting this thread every 20 minutes waiting for a new leak or announcement.
S3XY buttons will have aftermarket stalks so this isn't a big issue.

So are you suggesting the next Model 3 Performance will be as quick as a Model S Plaid? I am suggesting it will be as quick as a Model S Ludicrous and not as quick as a Model S Plaid.
The new Model 3 Performance will be quicker than a Model 3 Performance, so it cannot be called a Model 3 Performance. But it's not as quick as a 2018 Model S Ludicrous, so they MUST come up with a different name, because Performance, Ludicrous, and Plaid mean specific 0-60 and quarter mile times, everyone knows that, and they would be silly confused if some car manufacturer used silly names to mean different things on different car models.

/s

• Funny
Reactions: MarkoP and mpgxsvcd
The new Model 3 Performance will be quicker than a Model 3 Performance, so it cannot be called a Model 3 Performance. But it's not as quick as a 2018 Model S Ludicrous, so they MUST come up with a different name, because Performance, Ludicrous, and Plaid mean specific 0-60 and quarter mile times, everyone knows that, and they would be silly confused if some car manufacturer used silly names to mean different things on different car models.

/s
On a side note. Do you think the new Model 3 Performance won't be as quick as a 2019 Model S Ludicrous? I am starting to realize it definitely could be this quick.

IMG_1768.jpeg

Last edited:
So are you suggesting the next Model 3 Performance will be as quick as a Model S Plaid? I am suggesting it will be as quick as a Model S Ludicrous and not as quick as a Model S Plaid.
I have no clue. But I don’t think it really has any bearing on what they end up calling it. It really just depends on whether Tesla feels calling it plaid or ludicrous helps with the marketing to sell the thing.