Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does this even matter? I mean since especially we in Europe will get the LG pack with discharge power limitation?
That's true, but I know a lot of people here care about those little details, so it should be mentioned.

Also, this new motor might be the new front and year contender for the MS/MX Refresh in the close future. In that setup the 4D2 might actually be able to climb all the way to 318kW.

I put $1,200 worth of wheels on mine and gained a tenth. Then gained almost 2 tenths more on the 1/4 mile by removing another 150 lbs.

I know they can’t reduce the weight that much but there absolutely is room for improving the power across the entire rpm range. This car is not maxed out for power especially off the line and above 55 mph.
It's almost as if you modified the car specifically for yourself because you wanted it to be faster. OEM's literally CAN'T make that choice because they want to sell the car to the masses. It's hard at that level.

I got half a second faster with a slow ICE car back in the day doing FREE modifications with a pocket knife and a screwdriver in 15-20 minutes. The point I made is true either way.

Where's your next tenth coming from?

Porsche sells six figure sports cars with incremental 0-60 improvements every year. People will buy it because it’s hard as hell for an OEM to improve a 0-60 time by more than a tenth at a time at this level.

So true, but they blind you with amenities in the interior and other little gimmicks. Something Tesla has failed to understand with just an iPad and continuously taking away things like stalks.....

Plus the Badge alone is worth 10000000's more than the Tesla badge

Is it? They literally sandbag all of their 0-60s in their marketing. Unlike a certain other company.
Unlike almost EVERY other OEM. It's just a different way of thinking. When they put the 400hp 911 S engine into a cayman in 2016, the GT division decided to market it as 385HP with a wink and nod saying "but it's Porsche horsepower"

They just don't advertise once in a while numbers, they advertise what the car will do nearly every time.

I didn’t realize the model three was so light at around 4000 pounds. No offence to any 911 owners, only comparing weight and acceleration here, but the 911 turbo S weighs 3600 pounds. I’m sure past the quarter mile the gearing on the Porsche will help it disappear into the sunset with no hopes of being caught by the new model 3P.

It's a strange concept I know. It's like people don't know how threads work. Last thing I wanna read about when I see that notification on the model 3 discussion thread is yet another off topic discussion on Porches or whatever 🙃

I mean, its not that I dont understand how forum discussions work, especially in long meandering threads like this one. The issue we have here at TMC though, is that while most people are well meaning and are just having a discussion that sometimes meanders around, there are more than a few who either have an Axe to grind, or a specific point they are trying to make on how horrible Tesla is about X and Y.

Its easy to take a large thread like this off topic just by dropping in a comment that is designed to "spur comments". Also, as long as there has been car forums, people of "the higher end model" will go to the forums of people with the "plebian lower end model" and tell them how much better their higher end model is.

5 Series BMW drivers go into 3 series forums and tell them how much better the 5 series is, E class buyers tell C class merc buyers that its not even a real merc, etc etc.

Model S / X Plaid purchasers discussing "I bought a plaid" in this thread is much the same thing. If people in this thread were interested in model S / X plaid, they would research it in those subforums.

If we didnt have people on TMC that specifically try to turn discussions "specific ways" I wouldnt care so much about the various thread meandering.

I didn’t realize the model three was so light at around 4000 pounds. No offence to any 911 owners, only comparing weight and acceleration here, but the 911 turbo S weighs 3600 pounds. I’m sure past the quarter mile the gearing on the Porsche will help it disappear into the sunset with no hopes of being caught by the new model 3P.
I promise you, the 911 turbo S will pass into the sunset before the 1/4 mile marker.. the 911ts is a beast and outlauches the m3l and just keeps on pulling.

Reactions: easyev
A 991.2 turbo + are so damn quick out of the box. My Evo makes similar peak power as the TM3 but 1100lbs lighter (ballasted). Launching its easier in TM3 buy orders of magnitude, but past about 10ft cause of traction the Evo just pulls past it. And a 991.2 turbo is faster.

But thats 150k+ and a legendary car that will never be irrelevant so cant be mad.

The one thing we haven’t discussed is the 60’ time. The current Model 3 Performance does about 1.80-1.81 for 60’ time when 100% stock. Heating the battery has zero effect on 60’ time. Cooling the motors is slightly beneficial.

I have had my 60’ time down to 1.75 on Dragy and 1.73 on a track slip.

I think the Ludicrous may get that down to a 1.65 or perhaps even as low as a 1.60 by utilizing a proper launch control.

I hafta say that the LAST thing I’d like to see is any sort of special, must-be-activated “Launch Mode”.

One of my favorite aspects of the Model 3 Peformance is that full power is available nearly all the time.

Simply modifying the motor control software to enable a quicker ramp to full power from a standstill would help a bunch with 60’ / from a dig performance…

Last edited: