Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's slightly problematic that they now have a huge inventory of Model Ys, when it was the best selling car in the world last year.

It'll be the best selling car in the world this year too (and at a higher total than 2023)

"huge inventory" for Tesla isn't what it means for others... legacy auto typically has ~60 days of inventory (and on some of their crappier EVs it's pushed 120 days).

Tesla averages about 16 days of inventory

Reactions: JezzaE and mpgxsvcd
That's slightly problematic that they now have a huge inventory of Model Ys, when it was the best selling car in the world last year.
Do you understand how many of the Model Ys they are cranking out right now? They have increased their sales every single year and their production is keeping up with that growth. In the past their production couldn't keep up with the demand.

I still find it hilarious that people expect Tesla to not have a single car sit on the lot for even one day while they just turn the other way when ICE manufacturers have a multi month supply of their best selling car sitting on the lot.

What you are missing is that they aren't raising prices to lower demand. They are instead raising prices to redirect demand.
I couldn’t disagree more with this statement. Has Tesla ever said this publicly? Or are you speculating? Educated buyers don’t make $40,000 purchases over web page splashes. They raise prices because they are in the business of making money. If they want to sell model ys, lower the price of the model y. Dont raise the price of the highland. Sorry. Your assertion is absurd. It’s possible that an indirect effect of a price raise is to cause someone to look at alternatives but that’s not why they do it.

• Funny
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I couldn’t disagree more with this statement. Has Tesla ever said this publicly? Or are you speculating? Educated buyers don’t make $40,000 purchases over web page splashes. They raise prices because they are in the business of making money. If they want to sell model ys, lower the price of the model y. Dont raise the price of the highland. Sorry. Your assertion is absurd. It’s possible that an indirect effect of a price raise is to cause someone to look at alternatives but that’s not why they do it.
Times have changed. Tesla's buying experience is totally different than the legacy dealers. Plenty of people buy a Tesla without ever going into a dealership at all now.

If you were buying a car right now and you saw a 3 month wait vs. a cheaper larger car right now you would probably consider the other car.

Reactions: JezzaE
It'll be the best selling car in the world this year too (and at a higher total than 2023)

"huge inventory" for Tesla isn't what it means for others... legacy auto typically has ~60 days of inventory (and on some of their crappier EVs it's pushed 120 days).

Tesla averages about 16 days of inventory

Agreed, but with the nuance that legacy auto leans on dealer network to hold that inventory. Tesla certainly has less buffer room as direct to consumer to get it off their books and really needs to get the demand thing right. So far it seems they are doing it quite well.

Reactions: JezzaE and mpgxsvcd
Agreed, but with the nuance that legacy auto leans on dealer network to hold that inventory. Tesla certainly has less buffer room as direct to consumer to get it off their books and really needs to get the demand thing right. So far it seems they are doing it quite well.
YEah and around me the service center has no parking space at all to accommodate holding inventory. It's a madhouse.

Wait there's ANOTHER "new" one opening?

I remember when it was off westgate and split between a tiny service location and just down the block a tiny sales one...

Then last I knew was the place on 70 that used to be a CompUSA or something?

What's coming next?

Wait there's ANOTHER "new" one opening?

I remember when it was off westgate and split between a tiny service location and just down the block a tiny sales one...

Then last I knew was the place on 70 that used to be a CompUSA or something?

What's coming next?
There's supposedly another new one coming on the east side of Raleigh. Or maybe somewhere else entirely?

Funny how big the current location seemed 4 years ago. Now it's swamped.

There's supposedly another new one coming on the east side of Raleigh. Or maybe somewhere else entirely?

Funny how big the current location seemed 4 years ago. Now it's swamped.
It is so incredibly hard to get in and out of that parking lot.

I want a Model 3 Performance Highland (to be released). I ordered a Model 3 highland AWD when they released it thinking I would have the Highland AWD in February or early March. I need another vehicle by end of March. A model Y for $40k after tax credit is enticing since the Highland will be $49k no tax credit. I can have a Model Y, one of 10 available now within a couple of days. Is it a nice as the highland inside, no but I can actually buy one and I save $8k.
I should add that I ordered a new Model S in June of 2021. I expected it by Nov-Dec 2021. I was told it was coming in Jan 2022, then Feb 2022. Received vin late Feb 22 and picked up mid March 2022. If the highland is like the S, who knows when I can actually have a car.

Last edited:
Looks like someone else thinks they are trying to redirect Highland Model 3 LR sales to the Model Y.

Either that or that’s where you got the idea. Either way it remains pure unsupported speculation. What if that price increase causes me to look at a Kia EV instead of a model y. Is that what Tesla intended? It would be pretty arrogant of Tesla to assume a price increase will drive people to another Tesla versus countless other options.