Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure they could scale S and X back anymore other than stop selling them completely. They dropped RHD markets with the refresh.

Model 3 Ludicrous name is a safe bet I think as is launch next month. I think it'll be launched in the US, EU and China at the same time. Maybe shipments might vary a bit but that's it. For instance China did a few months of LHD cars I think before the first RHD cars shipped for the Highland.

Reactions: phantasms
They know nothing. I just left Fort Lauderdale after testing the new 3 long range. Told them I'm waiting for the new performance. The rep that walked me to the car said "Who knows, as we all read X but nobody knows when it's coming". Then returned the key card to a different rep and told him I'll be back for the new P when it comes, he said "we expect later next year". Lol.

We already know, direct from Elon, there's nothing that'll be called the Model 2. And 3/Y are already near 95% of annual sales. So yeah, Reps just make stuff up or repeat rumors.

Does it really matter what it will be called, could be called the Model Z, Tesla Jelly Bean or the Tesla Celery Stick. Because it has no official name, I think its fine for us to call it the Model 2 for the time being.

Just above 200kW is the max I've seen, but whenever the rear loses traction there is the chance that excess battery power is shifted to the front and then the 211kW can be maxed out. Combined power with good traction at the rear makes it basically impossible to get to the 211kW at the front.

This actually means that even less power will go to the front as in the current config the rear motor peaks first at 70kph and then the front motor peaks at 90kph. With the new motor peaking later at aroung 112kph the rear motor will eat up more of the battery power with increasing speed, which will leave even less for the front.

Technically yes, but without available battery power and the fact that the Korean docs stated 158kW at given RPM, meaning it is still the 3D3A and not some altered 3D3B version...little chance I guess.

As mentioned above. Since the rear now peaks after the front and not before and the fact that the rear can now take up even more power/current. The front becomes less important, which is a good thing since we know the front is the weaker link.

At least for Europe (LG) I am struggling to see extra reserves in that pack, since it has such a big voltage drop under load that it gets close to the 260V lower limit pretty fast. The Panasonic does look like it can squeeze out a little extra, but this would mean that Tesla purposefully increases the power difference between US and EU/MIC spec cars even more. That is something I doubt.

Yes. Performance Motors with 840A/950A have a lower operating voltage of 320V.
What is the highest amperage you have seen for the combined front and rear motors at a given speed? I think the most I have seen is 1373A @ 55 mph. Is it possible that it could go higher than that with the current Panasonic battery?

0-60 is a torque limit of inverter. Not a battery, power or thermal limit.

What math tells you that torque limiter can't be expanded?

You realize that 0-60 Model 3 is almost completely tire limited and torque was artificially limited to not compete with Model S? Motors can take slightly higher torque in that range.

I honestly don't even know why 0-60 is still a thing. It's a dumb spec that shows tire compound and quality of tire slip control, which certainly better on EV.

Same dumb as a test of braking distance that only measures tire compound and ABS program quality.

But anyway, yeah, since you care - that's what they can easily do introducing Insane and Ludicrous. Just space it out evenly. Sport 3.0, Insane 2.7, Ludicrous 2.5, Ludicrous+ 2.3, Plaid 2.0. Or something like that.

We wont get above Ludicrous and even that one would come months later, I think as a purchase, because marketing.
I wasn’t the one making bold statements about zero to 60 times - you were. I was responding to you. Now after making those statements you are saying 0 to 60 doesn’t even matter? Talk about a bizarre series of posts. I’ll bet you $100 it doesn’t do it in 2.2 as you predict. If I’m wrong, I’ll happily pay up as I’m clicking the order button.

I wasn’t the one making bold statements about zero to 60 times - you were. I was responding to you. Now after making those statements you are saying 0 to 60 doesn’t even matter? Talk about a bizarre series of posts. I’ll bet you $100 it doesn’t do it in 2.2 as you predict. If I’m wrong, I’ll happily pay up as I’m clicking the order button.
lol does anyone actually think they would make a M3P as fast as a plaid 😂 (not saying you are the one that said it) but come on let’s be reasonable here. That’s the average 0-60 without rollout of a MSP

Here is my final prediction for the Model 3 Ludicrous and yes I believe that will be the name.

From the data that @eivissa has provided I believe that the front motor will be essentially unchanged and the battery for North America will be the 82.1 kWh Panasonic battery but perhaps it will have tweaks like better cooling that affect the performance slightly.

The new 950A(4D2) rear motor will be the biggest change. In combination with the new wider rear tires that will completely transform the performance of the vehicle. Not only will this motor provide much better top end acceleration but it will also be able to provide better acceleration from zero mph and on up with the added traction of the wider rear tires.

I went back and collected all of the data that Eivissa provided and used those as limiting parameters but I used my Panasonic battery data instead of the LG battery data. The graph below shows what I think is possible for the Model 3 Ludicrous vs. the current Model 3 Performance with the Panasonic battery.

I capped the max Amperage of the 950A rear motor at 909A in my assumptions because the current rear motor(831A) never gets to the theoretical 850A limit for that motor. I also allowed the max amperage of the combined motors to go up to 1,500A. That assumption may or may not be reasonable but it is hard to tell how much headroom the Panasonic battery has vs. the LG battery.

Basically my prediction is that the North American Model 3 Ludicrous will have a 485-500 KW Max Discharge Value but will achieve 480-485 KW in actual combined power vs. the 462 KW Max Discharge the current Model 3 Performance has in North America. This may be a little optimistic but my guess is that they are trying to advertise 650 HP(485 KW).

This graph below shows a 57 KW(76 HP) difference at 68 mph between the Model 3 Ludicrous and my fully optimized Model 3 Performance. However, the Model 3 Ludicrous also has a significant advantage over the Model 3 Performance below 60 mph which heating the battery doesn't help in the Model 3 Performance.

I predict this Model 3 Ludicrous will be significantly quicker at all speeds. My prediction is still 10.5 @ 128 mph and 0-60 mph in 2.5 seconds with rollout subtracted. 0-130 mph will be greatly improved but still limited by how much the front motor drops off in power at higher speeds. The Model S LR will still have a significantly quicker 60-130 mph.

I still predict sub $60K but sub $55K might be possible too.

Final Model 3 Ludicrous Prediction.jpg

Model 3 Ludicrous Data.jpg

Model 3 Ludicrous Data2.jpg

I still predict sub $60K but sub $55K might be possible too.
From a value perspective they can easily price it at $60k or even higher and it would be justified. However I think they will price it under $55k so people can utilize the tax credit and increase sales volume. Even though they are initially taking a hit on margin, they will make up for it by offering a Ludicrous mode boost option. Given the sheer number of people ordering it because of the tax credit, they would need minimal take rate for the boost option to increase their margins making this version very profitable for them.

I think this is why we'll most likely see "Insane" mode at release, which will be replaced by "Ludicrous" mode if/when someone purchases the speed boost.

Out of curiosity, could you please include the combination of Panasonic battery with 3D6 rear motor and 450NM torque. It looks like you've assumed 840A and 430NM for both the 3D1 and 3D6?
Torque at the motor is irrelevant. You only need to calculate the Horsepower graph. I just put those numbers for torque in the header because they were available. The torque numbers were not included in any calculations.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro